Roof Rack Off A Rodeo

lakeside707

I've been lookin for a factory roof rack for my pathfinder at the local wrecking yards for awhile and been coming short. They either have no pathfinders or pathfinders with no roof racks. i'd rather pay around $50 for a factory used than 3 times that much for a yakima or thule, I really want a cargo basket but that will have to wait.

But what about an izuzu rodeo rack? isn't it almost like the same rig? are the roof lines fairly similar? my roof is naked, no gutters, no tracks, no nothin except the hump in the middle.

it's gettin close to christmas tree huntin time and i wanna strap it to my pathfinder instead of the mini van which has a roof rack. it can be done right?

There is this thing they sell now that has numbers on it, they call it a "tape measure". It is really neat, if you extend it the length of your roof and read the number, then go to the junk yard and extend it beside a Rodeo rack and the number is the same then it might work :togo: .

ya i was just wondering how close they were to fit and if it were that easy or not to just throw one on.

i think izuzu made the rodeo from 91-96 then turned into the honda passport.

and the tape measure comment from greg, funny but not really. nice try tho ;)

When I bought the second Pathy, the PO threw in a (used) roof rack he never installed. It has Pathy cross pieces, but tracks from a Ford Aerostar, I believe he said. Claimed that the tracks were identical, or close enough that it didn't matter. I haven't had time to verify this. :shrug:

GG tape measure comment does have some value. Essentially, you can mount almost any roof rack you want. Just find one that looks likely/complete/good shape, then measure it against your pathy and you will know if you can make it work...

B

When I bought the second Pathy, the PO threw in a (used) roof rack he never installed. It has Pathy cross pieces, but tracks from a Ford Aerostar, I believe he said. Claimed that the tracks were identical, or close enough that it didn't matter. I haven't had time to verify this. :shrug:

GG tape measure comment does have some value. Essentially, you can mount almost any roof rack you want. Just find one that looks likely/complete/good shape, then measure it against your pathy and you will know if you can make it work...

B

probably from a mercury villager aka Nissan quest

Maybe he was mistaken, but I remember being suprised when he named an american car company; I'm pretty sure he said Ford. I questioned him and he said the same thing.

Just passing along what he said... :shrug:

Oh, wait. Ford/Mercury... Sorry, I almost missed that. Kinda distracted at work...

B

ya i've taken measurements of mine i just thought maybe somebody has done or heard of something like this. i went to a local wrecking yard that only dealt with american and i told the guy that i was looking for a roof rack with certain measurements. he asked what make and i told him it was a nissan but i wanted to look around to see if anything would fit, "he said you won't find anything here" and ended the conversation by answering the phone just as i was about to ask another question. jerk

i know i just need to get out there, just tryin to get a good idea of what to look for, thanks guys.

Just look forone you like, can always cut one down, I know someone who wanted a roofrack for his Festiva(yes a Festiva), obviously there isn't one from the factory so he cut down a rack from an old Caravan. Actually looks dam good for what it is. You have to improvise sometimes, get a little creative.

There is this thing they sell now that has numbers on it, they call it a "tape measure". It is really neat, if you extend it the length of your roof and read the number, then go to the junk yard and extend it beside a Rodeo rack and the number is the same then it might work :togo: .

GG is exactly right... that is the very same thing i did when I picked mine up. I measured what would fit on mine, then went around measuring everything I could find, that I liked, in the wrecking yard.

I walked out with an S10 Blazer rack, did it fit stock? Nope, not even close, but did it fit once I was done measuring and cutting? Sure did ;)

Look again, you do have rain gutters, but they're internal inside the door jams at the top. Yak racks (and I believe Thule too) use these bent clip deals to reach inside the doorjam and mount a rack. Just an FYI, you might check eBay for some used Yakima or Thule mounts (I believe Yakima calls them towers IIRC) for a cheap homemade hybrid job. Years ago I bought the "towers," clips, and crossbars for like $75 shipped. I swap back and forth seasonally between a homemake basket and Yakima ski racks I picked up cheap. Its a crapshoot, but if you line something up there's no drilling and you could take them off easily if needed.