Calmini installation?

silver97ex

Hey guys. I am about an hour away from ordering the Calmini 3" SL for my 95 Pathfinder. I searched and saw that there were a lot of mixed reviews. I like the idea of having a complete kit and getting everything from the same place in case of any problems. I also saw a lot of good things about RC upper control arms with JGC rear coils for a lot cheaper. I am new to the whole lifted truck thing (I come from a lowered turbo civic). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edited by silver97ex

I have the Calmini 3" kit, only thing i dont like is the Squeak... I would suggest if you go with Calmini, have the UCA drilled Tapped and add a grease zerk fitting... the RC UCA's come with the Zerk installed.

I too liked the fact it was a Kit... UCA's, T-bars are a little stiff, rear springs and drop down bracket.... I might go as far as to suggest using the original T-bars...

well i wouldnt time stamp when you are going to buy stuff 1st off...check and make sure you're getting what you want before you get it.

if you have the $ and can deal with the squeaky bushings (from what i've read on calmini) then go that route but if your on a budget tehn do the JGC and RC lift

you could always get the trailmaster lift...

I'm not trying to put a time on it but I finally got the money as soon as the check clears so....

I will check out the trailmaster kit also.

I don't think the squeak would kill me since there are already other squeaks throughout the 197,xxx mile chassis already :P

IIRC I read somewhere that calmin has started putting zerks on the UCA's because so many ppl had squeaky complaints.

x2 on the T-bars. Aftermaket t-bars have higer spring rates (calmin +20% & +30% on the other big brands) I'd keep the camini bars if your planning on a heavy winch bumper up front. then you can put them in to compensate for the extra weight.

The Calmini uca's won't squeak if you use a marine grease with lithium. My pathy came with the Camini uca's and the previous owner (Earth1) tried a few differant lubes and found it to work the best. I haven't heard a squeak since I have had it. You just have to grease them about every 6 months.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I have the kit and the plan is to install it tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone that has installed it has any pointers for me. Tricks to make it easier? Things to look out for?

TIA

• 3 weeks later...

Careful about raising front end too much; my install did same thing at first, when I tried to level it out ,the front axels were cranked too high . The CV angles were so acute that I started getting problems with them. I called Calmini and they said that a good rule of thumb is to have no more then 1" space between upper control arm and its' upper bump [stock] stop. Anymore then this and you risk damaging CV joints. Over time the lift has leveled out some, probably because the rear springs have compressed a little. Anyway, it's all good because when I load up the rear end with gear the extra weight levels it out just about perfectly. Good luck -glenn :itsallgood:

Careful about raising front end too much; my install did same thing at first, when I tried to level it out ,the front axels were cranked too high . The CV angles were so acute that I started getting problems with them. I called Calmini and they said that a good rule of thumb is to have no more then 1" space between upper control arm and its' upper bump [stock] stop. Anymore then this and you risk damaging CV joints. Over time the lift has leveled out some, probably because the rear springs have compressed a little. Anyway, it's all good because when I load up the rear end with gear the extra weight levels it out just about perfectly. Good luck -glenn :itsallgood:

that is my consideration now as i'm wonder if i should get the UCA from 4x4parts.com