Rancho Vs KYB Struts

ronin152

I am pretty much ordering the lift but just need to decide between the rancho front struts and the kyb front struts? I will be getting the Rancho 9000xl rear shocks. Which do you think will work best with the AC lift. I have heard good things about both but just can't decide between the two. I can actually get the kybs for 20 less off of www.performancecenter.com so which should I go for? Thanks.

When I was researching my lift, I found a lot of good feedback about both brands, however a few people mentioned the KYB typically last longer than Rancho... Do some searching, I'm sure there are a few threads about this around here.

99010 Rancho shocks for the rear are slightly longer than stock length.

I am just nervous about the KYB because I bought them before and thought they were pretty soft. But that was compressing them by hand? Also it seems like alot of guys with the 3.3 L go with the KYB. Not sure if they will be alright with the lighter 3.5 up front? I like the ranchos because they adjust the valving but I had orginally ordered the rancho but switchted to KYB after reading so hopefully you guys are right :crossedwires:

I am just nervous about the KYB because I bought them before and thought they were pretty soft. But that was compressing them by hand? Also it seems like alot of guys with the 3.3 L go with the KYB. Not sure if they will be alright with the lighter 3.5 up front? I like the ranchos because they adjust the valving but I had orginally ordered the rancho but switchted to KYB after reading so hopefully you guys are right :crossedwires:

Don't confuse rear shocks with front struts. My recommendation is KYB GR2 struts up front (not Rancho), but adjustable Rancho shocks in the rear (99010 if you have a lift). Rancho doesn't make adjustable struts. I have helped install both brands of struts, and the Ranchos' fit and finish wasn't as good as the GR2s'. The brake lines didn't fit correctly on the bracket on the Rancho struts. I've never had a problem with the GR2's.

Don't confuse rear shocks with front struts. My recommendation is KYB GR2 struts up front (not Rancho), but adjustable Rancho shocks in the rear (99010 if you have a lift). Rancho doesn't make adjustable struts. I have helped install both brands of struts, and the Ranchos' fit and finish wasn't as good as the GR2s'. The brake lines didn't fit correctly on the bracket on the Rancho struts. I've never had a problem with the GR2's.

Yeah thats what I got. I had the kyb front struts before and compressed them by hand. They felt softer then even a mountain bike shock. I guess it is just marketing playing with my head. I'm like how can a premium pretty much OE replacement strut be better then a "offroading" strut. But You guys have actually used them and I guess if you have no complaints its all good. THanks for the help!

Yeah thats what I got. I had the kyb front struts before and compressed them by hand. They felt softer then even a mountain bike shock. I guess it is just marketing playing with my head. I'm like how can a premium pretty much OE replacement strut be better then a "offroading" strut. But You guys have actually used them and I guess if you have no complaints its all good. THanks for the help!

Make no mistake: The GR2's are not an OEM-equivalent strut! The OEM struts, even though they are manufactured by KYB, are nothing like the GR2's. You cannot compress the GR2's easily by hand, as they are gas-charged. When I had OEM struts installed, the weight of my bumper and winch caused the front end to bounce a lot while driving over freeway expansion joints at low speeds (25-35mph). The GR2's significantly improved the damping of the suspension, so the bouncing over the same surfaces was greatly reduced.

You won't be sorry.

For a slightly lifted R50 - with the Old Man Emu 1" lift coils and a front 3/4" spacer - what worked for me the best was the Rancho 99010 shocks for the rear (slightlhy longer and adjustable) and KYB GR2s struts for the front. Right now I have Rancho RSX struts, but I liked the GR2s better.

Edited by arcano

Thanks guys I ended up going with the KYB. It got them for like 58 a piece with free shipping! Beats AC's 102 dollars and like 100 dollar shipping. Thats the only thing AC is rediculous with its prices and shipping.

the weight of my bumper and winch caused the front end to bounce a lot while driving over freeway expansion joints at low speeds (25-35mph).

Dean, what the hell were you doing on the freeway doing 25-35 mph?... you're gonna cause an accident pulling shenanigans like that!

Dean, what the hell were you doing on the freeway doing 25-35 mph?... you're gonna cause an accident pulling shenanigans like that!

Um, ever heard of rush-hour traffic?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys I ended up going with the KYB. It got them for like 58 a piece with free shipping! Beats AC's 102 dollars and like 100 dollar shipping. Thats the only thing AC is rediculous with its prices and shipping.

Where did you get the kybs for 58shipped??

• 2 months later...

just wanted to share this i know its not really related but i used to be on a maxima forum and still go back from time to time, they have group deals from alot of people buyin stuff to get a discount, i didnt buy them yet but im planning to

this guy quoted me 79 shipped for rear pair of kyb gr2 for my pathfinder

he has his number there so maybe u guys could call and get a good deal too , im not making no money off of this i promise , im just sharing bc this forum has been helping me

maybe u guys still find a better price , if so hook me up lol

group deal forum kyb

just wanted to share this i know its not really related but i used to be on a maxima forum and still go back from time to time, they have group deals from alot of people buyin stuff to get a discount, i didnt buy them yet but im planning to

this guy quoted me 79 shipped for rear pair of kyb gr2 for my pathfinder

he has his number there so maybe u guys could call and get a good deal too , im not making no money off of this i promise , im just sharing bc this forum has been helping me

maybe u guys still find a better price , if so hook me up lol

group deal forum kyb

The Pathfinder does not use struts in the rear, it uses shocks, so your group buy wouldn't apply anyway. The guy who quoted you $79 does not know what he's talking about.

The Pathfinder does not use struts in the rear, it uses shocks, so your group buy wouldn't apply anyway. The guy who quoted you $79 does not know what he's talking about.

yea that price was for shocks , i told him i needed 2 rear shocks

yea that price was for shocks , i told him i needed 2 rear shocks

I didn't know that there was a GR2 shock application for the Pathfinder offered by KYB. News to me. I don't think anyone here has them.

so i guess that guy was wrong than i will have to call him sumtime this week to confirm

Originally Posted by importrp

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95seMax

rear shocks for a 2002 pathfinder , give me price for both agx and gr2 shipped to NY 11385

Rear pair of KYB GR-2 Shocks would be $79 shipped.

Rear pair of KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks would be $113 shipped.

We have these all in-stock and ready to ship.

Thanks,

Mike

sorry to interrupt...but i'm planning also to put the ac lift coils and struts on my 2001 and since canada seems like a second planet when it's time to ship parts from the USA (Cost related $$) , I'm going to try to find local parts... since I never done anything like this before (but want to learn), I just don't know what I might also need when changing the front struts with the kyb... I mean I see from the picture of the strut that there is no boot...so I guess I can transfer the boot from the oem.... But KYB also have a kit : sm5329 sm5329.jpg

is this necessary to fit properly the strut or can all this be taken from the original ?? might sound obvious for some, but then again, like I said... never done this before...

by the way, the guy was not wrong...these are valid replacement for the OEM rear shocks...it's just that they don't work with the ac lift... see here :kyb-02.jpg

S.

Edited by fleurys

I didn't know that there was a GR2 shock application for the Pathfinder offered by KYB. News to me. I don't think anyone here has them.

i just placed the order on the shocks, the guy seemed nice on the phone

i ordered 2 rear kyb gr2 shocks for my 02 path for 77.61 shipped :takebow:

Not to push my way into this thread or anything

but I've got KYB GR-2 struts on my '98 and they

are wicked both on and off the road. I've yet to

experience the Rancho RSX struts but have heard

they leave a lot to be desired when compared to

the KYB's...

• 6 months later...
Not to push my way into this thread or anything

but I've got KYB GR-2 struts on my '98 and they

are wicked both on and off the road. I've yet to

experience the Rancho RSX struts but have heard

they leave a lot to be desired when compared to

the KYB's...

I have the Rancho RSXs up front with the AC lift. Something very odd going on. 30" tires are rubbing the plastic at the front of the wheel well when turning. Particularly true in reverse. I originally had rub problems with my 235/85s because of the tire height and poor wheel offset. Top of strut tower was getting hammered badly. SO, I swapped my 30" BFG A/Ts back in, put in 16x7 steelies with 3" backspacing (vs the 16x8 aluminums with 4.25" backspacing I had on), had camber bolts installed and had an alignment done by a tech who actually knew his stuff at the local Nissan dealer. (3rd time's the charm. Finally found a good local dealership.)

Visually the tires have tons of room, but there seems to be a lot of roll and articulation when turning. Had someone reverse and do a few turns at low speed on a driveway. You could see the whole thing rolling round and see/hear the rubbing. The 30" are barely touching the plastic.

Now, with tread wear this problem will go away. BUT I'm more concerned about the principle of the thing. I've read elsewhere that folks have run 32" without probs. I don't have spacers but with 3" backspacing, I'm getting the equivalent of a standard 4-4.5" bs wheel with a 1-1.5" spacer. Tires stick out quite nicely. Incidentally, the rub problem was around even when I used a 1.25" spacer on the 4.25" aluminums.

(The steelies from US Wheel are a steal, btw. $290 delivered for a set of four 2-piece, MIG-welded surprisingly light wheels with any backspacing you want. Nice pattern too. Putting the blinger aluminum Ultras on ebay.)

Only thing I can think of now is that either the strut was poorly mounted or that the RSX simply rolls a heck of a lot more. The tech did say that he couldn't do much more on the alignment because the strut just wouldn't allow it and the camber bolts were maxed out... (The struts were installed by a different shop.)

Wow, that's a long post! Must be compensating for an entire week without internet access!!!!

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.