Max tire size VS Lift Kit Used VS Custom or OE Wheels

fleurys

Does anyone think it would be possible to fit 265x75x16 on 16x8 Ultra Rims on an 01 LE w/ no lift?

Would 275/70/16 fit?

Or would it be best to just stick to the 265/70/16's?

I would say not possible but from what alexrex posted about his set-up it's definitely possible. :scratchhead:

I'm rolling on 32x10.5 (265/75R16) tires but I've got the AC lift coils.

Check with Alex just to be sure but I bet it's possible. :aok:

Year: '02 LE 4wd

lift : OME HD coils x4, KYB GR-2 struts and shocks

Wheels : 17" stock

Tires : 245/70/17 (30.5") Firestone Destination AT

Notes: No problems with alignment, no camber bolts needed, no rubbing, no "topping out" of the struts. 100% improvement in handling on/offroad over 95k mile old stock suspension.

Photo:post-10216-1236650311_thumb.jpg

Edited by larryt

Winter Config: (Stock Rims)

Year: 2002 Chilkoot Edition

Lift: ~2" OME Lift, HD springs and 1" front aluminum spacers.

Tires: 245/75R16 Firestone Winterforce UV

Wheels: Factory 16" Nissan Alloys

Notes: Absolute max tire size without going to a 4" BS rim. ~1/8" clearance between top of inside of tire and strut spring seat.

Summer Config:

Year: 2002 Chilkoot Edition

Lift: ~2" OME Lift, HD springs and 1" front aluminum spacers.

Tires: 265/75R16 Hercules Trail Digger MT

Wheels: Pro Comp 16x8 4"BS Alloy

Notes: Needed to remove front mud flaps because of rubbing. Largest tire possible without fender trimming.

• 3 weeks later...
Year: 1996 Pathfinder SE

lift : Stock/ no lift

Wheels : Stock/ 15x8

Tires : BFG A/T 31x10.5

Notes: doesn't rub or anything.

Update: just swapped my BFG for Goodyear AT/S tires. Same size: 31x10.50-15.

Tires are not new, but I got all 4 for $120. I'd say they got a year left on them. I noticed that these, even though they are worn pretty good, have about 1/4" less clearance then my BFG's did. They still don't rub, so far, but it's something to note on, I guess.

Also, when I measured my friends tires, they were all different. these are all new.

He had a 33" that measured 31.5"

some 35" that measured 34" and 33.5"

a 38" that measured 36"

and a 44" that measured 42"

These are all different brands, by the way. When I talked to some tire shop guys, they all said that no tire comes the same size from different manufacturers. Weird...

well, considering stock is 235/75-R15 I would say stay around that size. I don't know the BS of that rim, or how wide it is (I assume 15x6) so I would say get a 245/75-R15.

• 2 weeks later...

Year: 2001
Lift: AC Coils , GR2 Struts, Rancho 9000xl shocks
Wheels: stock 16" OEM SE Offset +20
Tires: Firestone Destination MT 265/75R16
Notes: Eventhough the Tire WAS fitting under the strut, there was about 1/16th" of space. fearing that the tire was going to eventually hit the strut at highway speed (expansion), I decided to fit Wheels Spacers 1.25". Had to trim part of the lower front bumper and to recess part of the plastic inner fender. Total about an inch of trimming.

dcp_1655-L.jpg

Edited by fleurys
  • Like 1

Year: 2001

Lift: AC Coils , GR2 Struts, Rancho 9000xl shocks

Wheels: stock 16" OEM SE Offset +20

Tires: Firestone Destination MT 265/75R16

Notes: Eventhough the Tire WAS fitting under the strut, there was about 1/16th" of space. fearing that the tire was going to eventually hit the strut at highway speed (expansion), I decided to fit Wheels Spacers 1.25". Had to trim part of the lower front bumper and to recess part of the plastic inner fender. Total about an inch of trimming.

dcp_1655.jpg

...All cleeeeeeeeeeeaaaan and shiny... lots of mud waiting for you now... are you sure you want to get it scratched, mucky and banged all over ? ...so nice i'd drive to the Ritz Carlton with it...

...mine looks like it's been to Iraq or Afghanistan compare to yours... although i am not ashame of it...

Edited by Pinip

Year: 2003 Chilkoot edition

Lift: none

Wheels: Stock 16x7 and 16x8 Dick cepek dc-1, 4"BS and -12mm offset

Tires: 265/70/r16 Bridestone Dueler revo

Notes: No rubbing when the duelers were on the stock wheels. When duelers were on dc-1s, more clearence in strut, had to trim front fascia and melt plastic

with heat gun to stop rubbing

pic1

Would this same combination, 16x8 wheel with 4" BS and -12mm and 265/70/r16's work on a 1999.5 XE 4x4?

edit- Actually the wheels I'm looking at are -11mm offset.. would the 1mm make that much of a difference?

Edited by ben0326

• 3 weeks later...

does anybody think 15x10 wheels with 3" BS would work? Or would that just be way too wide? I havne't seen anyone with wider than 8" wheels, so yea...

• 2 weeks later...

hey, i have a 2002 pathy se 4x4. pretty much stock. iv started to do some off roading with a couple of friends who have jeeps. they give me @!*% about driving a pathy, but i still hang with em. i don't have the funds for a lift or anything, but i want some new rubber so i can smoke em. iv been doing my reasurch, and it looks like the BFG A/T tires look perfect for me. but, will they fit on my stock rims? i have the 16 inch 6 spoke

and what size should i look for that will fit my truck. i still want to drive highway and around town/parking lots with it so i wanna make sure it fits.

im not quite sure how to post photos on NPORA yet, but i have a pic here.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2212835/

please let me know, all help is appreciated.

ya, i went on to tire rack.com, and i entered my car type, and they didnt come up. some other A/T tires did, but iv heared great things about the BFG

I'm surprised BFG doesn't have anything. If you're willing to check out other brands, Toyo's worth a look for sure. I've got the Open Country A/Ts on my '98 and they are absolutely wonderful. :aok:

ya, i went on to tire rack.com, and i entered my car type, and they didnt come up. some other A/T tires did, but iv heared great things about the BFG

Tirerack.com is kinda weird with trucks. For some reason, it basically only really shows stock sizes or factory option sizes. For cars, they'll show you more options. I don't know the measurements of your wheel, but I'm sure non-stock tire sizes will fit. So, for example, if yours came with 255/65/16, 245/70/16 will fit. I made those numbers up, but you get the idea. So long as you stay approximately within the overall diameter of your stock tire + wheel and don't get something much wider than the factory tires, you should be fine.

You can calculate overall diameter in inches, you can use the following formula:

((Tire width/25.4)*(Aspect ratio aka the 2nd number on your tire in the 255/65/16 formula/100))/2

+

Rim diameter.

I would bet something BFG/Goodyear would fit your stock wheels.

Next time your Jeep friends laugh, congratulate them on their brilliant foresight. Having 2 Jeeps means they can use one for spare parts when stuff begins falling off the other "car". B) They can also get bulk discounts when parts begin falling off both "cars". I hear Staples gives 10% off cartons of paper clips and glue... B)

Hey guys, even though I know everyone is helping...Let's try to keep this thread for the intended purpose. Which is to have pictures and details of the setup members have done with their suspension/tires combo....

If not , well, this thread will become like the others....a bit of info and a lot of chit chat...

Hope you're not taking this the wrong way...

S.

Hey guys, even though I know everyone is helping...Let's try to keep this thread for the intended purpose. Which is to have pictures and details of the setup members have done with their suspension/tires combo....

If not , well, this thread will become like the others....a bit of info and a lot of chit chat...

Hope you're not taking this the wrong way...

S.

I wouldn't call Tyler and my reply "chitchat". He's just a new guy asking a simple, quick question because he may not know the thread structure (though I agree it's kinda weird since it says he's been a member since July but has only 2 posts) and we're throwing suggestions out there. I'd rather give a suggestion and THEN point him to the right thread than say,"Hey schmuck, you're in the wrong section."

Dunno about all the light zip tie stuff.

That said, I now have KYB front struts, which actually aligned easier than the Ranchos. Weird... Ride is better too. So, now I'm at

Year: 2003 LE

Springs: AC 2"

Front: KYB GR-2

Rear: Bilsteins

Tires: 235/85-16 Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar, which have ridiculously aggressive treads. Not swampers but much higher and knobbier than the BFG A/Ts I had.

1 camber bolt each side. Used to rub till I trimmed bumper about 1/4" and cut front fenders in half. No rubbing now. B)

Edited by GoPathyGo

yup, sorry i got it off track. and ya, lol i made a membership when i first got my pathfinder, but i have had zero money after buying a car and a downhill mtb. but now i have some income flowing, and wanna make the pathy a little better. the nissan runs like a champ. i love it.

thanks for your help.

does anybody think 15x10 wheels with 3" BS would work? Or would that just be way too wide? I havne't seen anyone with wider than 8" wheels, so yea...

Yeah you can do that but you will have to do some trimming of the fender & part of the front bumper (especially at stock height) but unless you have like a 12.50 wide tires then you wouldn't want to go with that wide of a rim. I've seen a 32x11.50 tire on a 15x10 rim but I wouldn't recommend it (just because the tire shop says it can be done doesn't mean that it should be done).