Dirt Bikes

unccpathfinder

Alright so I've never really had the chance to ride a dirt bike or motorcycle..well my neighbor had his son and daughters bikes at the house tonight and i was just looking it over seeing how they were built and work and they convinced me that I wouldnt kill myself so i gotta brief orientation on everything (it was a honda 80) and then away I went down the road getting the feel for it...

Feel for it I got...the 1st time I hit 2nd gear I stood her up on 1 wheel and I gotta tell you I'm glad I have good reactions and common sense b/c road rash in shorts and a t-shirt would have sucked (yes i was wearing a full face helmet)

So I got the clutch and shifting down and his daughter (11 or 12) took me out in the desert and showed me some decent trails with small jumps and what not...she's damn hell on wheels...I must say that I'm as quick on a bike as a truck in getting a restart after stalling (had some misshifts and bogged it down and wasnt quick enough to keep her from going)

my only other scare was on some loose ass sand trying to catch up to her in 5th gear and the ass got shaky so out of reaction I gassed her up and she straightened out and all was good and by the end of our ride I had a great feel for the bike and had my shifts down

It was a blast even though I was too big for the bike (my fat ass made her squat pretty good)

If i'm going to stick around the desert a while longer I'm thinking about getting one now that I got the exposure and had a hell of a good time.

My only thing is if I move to anywhere else in the US I'm not sure if theres a lot of places to ride and I'm curious if I should possibly get a 4 wheeler (quad for the left coasters)...I know if I move to texas or anywhere in the southeast I'm going to want a 4wheeler to do some hunting with as well as some trail riding. If I do get one it will more than likely be used. I plan to go to the local dealer and figure out what size I would need and what it would cost me and all that jazz for the bike and all the safety accessories b/c I know i'll eat it at least a couple times

Any suggestions? brands? 2 stroke vs 4 stroke? bike or quad? new vs used? etc and so on?

Personally, I grew up on dirt bikes. With a little skill, nothing beats 2 wheels for both speed and accessability off road. PERIOD

I don't have one now, but that's mainly because there is no where local to ride. I've owned/ridden everything from a Suzuki RM80 to a Honda XR650L. Damn, I miss it!!

I recommend a 4 stroke if you are not racing. They are damn near as fast (different type of riding) but far more reliable and user friendly. I don't know your height/weight and I will assume you have some/will gain skill. You can't go wrong with a Honda XR400. There are many new 4 strokes that perform better, but for a bullet proof bike, they are time tested. While the machine counts, the rider is just as important.

Bang for buck, cheap parts/upgrades this is what I recommend. Perhaps thats why I am looking for one with an enduro kit... ;)

An XR200 would get you by for a while just as well while you settle in. I'm talking used bikes BTW. Your first bike should always be used, just trust me.

Quad's are fun but they are in 2 categories for me. Screaming sand machines and 4x4 hunter/rancher. Personally, I haven't wanted either...

B

B is right. Get a 4-stroke. 2-strokes are easier to rebuild but if you do alot of riding every year plan on rebuilding it once a year or two if your gentle on it. I grew up riding dirt bikes too and let me tell you once you get the bug it is impossible to grow out of! Another reason to get a 4 stroke is that with emmisions getting more and more strict in certain states some county's are actually banning the use of 2 stroke dirt bikes. I believe California is one of the first to try and enact these laws.

Another big difference between 2 and 4 stroke is low end power. If you plan on doing trail riding with some steep hills and what not 2 strokes require a different riding style of pretty much balls to the wall WOT in certain situations. They lose power fast on hills if you dont stay on it. Unless you get a big arse 2 stroke which IMHO is dangerous. 4-Stroke on the other hand has more of a low range power so you can just keep steady in 1-2nd gear and creep up those steep hills.

I currenlty have a Honda XL250R. She is an old 89 but I love it cause I ride in the rocky mountains and have laid if over quite a few times and dont worry about it. For the terrain we ride my 4-stroke is perfect for me as I can just cruise up steep hills. I ride with a few guys with 2 strokes and they do well seeing how fast each other can get up the hill but believe me things can get squirly and dangerous real fast. Besides the guys I have been riding with are pretty much professionals and race at the local track every year so they leave me behind alot but I dont mind I have another buddy that rides a classic 1972 Yamaha 250. We just cruise up hills then open them up in fields and what not.

I again agree with B. Buy a used bike until you are real comfortable riding then you can move up. As far as Quads go they are a blast also. But a totally different animal. I am debating on selling my bike for a quad simply because now that I have a family I do not jump the jumps like I once did when I was younger. My wife also kinda wants me to either trade the bike in on either a quad or a dedicated trail rig. She has told me that if I get a quad that she wants one too. So the idea of buying a dedicated trail rig that the family and I can all ride is is sounding pretty good but there is nothing like hitting the trail on your bike with some buddies for the day.

Another aspect to think about is ofcourse safety. Make sure you get a good helmet, chest protector, boots, gloves and shin guards. I've wrecked enough times to tell you that it hurts if your not properly prepared.

Darn now you have me wanting to get out and ride. Unfortunatley my bike is sitting in storage and I have not ridden her for like 7 months or so. Too bad you dont live closer or I might consider selling you my bike for a good deal. Hope this helps and let us know what you decide to do or get!!

Edited by zonianbrat

I don't know your height/weight

6' 225lbs right now (i gotta get back down to at least 200. I was doing good and was down to 210 and I stopped working out again and jumped right back up

our first bike should always be used

Yea I figured that should be the case since the chance of a whoops happening is pretty good and it would suck to bash up a new bike.

Another aspect to think about is ofcourse safety. Make sure you get a good helmet, chest protector, boots, gloves and shin guards. I've wrecked enough times to tell you that it hurts if your not properly prepared.

Hell to the yea thats the most important part...the whole time I was giving her a spin I was thinking "you cannot lay this thing down" b/c the road/desert rash would have been crazy bad

I'll probably price everything as far as gear goes over the next couple of weeks and if I head to town go check out some of the bike shops and start looking for bikes. Just looking on ebay last night though it looks like a bunch of used bikes are just as expensive as new ones but i'm sure I can find a pretty good deal here locally

Hopefully I get 2 weeks @ christmas so I can go back east and bring the 95 out, part it out and make the 87 road worthy finally and if I make enough $ off of that get a bike and a welder and weld me up a small trailer or receiver carrier and I could go check out some of the trails and what not out here once it warms back up after winter

Personally, I grew up on dirt bikes. With a little skill, nothing beats 2 wheels for both speed and accessability off road. PERIOD

Yes indeed.

If you want an all around decent beginner bike I'd say get a honda xr250. Not in production anymore, but is considered by some to be one of the best trail bikes ever. If you want speed and big air, go with a 2stroker... Maybe say an '97 rm 250, I'm may be little biased though.

If you can find a Honda XL250R I'd also consider that. It's pretty much the 250R but it is an Enduro so if you get your license you can put around town too. I like that if I just need to go to the store for a gallon of milk or something I just put on my backpack and zip on down on my bike.

Honda ftw... I happened to come into a CR80 with all racing designed parts, and I will tell you I could get some serious speed on a bike with such a small motor...the first time my dad rode it he was cruising in second gear through my yard and floored it (he didnt realize he was right in the bottom end of the powerband) and flipped it right up onto its rear fender...and he rode bikes all the way up until he had me and my sister...

If I can get a dirtbike at some point it would have to be a Honda 250 four stroke, either XR250 or the CR250F...

I'll probably price everything as far as gear goes over the next couple of weeks and if I head to town go check out some of the bike shops and start looking for bikes. Just looking on ebay last night though it looks like a bunch of used bikes are just as expensive as new ones but i'm sure I can find a pretty good deal here locally

Don't forget Craigslist...

As for gear, check out this site.

newenough.com

I have bought all my gear from them in the last 5 years. Great people/quality and if you shop from the sale/close out section, you can get some outrageously good deals!! :beer:

B

I found these 2 that are in my price range...I'm not sure what the difference is in the CR's and CRF's and any other prefixes

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/19...-CR250-89616580

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/19...A-250R-94100010

I've got right about $1500 to put towards the bike (then I'd just have to let her rest for a few weeks to get gear...I'm going to try to get some pictures from the 1st link just to get a peak at it.

If you can find a Honda XL250R I'd also consider that. It's pretty much the 250R but it is an Enduro so if you get your license you can put around town too. I like that if I just need to go to the store for a gallon of milk or something I just put on my backpack and zip on down on my bike.

+1 on the duel purpose.

I owned an '83 XL250R & a '91 XR250L.

Took my endorsement on the '83.

They're bulletproof & get great gas mileage.

Plus it's really fun being able to explore new single path trails you find on your morning commute.

Ride in the woods? get a 250/400.

Desert? get at least a 400/650.

Once hooked, you're hooked for life. Accept it.

Including close friends and my nephew's clan and I've ridden/repaired/rebuilt:

Honda: XR80, XR100, XR200, XR350, CRF150,CRF250F,CRF450, multiple XR400's, CR500, XR600

Kawi: KDX-200

KTM: 450EXC, 525 SX, 525MXC

Suzook: DR350

Of those I strongly suggest staying away from the Honda CRF's and any 2 stroke (CR, KX, RM, YZ). They rip and are great for experienced riders and racers, but they are high strung and have proven to be very maintenance intensive and relatively fragile. The boys loved them, but my god we spent a lot of time wrenching on them.... They are now on KTM's and have NO desire to go back.

For your size and desire to ride in the desert, the two bikes I HIGHLY recommend are the KTM 450/525 and the Honda XR400.

But the KTM's are in such high demand the prices remain pretty high for good ones.

So dollar for dollar, its XR4 all the way! They are battle axes. Change the oil every few rides and go. Just go. And go. Need about 1/10 the maintenance of the others while still providing decent power. They used to be more expensive, but now that KTM is starting to be able to fill the market with enough bikes, the demand is dropping making them a heck of a bargain.

Not light, and don't have the "magic button" (electric start), but I dare you to find some one who didn't love theirs! Check them out thoroughly before buying anything else.

As fate would have it, I am going to Oregon to buy mine back again next week... I loan it/sell it to lots of friends that want to get into the sport. If you can't find one locally, I would be willing to make you a rippin' deal (since you're a long term good NPORA guy) - IF and ONLY IF you promise to take care of her and give me first dibs if and when you are ready to sell her.

I could set you up with some "starter" gear as well. Size 11 boots, size large helmet, pants, gloves.

You can't go wrong with a Honda XR400. There are many new 4 strokes that perform better, but for a bullet proof bike, they are time tested.

I was waiting for mws to chime in, and I wasn't disappointed.

For your size and desire to ride in the desert, the two bikes I HIGHLY recommend are the KTM 450/525 and the Honda XR400.

But the KTM's are in such high demand the prices remain pretty high for good ones.

So dollar for dollar, its XR4 all the way!

LOL, thats what I said!!

XR400 for sale, huh? Green stickered, not with a Cali plate? I'm holding off for an enduro...

B

Once hooked, you're hooked for life. Accept it.

Yea I can see that...I want a bike right now but I'm just waiting until the right opportunity/bike comes forward and I've still got a good bit of researching to complete and go and look, touch, and maybe ride (nervous about doing that on someone's bike)

As fate would have it, I am going to Oregon to buy mine back again next week... I loan it/sell it to lots of friends that want to get into the sport. If you can't find one locally, I would be willing to make you a rippin' deal (since you're a long term good NPORA guy) - IF and ONLY IF you promise to take care of her and give me first dibs if and when you are ready to sell her.

That may be an option. I will probably be waiting until after the 1st of the year now...I have a couple prospective job opportunities from TX to SC/NC so I would hate to get a bike that I could ride every weekend here but wouldn't be able to there.

I was waiting for mws to chime in, and I wasn't disappointed.

LOL, thats what I said!!

XR400 for sale, huh? Green stickered, not with a Cali plate? I'm holding off for an enduro...

B

Correct, green sticker, no plate. I was trying to get my buddy in Oregon to get it plated, but it was more effort than he wanted to invest.

Getting it plated in CA is quite difficult (unless you have an in at the DMV), but if you can get it plated in another state you can bring it in and get a CA plate with minimal effort.

if you can get it plated in another state you can bring it in and get a CA plate with minimal effort.

I didn't know that!! I'll have to look into that. Perhaps I can work that angle... :D

You guys need to stop talking about dirt bikes, it keeps on bringing up my desire to get one!

Tough. Either stop reading or start buying!! :D

Seriously though, dirt bikes are the only way to fly...

B

+1 on the XR400. I've had my 99 XR400 for almost 7 years now and still don't want any other bike for the trail riding that I do. As others have already said, its a bulletproof bike that just keeps going. I've beat mine up pretty good with lots of run-ins with trees, rocks, gravity, whatever and it always starts right back up and keeps me on the trail. The only things you really need to add to them are some good bark-busters to keep your fingers firmly attached to your hands in the event of a tree or two jumping in front of you. Before the XR I had a 300EX ATV that I was never too comfortable on. Possibly because I grew up on dirtbikes, or because I'm 6'3 and 200 pounds. The bike just fits better.

Sounds like MWS has a great deal for you, I'd definitely try to do that. Good luck.

I ride a Honda CRF150F, they're such fun bikes! You'd probably want something bigger though, a 250 or 450 probably. (I only do motocross stuff though, not a lot of trail riding).

And then once you've gotten hooked on the dirt riding, you can move on to Supermoto and REALLY get hooked.

:D

Have fun!!!!

Edited by Mizcoop

well day 2 of riding...fun...broke in the side ass and the front beer gut...it was funny jy buddies son was riding his daughters 50 which he was way too big for...the 1st wipe out came with some thick ass mud and the 2nd came from well me rebounding from a jump and accidentally turned bakc on the throttle and well kept the rear tire from the face and the chin off the ground but gut busted...he was scared but i hopped up and let'em know nothing was wrong...but definately understand the need for the proper gear... going to helicoil his stripped exhaust bolts tomorrow for another ride :fish: