auto TRANSMISSION Q's

iLLlegal

Hey evvry body! been awhile but now I need help again haha.

anyway since I got my 92 pathfinder its been a huge pain in the a$$ too get her into Reverse. I have been told that this is first signs of tranny destruction.

so now its getting worse I find. I gotta do the D to R to D to R to get her to "click" into R. now I am having issues were ill give it gas and it feels like

the transmission is slipping. as well its doing some weird stuff at stop lights... like reving higher and then going down then trying to lurch my path forward!

thats pretty much the just of what is wrong with it. so my question is would a transmission flush help these problems?! like were they circulate trans fluid through it?

or is there no hope left in this baby and i need to replace it?

IF i have to replace it I found a parts car at pick ur part from a 1995 pathfinder (which should still work right? as long as its 4x4) and the pathfinder only has 200,000KM on it.

I know I would be taking a chance on the reliability but it would only cost me 100$ to buy it.

Also if anyone can point me to a write up or anything on how to remove the transmission that would be great!

TY in advance

Yes, it sounds like your tranny is toast. Does it do that all the time or only when warmed up?

Do you have an external cooler? If not, DON'T DRIVE IT!!! The #1 killer of these auto trannys is that the stock radiator/tranny cooler gets blocked, starves the tranny of flow and lets it get hot (hot=bad). The other thing is to turn off the overdrive when climbing long/frequent grades.

That said, IF you don't drive it until you mount an external tranny cooler and bypass the radiator unit, have it flushed (or replace the fluid) and maybe add some tranny saver, it MAY

be drivable for an unknown length of time. This would at least allow you to choose the time when to park the truck and swap trannys.

If the $100 tranny is in good shape, that is a very good deal. The problem is all the work and time required to replace the tranny only to find out it has problems also would suck. Even with a 'new' tranny, you should follow the steps listed above.

The tranny removal is pretty straight forward and listed in your manual. If you don't have a manual :rolleyes: follow the link at the top of the General Forum for the FSM, it will be the same. It goes like this: Jack the truck up and disassemble 1/2 of it... :D

B