What is your prefered motor oil?

silverlion

Actually cost per year is least for amsoil than any other oil since it's life span is so long. You will go through 2 oil filters before you have to change the oil. I was surprised by this but the third party tests state 11300 miles of extreme use between oil changes and it doesnt lose wear protection until 25000 miles. Costs 50$ per 11300 miles which is damn reasonable if u ask me. Pretty impressive

What I don't see addressed in any of this, and what I know the oil filter doesn't take care of is all the blow-by contaminants; the micro particulate and the acidic nature of used motor oil, especially in an older motor. Wear protection doesn't matter if the oil is etching everything when it sits. :shrug:

B

What I don't see addressed in any of this, and what I know the oil filter doesn't take care of is all the blow-by contaminants; the micro particulate and the acidic nature of used motor oil, especially in an older motor. Wear protection doesn't matter if the oil is etching everything when it sits. :shrug:

B

you are correct on that one B. I don't see anything of that nature either. I'll look into it just out of my own curiosity. I would imagine if you have weak piston ring (s) and do not have perfect compression than blow by is something that must be taken more into account on an aging motor.

Personally, both kat and I pathfinders have been vg33e swapped with perfect compression vg33e that are literally like new (actually a little better at 180 psi exactly across all 6 cylinders) and we are also running catch cans to avoid Pcv recirculation of oil so I don't think this would be much of an issue for us BUT the acidity is something unavoidable. I think I may contact the company and see what their answer is for that one. Thanks for bringing that up and I'll update here if I find anything. I'm curious more than anything!

• 2 weeks later...

What grade were you running previously?

As for me, I use penrite 20w50 mineral for my z24. When new motor goes in she will be run on hpr5.

• Like 1

It was using the same grade 10w30 but it wasn't synthetic. I've never seen a motor do that when switching to Royal Purple though... motor has 162K miles on it. Might be time for a rebuild anyways.

• 4 months later...

Me too, Mobil 1 (5/30) in both the Pathfinders. Since I've been buying by the gallon for oil changes I use it in the lawn tractor and ATV as well.

I tend to float between Mobile 1 10w30 Synth and Castrol synth. But always go with the mobile 1 synthetic oil FILTER. A good filter is just as important as the oil. On occasion I've just changed the filter halfway through an oil cycle just to freshen it up.

I used to think Royal Purple was the answer and God's gift to engines, until I blew an engine while running it. However, in retrospect that engine blew after I had been making multiple consistent 120 mph runs in my Honda Prelude and I'm guessing I'd been burning oil the whole time and didn't know it...finally it just went. I haven't gone back and tried it again since then.

Edited by gv280z

• 3 weeks later...

Personaly I've found oil doesn't matter much because no matter what I do the motors, they are still running strong long after the truck (I'm on the 3rd) has rusted beyond driving. My Hardbody (farm truck) snapped in two last year and if I don't get the rear frame rails replaced this year, the front half(cab and motor) are going to be the generator for the cabin next winter. The three together are getting close to 1,000.000KMS.

I put the cheap sh!t in. Mine leaks enough that I need quantity rather than quality. On a positive note, it's never in there long enough to breakdown so the longevity of the oil is not an issue.