Automatic to Manual Locks

aeternaldark

My 91 6v se started making noises, i was afraid it was the transfer itself. When i drove it with the mechanic, he told that it was the automatic LOCK hubs, and that i should change them.

He gave me some options that i've never heard before... one of them changing the automatic locks for some manual lock out hubs, wich made me wonder about how to get them, i mean: do i need brand and model specific replacements or are there any generic type? is it better to get manual or automatics?

Please, help me. :puterpunch:

Thanks.

dont quote me but from what ive heard manual are better. warn and mile marker both make manual hubs. some hardbodys also had factory manuals which are considered the strongest of all the hubs.

87-89 are 27 spline. Warn, MM, and super winch all make hubs for them.

90-95 are 28 spline. Warn and MM are the only suplier.

Factory HB manuals are 28 spline.

I had auto hub in my 95 that I swapped out for a set of Warn manual hubs. I would have to say that it is nice to know the hubs are engauged on the trail at all times. I was on a trail before I did the swap, and was still in 2wd. Most of it was easy, but then I needed to get over a burm and couldnt seem to get enout traction. I put it in 4wd and still wouldnt grab. The auto hubs need to be rolled forward before they will engauge. I had to roll backward then forward to get them to engauge. When they finally engauged, they did so with a loud bang! Now, I guess the only drawback to the manual hubs is that you have to get out and lock them in ahead of time. Still, some of the best money I spent on my rig.

dont quote me but from what ive heard manual are better. warn and mile marker both make manual hubs. some hardbodys also had factory manuals which are considered the strongest of all the hubs.

87-89 are 27 spline. Warn, MM, and super winch all make hubs for them.

90-95 are 28 spline. Warn and MM are the only suplier.

are they sold by the pair? ive found some online, but they wouldnt say if theyre singles or packs.... and pictures are not very accurate.

They made 27 and 28 spline ones. The 27 spline ones are on all (all wi/o autos) HB 4x4 until 90, 91+ have 27 spline on 4cyl and 28 spline on V6.

I know an Xterra owner who ordered a 28 spine set from Nissan,dunno what the cost new though.

I just got a set of Milemarker hubs from O'Reillys for $84.99 with free shipping about a month ago. Install was simple, it took about an hour total ( had one stubborn allen bolt ). I used an allen wrench with a box wrench slid onto it for extra leverage to remove the old bolts + lots of aerokroil spray. The Milemarker's seem solid to me, but I haven't been on the trails yet.

I just got a set of Milemarker hubs from O'Reillys for $84.99 with free shipping about a month ago. Install was simple, it took about an hour total ( had one stubborn allen bolt ). I used an allen wrench with a box wrench slid onto it for extra leverage to remove the old bolts + lots of aerokroil spray. The Milemarker's seem solid to me, but I haven't been on the trails yet.

Item No. is 435 if any one is interested. I don't see them getting any cheaper than that.

some hardbodys also had factory manuals which are considered the strongest of all the hubs.

I found an HB in a JY today and took its manuals. less than $15 (I think nissan would want 400 for em new) they turn smoothly and had a thick coat of fresh grease inside them and whiping some away I found no corrosion. I don't feel a click when it reaches the free or the lock position, is that normal? don't want them turning on thier own. I don't know what year the HB was but if the splines don't match my '89 tomorrow they will be up for sale.

ok I think I'm Missing something... My auto hubs enguage the cv splines but it looks like the manual locks grab a cog that goes on the splines.(which I guess I left on the donor vehicle) I don't know the 2 very well but do I need to go back to the JY and pull more off that HB? SHould that cog piece held on with a snap ring or will a need a special tool?

here's some pix the first one is the manual the middle compares and the last is the auto.

th_manlock.jpg th_bothlocks.jpg th_autolock.jpg

edit: click to enlarge

Edited by MY1PATH

Yeah, because they search our forum looking for people comming out there. The place I go here searches your toolbox and if you look like you are attempting to hide something they might question you.

How's this, keep the receipt with you and take your tool box in. When they search it on the way out say, "yeah I bought those here last week and forgot to take them out of the box," and show them the receipt. :shrug:

I got the locking spines! no charge :beer: the bearings on them are nice and smooth but not loose. so now I'm on the strongest manual locks out there (according to Nismojunky) and for less than $15.

The sanp rings on the manuals were about .060" and I could not get them into the grooves so I used the snap rings from my autolocks which are thinner, prolly .050" I'm sure thats ok right?

I also scored an SE steering wheel (4 spokes) to repalce my XE wheel(2 spokes) so the spokes aren't where I want to put my hands anymore!

Edited by MY1PATH

• 2 years later...

Item No. is 435 if any one is interested. I don't see them getting any cheaper than that.

I just ordered my set online....$81.89, no shipping and no tax if outside California. Now that is CHEAP!!!

Mile Marker 435

Edited by cbr900boy