Power windows

jeffro

About 2 months ago I lost all power to my power windows on my '91. Until now this hasn't really been an issue. But now it is getting rainy and cold and would like to be able to put my drivers window all the way up. It is stuck about 2 inches down. anyway I have switched all relay's i can find with a known "good one" and cannot get the windows to function. I removed the switch and tested for power in the harness and continuity through the switch (while using all of the switches individually) and both were good. There is no fuse that is blown and the fusible link tests ok also. Does anyone know the specific location of the power window relay? I have pulled apart the passenger side kick panel and found the window "amp" but the only relay that I can find there is the one that controls my door locks. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated as I am beginning to get cold and wet out on the roads. :FartExplode-vi:

Thanks for you help!!

-Jeff-

Edited by jeffro

so there was power but they dont work is what your saying right? I had the same problem and i had to replace my drivers side switch. the old one was corroded on the pins and wouldnt get a go connection. idk thats whati h ad to to do. I had power going to my switches but they wouldnt work. see if u can jumper a few of the pins together and see if the window will go up and down. Thats what i had to do it get mine to go up and down until i figured out it was my switch connection

Edited by edicer2

so there was power but they dont work is what your saying right? I had the same problem and i had to replace my drivers side switch. the old one was corroded on the pins and wouldnt get a go connection. idk thats whati h ad to to do. I had power going to my switches but they wouldnt work. see if u can jumper a few of the pins together and see if the window will go up and down. Thats what i had to do it get mine to go up and down until i figured out it was my switch connection

Yes. Power to the switch. And power through the switch. I pulled the switch out and took it apart. Then I traced all of the little circuits and determined what pins to test during which button functions. It seems that all of the switches on my door are working properly. That is what is leading me to think of the relay or "amp". Is the amp just a box of relay's for all of the power windows, or does it have some other function? Also does anyone have a wiring schematic of this circuit on computer file? I have a manual but the chasis diagram doesn't have anything about power windows in it. Thanks again for all help!!

-Jeff-

I do not think the windows are on a realy, the fact that the switches on my 89 have some pretty heavy guage wire soldered to them is what leads me to belive this. But being older mine might be differant. have you taken the door panel off so see if the motor is burned up? or if the glides on the track have broke leading the cable all tangled(leads to motor burn up)?

If thats it and you replace it don't go OEM. the ones sold by "car parts" on ebay have a pulley instead of a glide and will likely last much longer.

well have you tried taking the door panel off and cutting the wire and hard wiring it to where the correct leads are on the switch plug. That way you by pass the switch. you can see if the window motor atleast works then. Just make sure you dont roll the window up to far otherwise the window motor will get stuck and you will have to tear it all apart to fix it. I didnt think it was one a fuse or anything i think they get power from the battery and are also on the igniton wire thats why you cant roll them down when the key isnt in it. idk though thats the way it seemed to me. thats also ow i traced it back to being a ****** switch connection. also they windows are on a loop if you have the switch disconnected on the passenger door you can roll it down from the drivers side until you connect the passenger side switch. You know what i mean?

Thank you all for your responses. I was able to get my hands on a power window amp today for a $1. That is how much they charged me to walk through the pull-a-part yard. They didn't end up charging me anything for the amp itself. Anyway, it did not fix the problem, as it sounds like many of you already figured. I am gonna try and get my hands on a drivers side switch asap (anybody have a spare lying around). I did find something interesting today though. I can energize the contacts in the amp (clicking noise, similar to a relay) by jumping a couple of wires on my drivers side switch. But none of the windows worked or even tried to. Is there supposed to be a a constant source of 12v going into the amp? Maybe the high amperage wires that will actually run the motors? I got the meter out and verified that i have good grounds but didn't have a good source for power going into the amp. Not sure this is my problem but thought I'd throw it out there for you guys to ponder. Thanks again for all the help.

-Jeff-

I have that problem & found if I bend the wires a little back & forth coming out of the drivers side master switch panel I can get the windows to work. So I just keep my switch panel loose from the door.

Have pulled 2 from the Junk Yard so far & neither worked as well

as the one I have now. :shrug:

yup i checked i do have one 30bucks shipped! i paid 25 at the junkyard for it and never even used it ik it worked because i tested it and found it was a connection problem and my other one was mint so i kept this one for a spare let me know