Engine Finished!

beastpath

Hey all! Its been a while since I've been on here, but just wanted to let everyone know I got my engine finished!

Took a while for all the parts to get to me and then even longer as I had to send some back for replacements but finally got everything done.

Now I have a remanufactured 3.0L with Thorley Headers, locking header bolts, relocated oil filter, MSD offroad ignition, 8mm spiro pro wires, NGK plugs & oxy filter, and custom valve cover paint job.

Started up straight off the bat, but there is a loud ticking noise which comes from the passenger side valves(maybe). Im thinking its a sticky lifter as I'm pretty certain I did the timing etc just fine and it goes away after a min or so of warming up. Only other problem I have is oil leaking from the rear of the valve cover onto the header!!!! Again on the passenger side. Have to make sure the torque specs are ok again, and just torque it down if not. Otherwise have to replace the seal :thumbsdown:

Runs just fine tho.

Now I have to adjust the torsion bars to make sure I'm even, replace all the rubber bushings at the front, and get new tires. Also a good car wash seems to be in order. :sly:

It might just be ticking from sitting for so long, give it a good driving to let things soak up a bit and see if it resolves.

I don't know much about these engines, but if they are hydraulic lifters, they should just take a while to break back in...especially if it has been sitting for awhile.

Did you rebuilt the head at all? If not, did you remove the lifters? Assuming they are hydraulic you may have had to soak them...

then again judging by all the work you just did on the whip, I am going to assume you know a thing or two and have covered these bases :).

I am a newb to the forum, so give me a break :D

Edit: Grats by the way :) -- Just finished rebuilding my Vr6 Jetta so I've been pretty happy as well :P

Edited by dreamgt

Started up straight off the bat, but there is a loud ticking noise which comes from the passenger side valves(maybe). Im thinking its a sticky lifter as I'm pretty certain I did the timing etc just fine and it goes away after a min or so of warming up.

Could you have a slight exhaust leak from the headers on that side?

Congrats on all the work!! Sounds like you'll have a ultra-reliable Pathy in no time now!! :clap:

B

Ok, gonna post some pictures. But first...

Any comments and suggestions are more than welcome, I in no way claim to be an expert, in fact this was my first time doing anything major to my truck.

I didn't rebuild the engine myself, bought a refurbed one then put it in etc. The heads and everything were put on there by them, but I did check the timing, and piston movement before I installed the engine.

Hmm. How long is a while for breaking in Hydraulic lifters? Have been driving it for a few months now.

And I hope I don't have a header leak, those locking bolts were a PITA to install.

Ok fun part.......pictures

DSC00895.jpg

Engine bay overall view

DSC00893.jpg

MSD location

DSC00892.jpg

Header and Paintjob

DSC00891.jpg

Relocation kit

DSC00890.jpg

Just another angle of the bay

What are peoples thoughts?

well thats a location I have not seen or thought of for the oil filter... maybe rotate it so that it wont drip as much(on your headders and newly painted valve covers) when you change the filter.

initial thought was it woudl drip on the engine but you can just put an oil pan up there and catch everything...I would watch those hoses as you drive they will vibrate and chafe (i'm thinking the PS reservoir) and eventually cut through the hoses and leave you with an oily mess.

I would try to wrap them and make sure you have good clearance on the headers as mentioned.

Other than that I think it looks good.

yeah, when I do oil changes I just put a pan underneath so it catches anything.

Cant see from the picture very well but there is like 3-4" between the headers and the oil lines. When I get around to it im gonna get some heat covers for the lines just to be sure.

The lines actually fit really well between the PS res and the battery, I only have to be careful shutting the hood as they don't always coil into just the position I need, lol.

Shall see how it goes and make adjustments as needed.

Thanks everyone