Vancouver weekend day trip.....

denisb

Vancouver BC?

Taking the gondola up Grouse Mountain is always a popular tourist desitnation, no better view of the city. Easy to kill a day walking around Vancouver, walk downtown a bit, go around the seawall, go down to Granville Island and check out the markets, if the weathers nice keep heading along to Kits beach to check out the wildlife.

i hear they have an amazing aquarium there too.

Vancouver Aquarium

I think it has a touch pool to check out all the critters. I still remember doing that at the Mote Marine Labratory in Sarasota Fla when i was a kid.

My friend just did the gondola/hike by whistler/blackcomb and she came back with some pretty impressive photographs. It might be a little bit of a trek with kids tho.

Do you have any little ones accompanying you?

If Vancouver WA, drive to the other Vancouver!

Just kidding, Oliver. Which Vancouver are you referring to?

I really liked the BC aquariam. And the old part of town, where the old steam clock is.... And Stanley Park is nice.

A happy belated to you DenisB. Zibi's got you pretty much covered. We really liked the aquarium but there's no longer Orcas there. Whiterock is kinda nice.

But the best thing, if you have the time, money and appetite, is the South Beach House. It's a Mongolian stir-fry rest. right on the ocean. You want to look for Pt. Roberts on the map. It's a tiny peninsula on the American side but you can drive to it so you wont have to board the infamous BCFerries. My Mom used to live in Tsawassen and it was only about a half hour from there. Check it out..Really...it's wicked good. :aok:

Vancouver BC- Yes!

Kids- No!.......well I've got two fellow co-workers that might be of the right mentality, but I don't think that counts. ;) Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking about Grousse. I also like the aquarium and market idea.

Daftpup, thanks for the BDay wish and your Mogolian is awsome, so that might also be good.....

D

Instead of taking the gondola up/down Grouse moutain you should walk up the "grouse grind" trail and then take the gondola back down again. If you work up a bit of a sweat it should take you 1 hr to get up to the top. 1.5hrs if you don't sweat at all, and some people can do it in under 30min! The trail starts from the parking lot where you would otherwise get on the gondola. They have a grizzly exhibit up top of Grouse right now, my coworker just went last weekend.

People like to go to Capilano suspension bridge & park too. It's on the way to grouse mountain on Capilano road. It's a bit touristy but nice, cost like $10. If you prefer less tourists and no $ then head over to Lynn Canyon park, there is a suspension bridge and many walking/hiking trails, it's nice.

Walking around downtown, gastown and stanley park is nice. The aquarium is within stanley park.

Have fun!

Gastown is nice during the day but its crackhead central at night. If you want to see Vancouver's homeless problem then head down that way, or a few blocks closer to the waterfront. But it is really nice during the day, great stores, lots of old brick, a lot of history.

White Rock is nice but not worth the drive if you're staying in Vancouver. It's a bit of a commute. Same as Pt. Roberts, it's nice, but there are better things closer to Vancouver. I'd much rather go to the extensive Vancouver waterfront before I drove down to White Rock or further.

Grouse grind, you'll scare the man away from Vancouver man :) But if you like hiking then its a good, short, local trail with something worthwhile at the end. Just remember it's called the Grouse Grind for a reason (straight up hill).

Few more ideas for the Vancouver area itself:

If you're looking for bars check out the Granville strip on weekends, I'm pretty sure they're still closing down sections of Granville Street on Fri & Sat nights so there aren't the fights there used to be. Roxy is usually a good vibe with live music but there are a whole bunch of bars and clubs within a few blocks so plenty to choose from.

If you're down in Granville Island area for dinner, theres a great improv comedy club down there (www.vtsl.com). Good theatre sports shows on Friday & Saturday nights with an "unrated" late show. If you ever watched Whoes Line is it Anyway, Ryan Styles and Colin Mochary both had their start there as well as a few other comedians (that long haired dude from The Lone Gunmen...)

If you're doing the family / girlfriend type trip then the waterfront of West Vancouver is nice (north side of the inlet), area called Lonsdale with nice shops / restaurants and there is a beach called Dundarave thats a great family type beach (MILFs galore) with a good restaurant overlooking the water.

But yeah, Aquarium is good, haven't been since before they got rid of the orcas but its good. New baluga whale baby I think. Could go check out the maritime museum too before the **** government shuts it down.

but yeah, lots of interesting areas, got any questions just shout.

All I can think of is visiting the local trails... just got back in from playing on Eagle Ridge, we flipped a Jeep (well the owner did it but I said it was my Pathfinder, and has the mind abilities of being a Jeep hater). I think everyone else covered stuff to do in/around Vancouver...

Wow! Grouse in 1 hour 10 minutes! the last few hundred yards I wasn't sure if my legs were going to make it. Although I glad I can say I did it, I would describe it as crazzy,

Good stuff!!! Glad to hear you got up there in one piece. That's a good time for your first attempt. Was it clear so you had a good view from the top? Let us know what else you did and how you liked it.

If Vancouver WA, drive to the other Vancouver!

Hey! We were the original Couv, by the way. Plus there are far too many Canadians in that other Vancouver. :tongue:

Just stay away from Granville. We took a high school trip there and it was nothing but hookers and crack heads....unless that's your thing, in which case, have a ball in Granville!

Good stuff!!! Glad to hear you got up there in one piece. That's a good time for your first attempt. Was it clear so you had a good view from the top? Let us know what else you did and how you liked it.

I made it up in one piece, but if that trail was 200 yards longer I don't know if I would have made it.....or at least it felt that way the last 200 yards :tongue: and I bought a "I survived the grind".....not sure if this was because I survived or if I just needed a dry shirt......but I bought one.

The view was absolutely marvelous, not a cloud in the sky. I'd definately do it again......just not today or tomorrow (maybe in a month or so :) )

As for what I did.

I drove down Hastings a couple of times, which made me feel pretty good about my life :suicide:

Went to Metro Town. Impressive size mall.

Unfortunately, the co-worker I was travelling with was not so outgoing so we ended up just going for a few beers at one of our other co-workers that lives in New-West. We tried a Vietnamese place that was pretty good called Pho99.

Ate at Cactus Club almost every night. Hopfully we'll find another place to go out for a couple of beers later on this week or something :shiftyeyes: .

Denis