Really low on power

jpawela

Yep, go with a high flow it is available to you. Hopefully it won't cost too much regardless of what you choose.

Sorry we weren't any closer with our diagnosis, but it is hard when you are not there with the truck... :shrug:

B

if that doesnt help i had sort of the same problem. I found out my hood was hitting the little black wire that clips onto the MAF and it was pinching it werid so i wiggled it around and sure enough it felt a hell of a alot better when i started it up again. I also straight piped my pathy but i had to put a glass pack in becasue it was to loud lol. O well big difference so far. I might do the o2 sensor also just because mine as 200k miles and previous ppl did not take care of this car at all. Which is why i like it because it still runs great even after them not changing the oil for over 30k!!!! i have been changing it alot latly and its slowly becoming less sluggy and black and turning a little more clear! Makes a big difference. I also took of my cap and rotor and scuffed up the contact points with a peice of steel wool.

My 1995 pathy all the sudden started loosing power. With considerable throttle lag when starting out from a stoplight.

How do I check the Cat to see if it is clogged? I mean how can I tell?

just unbolt it and look in it?

-Mike

My 1995 pathy all the sudden started loosing power. With considerable throttle lag when starting out from a stoplight.

How do I check the Cat to see if it is clogged? I mean how can I tell?

just unbolt it and look in it?

-Mike

I'm not sure. I had mine checked by my good old friend and mechanic. I'm not sure what he did.

Just a note on this issue (or similar). My '94 Pathfinder was having trouble spontaneously. Sometimes it ran perfectly smooth and had the expected amount of power. Other times, I would hit a bump or just randomly it would seem to loose power and barely be able to accelerate, almost like half the cylinders were firing. I took a trip to Canada (from Idaho) and for about half of it, the truck got horrible mileage and had barely enough power to keep up at freeway speeds. One time I had to come back home after it lost power so bad I couldn't go up a short hill. It seemed to be happier when it cooled down.

I tried a lot of suggestions, checked ground wires, etc. It turned out it was the O2 sensor. I picked one up from AutoZone (about $80) and installed it in 30 minutes. After that the truck was immediately running better. Ever since it has been flawless. It is a big relief to be able to rely on the vehicle again.

I hope this helps someone out...

Just a note on this issue (or similar). My '94 Pathfinder was having trouble spontaneously. Sometimes it ran perfectly smooth and had the expected amount of power. Other times, I would hit a bump or just randomly it would seem to loose power and barely be able to accelerate, almost like half the cylinders were firing. I took a trip to Canada (from Idaho) and for about half of it, the truck got horrible mileage and had barely enough power to keep up at freeway speeds. One time I had to come back home after it lost power so bad I couldn't go up a short hill. It seemed to be happier when it cooled down.

I tried a lot of suggestions, checked ground wires, etc. It turned out it was the O2 sensor. I picked one up from AutoZone (about $80) and installed it in 30 minutes. After that the truck was immediately running better. Ever since it has been flawless. It is a big relief to be able to rely on the vehicle again.

I hope this helps someone out...

^Thanks for the reply and tip(s). I will look into that as I'm not sure if it's been replaced yet (I bought the truck a year ago).

• 2 weeks later...

I've pretty much got the same problem, and absolutely horrible mileage right now. It's not that it gradually went down or anything like that, but just one day i started to lose about 80-100Km per tank. Note that couple of months before I also replaced the O2 sensor and full tune-up. Going about 110 on the highway (same as about 65 mph) feels absolutely horrible and takes a HUGE amount of power. Don't even want to mention if someone else is driving in the car with me, makes it even worse.

I had tramission problems while the mileage went down too, but have since swapped out my faulty transmission with a rebuilt unit and it's working great. No change on the mileage after.

I also took it to the mechanics, and they checked everything over - cleaned the MAS, checked plugs, timing, rotor, cap, timing, error codes, i got a K&N Filter. Nothing wrong.

They did hook it up to check the exhaust and did tell me that i have a leak in my EGR valve - so of course I asked them to fix it.

Still no better mileage.

I also got the fuel injectors cleaned, and whatever other bs they charge you a huge amount of money for.

Still no better mileage.

One main question that I have is about the O2 Sensor. I wanted to see if there was a difference with it plugged out. I unplugged it, drove around for a tank, and completely no change.

But how come the check engine light didn't come on?

I'm gonna try to do the error code check on the computer and see if anything comes up.But the mechanics said they already did this, and no errors coming up.

Could this also be the Cat? Hate wasting money on this, and don't want to ask/trust the mechanics again.

(For the hell of it while i was in Vancouver over the weekend, I stopped off at the Nissan dealer to ask how much is a cat and muffler...they quoted me OVER $800!!! JUST FOR PARTS!! I started to laugh.)

I've pretty much got the same problem, and absolutely horrible mileage right now. It's not that it gradually went down or anything like that, but just one day i started to lose about 80-100Km per tank. Note that couple of months before I also replaced the O2 sensor and full tune-up. Going about 110 on the highway (same as about 65 mph) feels absolutely horrible and takes a HUGE amount of power. Don't even want to mention if someone else is driving in the car with me, makes it even worse.

I had tramission problems while the mileage went down too, but have since swapped out my faulty transmission with a rebuilt unit and it's working great. No change on the mileage after.

I also took it to the mechanics, and they checked everything over - cleaned the MAS, checked plugs, timing, rotor, cap, timing, error codes, i got a K&N Filter. Nothing wrong.

They did hook it up to check the exhaust and did tell me that i have a leak in my EGR valve - so of course I asked them to fix it.

Still no better mileage.

I also got the fuel injectors cleaned, and whatever other bs they charge you a huge amount of money for.

Still no better mileage.

One main question that I have is about the O2 Sensor. I wanted to see if there was a difference with it plugged out. I unplugged it, drove around for a tank, and completely no change.

But how come the check engine light didn't come on?

I'm gonna try to do the error code check on the computer and see if anything comes up.But the mechanics said they already did this, and no errors coming up.

Could this also be the Cat? Hate wasting money on this, and don't want to ask/trust the mechanics again.

(For the hell of it while i was in Vancouver over the weekend, I stopped off at the Nissan dealer to ask how much is a cat and muffler...they quoted me OVER $800!!! JUST FOR PARTS!! I started to laugh.)

My "check engine" light didn't come on either. :shrug: That is if I disconnected the right plug. :crossedwires: