High pitched sound/squeal at 20-25 MPH

Guest smad

Hello Everyone,

After a few weeks of searching, I just bought a 95 Pathfinder SE with approx 123,000 miles. There is this high pitched squeal that I can hear with the windows down when I am going around 20-25 MPH. It is not consistant at all, it randomly happens. At first I though it was a belt but wouldn't the sound be based on an RPM range then instead of a speed range? Any clue on what this can be? Could it be the auto hubs going bad? If so, how can I test the hubs?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks for your response. I had the brakes checked and they are good. Although my brakes do squeak, there is a seperate more of an almost belt squel type of sound...

Thanks 88pathoffroad. How can I test the hubs to see if that is what it is making the sound? Is there a way to test that the hubs are working correctly?

All the visible belts look ok. Although, I don't think that the timing belt has been changed (I am taking it in for that in a few days), could the sound be caused by the timing belt?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm planning on taking it on a long road trip soon and need to get it solid....

I've never heard of a timing belt causing noise since it is a toothed belt. Typically, you get squeal with a V-belt when it gets old and glazed (shiney). Cheap to throw on a new set of v-belts and rule that out.

I think I have had the same issue for a few months now, but the squeal is so transient that I have yet to try to fix it (my hunch is that it is the hubs: definitely not rmp or brake dependent). Lemme know when you isolate the trouble spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem. I came up with the wheel bearings as the source of the noise on my truck. It would come and go and it really got annoying to the point where I went and bought the wheel bearing locknut tool. It was the right front wheel bearing that wasnt torqued enough. I noticed that it would show up after I had hit a bump that would slightly elevate the front like cresting a small hill really quickly...

Wasn't there an issue with front hub internal seals squealing when they get dirty/old. I recall reading it somewhere. Can someone add a bit more light on this as I can't locate relevant info??

Could be the answer if not brakes or bearings.

Good Luck

Buzz :beer: