Auto Transmission Sound

GreenEnvy94Pathy

I was driving back from Southern Ca on Thursday, and I had a really weird sound coming from the back of my Pathfinder. The sound only shows up from speeds of 70-75mph, its a buzzing sound almost like a phone ringing, and a whining sound. From 75-80mph it is just the loud whining sound... under 70 no sound, above 80 no sound, just 70-80, and its loud. I got a oil change when I got back, and they checked the ATF. Everything looked ok, and fluid level was fine. I tried the search, and was unable to uncover anyone with a similar prob. A couple of things, no I do not have a aftermarket tranny cooler, and yes I am going to buy one TOMORROW. Transmission shifts great, no issues there, just the sound. So are we thinking maybe the trans, or differential, or something else?

Also I am completely helpless, not a talented mechanic at all, so a aftermarket tranny cooler, where would I get one, and how hard is it to install.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Edited by GreenEnvy94Pathy

Also I am completely helpless, not a talented mechanic at all, so a aftermarket tranny cooler, where would I get one, and how hard is it to install.

Transadapt makes something suitable and there are more listed here...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6486

While it is straight forward, it sounds like you should pay to have it installed.

As for the noise, U joints? Unlikely but possible. Rear differential? Possibly, when was the last time the fluid was changed? Loose exhaust heat shield? Maybe... "Sound" issues are real hard to diagnose without hearing. Perhaps someone else has better ideas...

B

I also had a similar whine/whistle noise around 65-75 MPH... I changed diff fluid and put in synthetic and that seems to have quieted it down a little bit, but there's still a little noise, but it's much more tolerable than before. Dunno if someone climbing in the trunk and listening for the sound would help at least pinpoint the general vicinity of the sound to narrow down the culprit.

Agree on getting the cooler installed if you aren't very good at turning a wrench... If you want to buy one and have someone install it, I have this one in my bookmarks, and I think it's the one that someone here or another site recommended I get:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...268&N=700+0