Muffler/Resonator Questions

Mobbs

Last winter in Tahoe i had what i thought was my muffler rust off. I then went to a shop were a guy welded one he had laying around for $100. It now sounds horrible and i am considering buying the flowmaster 44. It sounds as if the air is spraying out the back right now.

Is the resonator and the muffler the same thing? The flowmaster 44 has a 2.25 flange, what size tip should i buy, (2.50)? Is there anything else i may be forgetting?

I can tell you a muffler and a resonator are certainly not the same thing. The muffle on the VG33 is the first of the two muffler looking pieces, the rectangular one. The round muffler lookalike is actually your resonator...I think a 2.5 inch tip is as big as I would go on any vehicle, but thats all personal preference...

I don't know what the actual air flow differences are between the muffler and resonator, but no, they are not the same. You have exhaust which comes off of both sides of your engine, each through an exhaust manifold and through a catalytic converter. They both go into the muffler and exit through one pipe which runs through the resonator.

The tail pipe rusted off of my resonator last spring and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet ($$). I just plan to cut it out and run a straight pipe back from the muffler.

the resonator is definitely not necessary, it basically serves to further 'refine' the exhaust sound/resonance (hence the name).

You can get away with running a 2.5" pipe exiting the muffler, instead of the stock 2.25. I went with a dual in, single out muffler and had the shop weld it in. 2.5" exhaust will lose a bit of low end torque, but not a noticeable amount for me. the greater mid range power was noticeable though

as far as a tip goes, it depends on what kind you are buying. if they are welding it on, get one designed for a 2.25" pipe. if it is one of the cheaper bolt on types, then 2.5" would probably be ok.

No i am not going to get a bolt on tip lol. I know a guy that will weld my muffler for $30-50 seeing as i don't own a welder. I tried to post some pictures of the undercarriage, but the upload button wont let me.

Starting from the front i have a dual in square box to a single out, then i have a oval shape long single in/out that connects to my exhaust tip. I believe the last piece is my resonator, not a muffler. This might explain the spraying out the back. If that is the case after reading these posts, and many others i think i will just remove the resonator all together.

Do R50 pathfinders have a dual in to single out exhaust stock?

Edited by Mobbs