VG30 oil pressure?

bitemedoughboy.com

for those of you with mechanical oil pressure gauges (not a dummy light) what pressure ranges do you run at? when cold mine puts out around 40psi at idle to 75 psi, but once everything is toasty it wont make over 45 psi and at idle is around 5-10 psi. i havent had a chance to look at my FSM to check the specs yet but i think my oil pump is on a downward spiral.

would a turbo oil pump from a vg30et or vg30det be worth the swap on a mostly stock vg30e? i also need to clean or replace my lifters soon, they're are a few that are ticking even when the revs are up on the engine. or could this be from the oil pressure?

from my haynes manual

V6engine

General

Oil preassure

At idle..................9psi

At 3200 rpm.........53-67 psi

do you have an oil filter relocation kit? the extra travel can lower preassure a little

not yet... someday

then ya your psi may be about 8 psi low, A 300zx oil pump(its been done before) will provide higher psi (60-70 IIRC) or you chould just change your oil slinger the next time you do a timing belt.

then ya your psi may be about 8 psi low, A 300zx oil pump(its been done before) will provide higher psi (60-70 IIRC) or you chould just change your oil slinger the next time you do a timing belt.

Might be tricky, IIRC you need the sump off to do it :aok:

Back to the question though, Mine runs about 60PSI @ mid-high revs. The scary thing is where my pressure reading is taken from (see pic) Start Pathy, 2 sec oil light goes out about 7 sec after that the gauge starts reading :blink:

BTW could your problem be oil? Just a thought, might be thinning out too much when warm.

Remote.jpg

Might be tricky, IIRC you need the sump off to do it :aok:

Back to the question though, Mine runs about 60PSI @ mid-high revs. The scary thing is where my pressure reading is taken from (see pic) Start Pathy, 2 sec oil light goes out about 7 sec after that the gauge starts reading :blink:

BTW could your problem be oil? Just a thought, might be thinning out too much when warm.

Remote.jpg

could be, but its still clean looking, i only run castrol gtx in my nissans, IIRC its 10w-40 thats in there. this morning it was about 26°f out and the pressure never got above 55 psi. i think im going to get a better oil gauge before i go tearing into the engine. the one i have now is a el cheapo ricer gauge from autozone. time for some autometer gauges.

has anyone made a gauge pod for the A-pillar before? ive seen them fabbed for the 280z's before, i was thinking about making one up from a spare plastic pillar cover and some fiberglass.

Before I seafoamed, my oil pressure was waaay low, it rarely ever hit the first line on the guage when it was warm, cold it seemed fine. After words, when its cold, it runs 2 needle widths above 60psi, and when its fully warm, idle it sits just below the first line on the guage, and on the freeway it builds up to a needle below 60 psi in general. Somtimes it will be more, and some days a little less.

Only once did my oil light come on, it was idling and the needle was banked all the way down, no oil pressure at all apparently.

The Seafoam could be coincidental, but since my lifter stopped sticking my oil pressure improved. If it's not coincidental and cleared some stuff out of the pump and what not, I would suggest doing that first to see if anything imroves

Edited by kingman92010

Before I seafoamed, my oil pressure was waaay low, it rarely ever hit the first line on the guage when it was warm, cold it seemed fine. After words, when its cold, it runs 2 needle widths above 60psi, and when its fully warm, idle it sits just below the first line on the guage, and on the freeway it builds up to a needle below 60 psi in general. Somtimes it will be more, and some days a little less.

Only once did my oil light come on, it was idling and the needle was banked all the way down, no oil pressure at all apparently.

The Seafoam could be coincidental, but since my lifter stopped sticking my oil pressure improved. If it's not coincidental and cleared some stuff out of the pump and what not, I would suggest doing that first to see if anything imroves

i seafoam a few times per year, so i doubt there is much crud in my engine. although my lifters have been getting worse, i have another set ive been meaning to take apart and clean (re-build) but i just havent gotten around to it.

My oil light comes on every morning when I first start the truck, then goes out shortly therafter (a second or two)

Could this be a bad thing...?

thats normal. It takes a sec or two for Oil preassre to rise when you first start the engine.

• 9 years later...

I'm running a Equus electronic oil pressure gauge (90* sweep) and the sender that comes with it has the set to where the dummy light trips on at approximately 11 psi per tech support.

Seeing how at idle is 9 psi, it would make sense that I should see the dummy light on most of the time at idle---annoying.

Now my question is since I don't have the FSM with me, at what pressure does the dummy light switch on for the factory setting?

EL-41 of the '94 FSM says the oil pressure switch should have continuity if the pressure is 1-3 psi or lower.

Wow, that's really low. At least I'll have a ballpark area to know if something bad is up on the gauge.