Speed Sensor / Mystery Wire Issue

crazyhayseed

So, I've had problems with my transmission since I bought the truck earlier this year.

The speedo was shot when I bought it, so I figured the VSS would need to be replaced. However, when I was under the truck working on the exhaust last week-end, I noticed some things out of place.

There are several loose wires at the P-side of the transfer case. I'd never seen them because the previous owner had zip-tied them up out of the way.

I'm certain that one goes to the speeder (which is a bit more than just worn out). The other... I dunno.

I can't find anything in the FSM that helps.

Here's a shot, along with a few snaps of the speed sensor. Please let me know if I've got this right...

IMG_0693wtf.jpg

IMG_0692a.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0694a.jpg

The neutral switch is connected as it should be. I can't find a place for this other guy.

Here's the sensor...

IMG_0699.jpg

Any ideas would be helpful. Also, does anyone know where I can get a new sensor on the cheap. I'm looking at a minimum of $120 ATM.

And (for the guys that have been trough this) is there any special way to remove the gear from the sensor? The replacements don't seem to come with one. I'm afraid I'll goof up the teeth by prying on it.

there should also be a reverse switch and a 4wd switch... also that doesnt look like a VSS... that looks like the adapter for the vss or the part the cable for the speedo goes to... that year is your truck?

there should also be a reverse switch and a 4wd switch... also that doesnt look like a VSS... that looks like the adapter for the vss or the part the cable for the speedo goes to... that year is your truck?

It's a 95 XE. It's electronic. No cable.

The end of the sensor has been broken off. That center ring is what's left.

This is what it the replacement looks like...

BA-0905002-1.jpg

I didn't see anything in the FSM about the Reverse switch. The 4WD sensor it refers to is the Speed Sensor I believe.

Unless I'm reading this drawing wrong... Which is all too possible. :crossedwires:

Edited by crazyhayseed

look in the body electrical section at the harness layouts and you may be able to determine what connectors are there and where they go

nevermind... I looked (pg EL-48 of the 95 suppliment)

For A/T, there should be a VSS and a transfer switch

For M/T, there are the VSS, the transfer switch, and the backup lamp switch (the WTF one)

in the FSM, the backup lamp switch is also called the reverse lamp switch and can be found on pages MT3 and/or MT14 in the FSM

Edited by k9sar

look in the body electrical section at the harness layouts and you may be able to determine what connectors are there and where they go

nevermind... I looked (pg EL-48 of the 95 suppliment)

For A/T, there should be a VSS and a transfer switch

For M/T, there are the VSS, the transfer switch, and the backup lamp switch (the WTF one)

in the FSM, the backup lamp switch is also called the reverse lamp switch and can be found on pages MT3 and/or MT14 in the FSM

I think the "transfer" switch is the neutral, yes?

Mine is an auto. So, is this connector unused then?

Part highlighted in red perhaps?

Revolution Sensor Assy

Humm. I checked, but the only thing mounted in that location is the linkage for the T-case shifter.

I don't see anything else missing. I'm gonna go with the "just in case it was a 5-speed" theory.

But would the broken speed sensor make the truck not want to shift from 1 - 2 (w/o goosing the throttle at 3k) and never into 3?

And why would the problem be progressive? Starting w/ a refusal to shift to OD, then slowly into it's current state over a period of weeks.

I think I remember reading about a few others w/ symptoms like this, but I don't recall a specific solution.

The only thing a can say is wrong with out doubt is the VSS. How it got this way I'll never know.