LOKKA Front Locker

PDCCD

So a week ago or so, i emailed Lokka looking for a quote for the locker and shipping. I got an email this morning from Tom Hewitson of 4WD systems, the manufacturer. Price was $499 plus $20 to ship. But i'm not sure he understood my location was in the states :shrug:. Also not sure if those are Australian dollars or US. Now if it's in AUD, it'll be roughly $310. Pretty good. If it's US dollars, well, for $2-300 more i could have the ARB locker, which i would probably do. I've got to research the pro's and cons of both.

I just thought i'd post up what little info i've gotten so far.

Pete

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete Generally I think the only negative comments you will find about a Lokka are from people who dont have one. The feedback posts I have read from Lokka owners, including myself all seem to indicate they are more than happy with their purchase.

Tom has told a few people that you dont need FWHs which is true but they eliminate the small amount of steering self centering generated particularly when on the black top. The guys here in Oz are importing Warn and AVM hubs from the US for around $180 Au.

So I would imaging they are around $130 to $150 over there.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff57

Pete Generally I think the only negative comments you will find about a Lokka are from people who dont have one. The feedback posts I have read from Lokka owners, including myself all seem to indicate they are more than happy with their purchase.

Tom has told a few people that you dont need FWHs which is true but they eliminate the small amount of torque steer generated particually when on the black top. The guys here in Oz are importing Warn and AVM hubs from the US for around $180 Au.

So I would imaging they are around $130 to $150 over there.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I can understand how well they would work, especially with the added hubs, but there's nothing at all available for our rears from them or anyone else, except ARB. So unless they really are very well priced (like the $310 US), i would have to install an ARB in the rear as well as OBA, so i might as well install the ARB in the front as well. Does that make sense? As i read it, it sounds confusing LOL. Could you direct me to any links with others who've reviewed them as well. I'm cautious to believe anything is a perfect solution, especially for such a reasonable price. It must have some draw back, no?

Pete just google Lokka there are quite a few threads from various 4WD sites in here in Oz that go back a few years.

There are some negative comments made, attributed to sales staff trying to promote their competing product or die hard air locker fans

The only draw back is the increased steering self centering when the FWH hubs are engaged but this only really noticiable on the bitumen. On dirt you soon adjust to it and forget about it. With the FWH hubs unlocked there is no effect on the steering what so ever.

The big advantages of the Lokka is that it is engaged all the time and you dont have to think about it. You also still get diff action happening when you need to turn.

As far as durability goes if you try hard enough anything can be busted. I know of a few occasions where the axles/ cvs have broken before the Lokka.

I have heard of one guy braking a Lokka but the same guy also damaged the air locker he installed to replace it.

Happy researching

Geoff

Edited by Geoff57

• 3 months later...

not to bump an old thread, but one of the Aussies over on PCoA has just done a write-up with pics, on his front Lokka installation. i'm awaiting correspondence with 4WD Systems for pricing and shipping to us Americans. we never get any good stuff... :D

http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1...ka+front#p31533

once i get my lift installed, i'm repacking the rear LSD with more clutch discs and installing a front Lokka. :):aok:

Edited by alexrex20

not to bump an old thread, but one of the Aussies over on PCoA has just done a write-up with pics, on his front Lokka installation. i'm awaiting correspondence with 4WD Systems for pricing and shipping to us Americans. we never get any good stuff... :D

http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1...ka+front#p31533

once i get my lift installed, i'm repacking the rear LSD with more clutch discs and installing a front Lokka. :):aok:

sweet. keep us posted about what you hear from them. i'd rather have this then a rear lock, any day. :)

Yeah, i re-emailed them for verification on that price, but never heard back from them after that, and i've had some stuff come up that's kept me from the project, sorry.

Pete

they still haven't replied. :(

anyway, what about welding up the front diff? i don't see the problem as long as you have manual hubs. keeping them locked on the trails is no different than a Lokka, which stays engaged any time you're giving it gas. as long as you stay unlocked on the street, it shouldn't make a difference...

so theoretically, i can just about have a rear locker (repacked LSD) for $20 and a front locker for free. $20 + a weekend's work ain't so bad.

What do you weld when you weld the front (or any) differential? And if you do the rear with the extra plates... do a "bolt by bolt" instruction on that bad boy :-) I will give you all the beer in the world if you do. I looked at the other "how to" page, and couldn't figure out what the hell the guy was doing at all

^^^ look at the welded diff (pirate 4x4) thread.

DaveOZ, definitely and while you're talking to them, find out if they still make them for the wd21. oh, and i really would like to have one in the front diff and not so much one in the rear. thanks

as to welding.. that's not even close to being the same as an auto locker.. what are you on alexrex?

as to welding.. that's not even close to being the same as an auto locker.. what are you on alexrex?

i never said it was an auto locker. it is though, for all intents and purposes, a selectable locker. the only difference is that instead of flipping a switch in the cabin, you have to get out and twist the dials on your hubs. it should put no more wear/tear on your driveline than a Lokka, Detroit, ARB, etc.

if its still a daily driver I would not do more than 1 disc on each side.

I think sandbag on N4W has been going thru tires quickly w/ even that much. I think he used the medium size disc.