Fix your Keyless Entry!

5523Pathfinder

Ok everyone, there has been a lot of trouble figuring out and repairing your Vehicle Security Systems(or Keyless entry). I copied some TSB's that are a little hard to find. Hopefully this will help as there are wiring diagrams, component locations, wiring colors and even a few replacement part numbers. This stuff is not printed in the Service Manual! Hope this helps.

keylesstsb1.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Thank you very much!! My first Pathy's system was thrashed and disabled, while the new Pathy's works perfectly. Regardless of that, I know how often people have questions about issues with it. You have helped a lot of people out!! :beer:

B

Post it up... before I bought my aftermarket system I considered getting the stock components from a wrecking yard. But not knowing exactly what items would be needed from another truck, I ended up opting for an aftermarket keyless entry.

Ok, so maybe you want to add the factory VSS to your 87-90 pathfinder. This is the installation TSB. It does not give the exact part numbers used for every component. I would use the parts list from above. Or, if you know a older Nissan parts guy who can remember that stuff, they should be able to help you figure it all out.

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg

scan0015.jpg

scan0016.jpg

scan0017.jpg

scan0018.jpg

Edited by 5523Pathfinder
  • Like 1

I tore into the alarm this weekend while I installed a carpet kit, which was a whole other can of worms. The idagram was great and I think I found my problem. I get no power over either of the lines marked on the diagram that have fuses on them. Anyone have any idea where those darn fuses might be? They are not with the relays under hood nor are they in the fuse panel below the steering wheel.

Look at the second page of the second TSB posted. It says to check the "Room Lamp" fuse....

That was the first thing I did. It is fine. Dome lamps, radio standby power and a number of other things run off of it too. There are two fuses on that diagram, are they both referring to that fuse?

I would take a test light or a DVOM and check for power at pn #15 on the contol unit. If you have power there, its ok. If not, you may need to trace the harness to find a fuse. That fuse may be under the dash tied up into the harness.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My system status light flashes fast all the time no matter what position the switch is in. my keyless entry does not work at all. truck didn't have a battery in it for almost a year replaced battery in remote but i haven't checked to see if its the right one or not. please help. btw i'm on here via my cellphone lol so i can't read the vss bulletins very easily

i had that same problem in my old 93 man i couldnt figure it out it might be a bad pin or something on your little alarm box under your seat. I checked all my pins and took the battery out countless times. then my tbelt asliped and fskced the motor so I parted it out. I do have a brand new remote thinking that was the problem. I never did open it or even use it. Now i can use it on my 92 pathfinder becasue i computer a aftermarket compustar one. So if anyone wants the remote let me know

• 8 months later...

It took me about forever to figure this one out, but I finally got it working so I am adding this in the hopes it helps someone else. I never did find the fusible links from the diagram so I re-ran new wires from the fuse box to the alarm module for both the constant +12v lines as well as the line that is only hot when the key is at run. The alarm and keyless entry now work flawlessly!

• 9 months later...

i had that same problem in my old 93 man i couldnt figure it out it might be a bad pin or something on your little alarm box under your seat. I checked all my pins and took the battery out countless times. then my tbelt asliped and fskced the motor so I parted it out. I do have a brand new remote thinking that was the problem. I never did open it or even use it. Now i can use it on my 92 pathfinder becasue i computer a aftermarket compustar one. So if anyone wants the remote let me know

Hey,

Great post! I am trying to locate a factory Key FOB for my 1989 Pathfinder. I am also trying to determine if I have the "Factory" dealerinstalled VSS. I called the local dealer here in the Minnetonka and they had no idea, and all the techs on staff aren't old enough to have worked on a 89 !. Based on the TSB posted here, it appears I may have thed same system, however I cant locate the small box that's suppose to be under the drivers seat. I have a switch on the console, and the alarm works when armed, and if you bump into the vehicle it goes off. So, all that being said. I am wondering if you still have the key FOB and what the part # is ? I think the correct part # is 999U7-6D001. If you do have it, how much would you be willing to sell it for ?

Thanks in advance,

krmiller07

try keylessride.com they have aftermarket ones that IMO are better made (last much longer)and cheaper than the originals, it's what I use. Search keyless ride on ebay, they used to sell them even cheaper in their ebay store

try keylessride.com they have aftermarket ones that IMO are better made (last much longer)and cheaper than the originals, it's what I use. Search keyless ride on ebay, they used to sell them even cheaper in their ebay store

Thanks, I tried them. They don't sell the Fobs for Pathys anymore. The only models they carry are for 280 & 300 ZX's. I cant locate the control box, I traced the wire from the button for the hood swith back to the fuse panel, but that's where it all ends. There is an arming swith (toggle) mounted in the center console next to the E-brake. That switch is powered and will arm the alarm. I can get the alarm to go off and it sounds like it was wired or tied into the horn to alert you. Any ideas where the control box could be mounted, if not under the drivers or passenger seats ? If I can locate the box, I think I can find a FOB, and reset the box to 'learn' the new fob. Based on what is written in the TSB above, there should be a reset button on the control box ?

Open to all ideas !

Edited by krmiller07

Thanks, I tried them. They don't sell the Fobs for Pathys anymore. The only models they carry are for 280 & 300 ZX's. I cant locate the control box, I traced the wire from the button for the hood swith back to the fuse panel, but that's where it all ends. There is an arming swith (toggle) mounted in the center console next to the E-brake. That switch is powered and will arm the alarm. I can get the alarm to go off and it sounds like it was wired or tied into the horn to alert you. Any ideas where the control box could be mounted, if not under the drivers or passenger seats ? If I can locate the box, I think I can find a FOB, and reset the box to 'learn' the new fob. Based on what is written in the TSB above, there should be a reset button on the control box ?

Open to all ideas !

This may sound dumb but when I first started trying to program a new nissan fob i bought on ebay based on the info from this forum i kept trying to find my box under the drivers seat. I was thinking it would be out in the open and mounted the same way the ecu box was mounted under the passenger seat. You know just stick your hand under the seat and you can see and feel the box and wires.

Turns out my alarm box was completely covered by the front and rear carpets and i had to take the front seat out and pull the carpet back at the point were the front and rear carpets overlap to get to it.

Not sure if my alarm control box was mounted like that from the factory or if a carpet kit was installed in my truck by the previous owner at some point and they just took the lazy way out and covered up the box with the new carpet. The passenger side probably was pre-cut out for the ecu but since the alarm was optional maybe the carpet installer was supposed to cut out a square for the alarm control box and didn't.

In all the stuff I've seen about reprogramming the box in this forum nobody's ever mentioned the fact that the seat had to come out to get to the box so I never understood why mine was buried under the carpet like that but it was.

Edited by dhardison

This may sound dumb but when I first started trying to program a new nissan fob i bought on ebay based on the info from this forum i kept trying to find my box under the drivers seat. I was thinking it would be out in the open and mounted the same way the ecu box was mounted under the passenger seat. You know just stick your hand under the seat and you can see and feel the box and wires.

Turns out my alarm box was completely covered by the front and rear carpets and i had to take the front seat out and pull the carpet back at the point were the front and rear carpets overlap to get to it.

Not sure if my alarm control box was mounted like that from the factory or if a carpet kit was installed in my truck by the previous owner at some point and they just took the lazy way out and covered up the box with the new carpet. The passenger side probably was pre-cut out for the ecu but since the alarm was optional maybe the carpet installer was supposed to cut out a square for the alarm control box and didn't.

In all the stuff I've seen about reprogramming the box in this forum nobody's ever mentioned the fact that the seat had to come out to get to the box so I never understood why mine was buried under the carpet like that but it was.

Actually, that is FAR from a dumb answer ! I did and thought the same thing. Should be out in the open and obvious...but it's not. I would think since these were supposedly dealer installed options, a tech would take the easy way out and mount it under the seat where it's fast and easy.I guess it would make sense to hide it under the carpet where it can't be tampered with. When I pull my seat out, I'll feel around and pull up the carpet. Maybe it is hidden in there some where. I'll post and let everyone who's replyed know. : )

Thanks again,

krmiller07

Actually, that is FAR from a dumb answer ! I did and thought the same thing. Should be out in the open and obvious...but it's not. I would think since these were supposedly dealer installed options, a tech would take the easy way out and mount it under the seat where it's fast and easy.I guess it would make sense to hide it under the carpet where it can't be tampered with. When I pull my seat out, I'll feel around and pull up the carpet. Maybe it is hidden in there some where. I'll post and let everyone who's replyed know. : )

Thanks again,

krmiller07

Ok ! I found the 'black box' under the carpet, under the drivers seat ! Thanks for the heads up on that. Now my next question/ problem is...how do you reset the code for a new or different key fob ? I took the 4 mounting screws off and flipped the box over, looking for a "re-set" button, and found nothing. I also took the bottom cover off, and found no buttons, switchs etc. The only things I did find were a "sensativity" screw behind a small rubber button. I'm thinking this must be used to adjust the senseativity of the motion sensor? I also saw a small LED light about 3" to the left of the rubber button. This is CLEARLY marked "NISSAN" on the black plastic box, so I have no reservations on the manufacturer of the alarm system. There was NO label hiding a 7/8" hole with a re-set button on this box. Does anyone know how you program a new or different fob to this type of alarm system ? The only othe markings were on a label attached to the box, N VSS #083788, which I assume means Nissan Vehicle Security System.

Edited by krmiller07

Ok ! I found the 'black box' under the carpet, under the drivers seat ! Thanks for the heads up on that. Now my next question/ problem is...how do you reset the code for a new or different key fob ? I took the 4 mounting screws off and flipped the box over, looking for a "re-set" button, and found nothing. I also took the bottom cover off, and found no buttons, switchs etc. The only things I did find were a "sensativity" screw behind a small rubber button. I'm thinking this must be used to adjust the senseativity of the motion sensor? I also saw a small LED light about 3" to the left of the rubber button. This is CLEARLY marked "NISSAN" on the black plastic box, so I have no reservations on the manufacturer of the alarm system. There was NO label hiding a 7/8" hole with a re-set button on this box. Does anyone know how you program a new or different fob to this type of alarm system ? The only othe markings were on a label attached to the box, N VSS #083788, which I assume means Nissan Vehicle Security System.

Maybe that's all it is, a factory alarm. Not an alarm and keyless entry.

The Nissan instructions that came with my fob said the reset button that's under the sticker in the 7/8" hole is yellow if you see any buttons that color attached to the circuit board.

Edited by dhardison

Maybe that's all it is, a factory alarm. Not an alarm and keyless entry.

The Nissan instructions that came with my fob said the reset button that's under the sticker in the 7/8" hole is yellow if you see any buttons that color attached to the circuit board.

Did you have to take the circut board out of the black box to find the reset button ? Or was it on the top or bottom of the black box ?

Did you have to take the circut board out of the black box to find the reset button ? Or was it on the top or bottom of the black box ?

No I didn't mine, was in the hole on the top of the box and covered by the sticker that you say your box doesn't have. The fob I got included this replacement sticker to cover the hole when I was finished programming. I've posted a link to the instruction sheet in pdf format that was included with my fob.

partslabel.jpg

And these instructions link

Fob Instructions PDF

I thought based on what you posted you had completely removed the top and bottom covers off the box because neither one had the access hole.

• 1 month later...

Okay guys and gals, questions about all of this.

I just bought a '95 and as I was tinkering with the key fob, it SEEMS to have died. Now, i'm not sure if there's simply a malfunction in the system or if it's something as simple as a dead key fob or maybe even a short in a wire.

SYMPTOMS: all doors will randomly lock when I manually lock or unlock a door. using the lock/unlock button on the door gets no result other than a chirp from the alarm and a blink on the alarm LED, unless I unlock one door manually and then press the unlock botton (then, they all unlock). My key fob won't do anything. The alarm won't deactivate (or activate - not sure if it's active or just a ghost in the machine) and the keyless entry does nothing. The most annoying part of this is that my doors randomly lock when I try to open them...yeah, that'll freak you out when you go to exit your vehicle and the all the door locks click in unison for no apparent reason. And to top it off, I went to enter from the outside of the vehicle yesterday and as I lifted the handle, all the doors locked and the key lock wouldn't work (as if the system was holding it locked). Luckely, I had a window down enough to reach in. I've even tried shutting the alarm switch to off and it doesn't seem to do anything, still the same results. I really don't like the idea of being out somewhere and trying to enter my non-locked vehicle to have the doors tauntingly lock me out when I grab the handle. And living in Michigan in October isn't a great time to leave your windows down all the time, with the rain and cold.

I'm willing to buy a new key fob to give that a try, but my bank account tells me that it's feeling pretty drained after purchasing the vehicle and I need to wait a couple weeks. And the idea of simply disconnecting the V.S.S. unit until I purchased and received a new key fob had crossed my mind, but would this create any other problems with the operation of the vehicle?

Long story short...any ideas what form of demon has possesed my Pathy and how do I get rid of it???