Max tire size VS Lift Kit Used VS Custom or OE Wheels

fleurys

Have read a few questions about tire size with lift. Seems that if you are talking about a coil lift only then tire size is the same with or without the lift. If the suspension components are the same then all you're doing is moving the truck up in its travel. The suspension will bottom out in the same spot so tire clearance shouldn't change. If the tire fits on stock wheels with a coil lift then it should fit just the same with stock coils.

Wheel change would change the position of the tire and could help fit bigger tires. I guess that is why some manufacturers say you need a wheel with a certain backspacing to run 31s.

Edited by sthrnfat

Just doesn't seem like a coil lift will make a difference in tire clearance. You are just pushing the truck up on the same suspension angles if you aren't changing any other suspension components. The top out and bottom out points are the same. Truck should still bottom out at the same point if all that has changed is the coil springs.

Had a lifted Trooper a while back with similar lift options available for them. You could get rear coils to push the truck up in its travel (plus a crank of the torsion bar), but tire clearance didn't change with the coils. The truck still bottomed out at the same point with the longer coils.

it won't affect tire-to-strut clearance, but it will affect tire-to-fender clearance. there's a reason why you don't see any R50s with 34in tires. they don't fit. our wheel wells simply aren't large enough.

get bigger bump stops, problem solved.

But you're right though, at full compression tires would potentially rub as much as they would at stock height. How often are you going to be fully compressed though? Most people are looking for how much rubbing they'll get in average driving or lighter wheeling considering very few people actually push an R50. What you can do with 32" tires and 3" of lift without major body damage isn't particularly hardcore wheeling.

• 1 month later...

Year: 1996 SE 4x4

Lift : AC 2" coils w/ Warn Manual Hubs

Wheels : ProComp Rockcrawlers 15 x 8 BS 3.75"

Tires : BFG Mud Terrain T/A. 32x11.5x15

Notes: rubbing on full lock on inner plastic wheel well, door side.

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

• 7 months later...

Year: 1996 Pathfinder SE

lift : Stock/ no lift

Wheels : Aluminum 15x10

Tires : Cooper and Dunlop 31x10.5

Notes: Rubs like hell with no trimming. Requires some good work with the plastic.

PICT0031.jpg

Year: 2001 LE 3.5

Suspension: AC 2in Lift (KYB Struts, Pro Comp ES3k's, WARN Manual Hubs)

Wheels: Stock Double Tri-Spoke

Tires- 285-75-16 (33x11.5) BFG AT

Notes: 1.5in Wheel Spacers added on the front for use of stock wheels with bigger tires. Little rubbing after trimming only while parallel parking.

100_1032-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 2001 PF. 3.5L with KYB Struts and OME springs

No real lift.

I've got 16" wheels and am getting some BFG AT. Without cutting, can I run 265/70 R16 size tires, or do I need 255/70 R16?

Also, if they don't rub on road, will they rub off road with all the jarring going on?

Thx,

Raz

• 1 month later...

Is it the width or the height of the tire that is the major factor in coming in contact with the struts?

Of a larger tire, that is.

Edited by TooQForYou

Its a combination of those plus the back spacing of the wheels. you can go tall and wide if you got the right back spacing or wheel spacers. what do you want to run?

Jose

i'd go with a 245/70/17 just because of availability of that tire and the options that you'll have for that size.

without even looking into our special order catalog, i don't even think that size is available or is pretty limited in options as far as the tires we can get at Costco.

There's actually 13 different A/T tires available in 245/75-17 on tirerack.com. Plus, when it is time for new tires, I'd want to go significantly taller. Going from a 245/65 to a 70 on a 17-inch rim only nets about half an inch more ground clearance, while a 75 would give about an inch.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

• Like 1

i meant availability as far as popularity of the size. much more likely to find that tire in most tire shops rather than having to order the tire.

out of curiosity, why do you want to keep the stock width? why not go with a much more popular size in 265/65/17 or something of that nature?

I don't want to go with anything wider 'cause I figure this width has been fine. Plus more rubber means more weight, and I would think it would be harder to turn with a wider wheel. Also I like them tall and skinny.

And I've heard tall skinny tires do better in mud, which is mostly what we have here in Florida as far as offroading goes. No rock crawling here.

Edited by TooQForYou
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Year: 1996 LE

Lift: OME

Wheels : 15", 4" backspacking. They're soft8s

Tires : 31x10.5 BFG Duratracs

Notes: Front bumper was trimmed on the corners, still rubs at full lock.

Year: 2005

lift : OME 2" coils - KYB Struts - OME Shocks

Wheels : Patrol Wheels 16"

Tires : BF Goodrich A/T - 265/70 R16

Notes: No rubbing at all exceopt when the steering is full and the terrain is eneven . The tire being so close the strut is a concern but then again this distnce is supposed to be static so didnt go for a spacer .

IMG00226-20100409-0936.jpg

IMG00225-20100409-0936.jpg

Regards

The Crow

• Like 2

hey

any ideas if 285 75 16 would fit with shift's kits sub frame drop. i think it will be a total lift of 4inches.. trying to go with 33's

I'm piecing my SFD right now and that's the whole reason I'm doing it - to run the 33's.

I think the primary concern with 33's on the R50 (in my opinion) is the strut clearance, front wheel well/bumper rubbing, and rear tire tucking. You'll have to look in to aftermarket rims with around 3.25" backspacing or wheel spacers/adapters of around 1.5", but I think most of us are OK with either of those (or in my case a combination of the two).

There are a couple folks that have run with 33's on the 2" AC lift (AlexRex and 01silvapathy) but I think Alex may run without fender flares and may have dones some signifiant "trimming" and 01silvapathy as tires that measure about 32.7" or less.

You guys (Alex/SilvaPathy) correct me where I mis-spoke...

• 3 months later...

Year: 2002

lift : stock. will probably get some new shocks/struts later on, but a lift is not in the plans.

Wheels : stock 16" tri-stake wheels

Tires : Michelin X Radial LT2 255/70/16

Notes: no rub whatsoever and no cutting done at all.

year 2001 3.5 SE

OME 1.75" lift

replaced stock 16" w/ 31x10.5x15" on 15" steelies, no tire rubbing issues w/ 4.25 BS w/ 1" clearance to lower spring perch on strut.

NOTE: Book at shop lists them to fit...company website lists them to fit...

THEY DONT FIT!

I had to grind ALOT of material out of the way to get them to stop rubbing!!!! I couldnt pass up the deal i got on the tires and rims...but now that i just replaced the pads and CALIPERS...the 15'S DONT FIT...im waiting on spacers now.

Tye