darn Locks

fastskier

I know that this is an issue with Pathfinder power locks - I read about it in the faqs but there wasn't that much detail. Can some one point me to instructions on what to do to fix my locks?

Here's what happens: They are fine in the summer. Come winter they will auto lock on me - when I shut one door all the locks will go down. I also have problems unlocking the door - I unlock it and when the lock gets to the top it powers down - I usually have to hold the lock up with the key while I open the door.

I apologize as I realize this has probably been posted before I just can't find it.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FreddyB

I'm new to this forum, but its sure nice to find out that it isn't just my truck that does this...I thought it was possessed.

You go to the dealer and try to explain it, and they think you're crazy....and then you go to show them the issue...and it doesn't do it.

Happens to my parent's '95 all the time...my dad now keeps a key with him and Autostart to unlock the doors. But, theirs also does it in the summer, just not as often. He's also learned to leave the alarm off after a car wash. For some reason (maybe water freezing and expanding) it pops the locks and you wake up at 3am to a squealing, horn-honking, flashing light fest. It's like the 4th of July only a lot colder and waaay more annoying.

As to the doors not opening while turning the keys. It's probably the knob that is being jammed or ubstructed; since the knob did not make it all the way up, it's almost like if the knob was being puched back down, because of the tension. I have noticed that the margin of puch, is very small on the knob, there really is no inbetween. Therefore it is my conclusion that the knobs are very sensitive. I would assume that any amount of obstruction would keep the knob from staying atop because of the tension, probably from the door lock motor. Basicly, if the knob does not make it all the way up to its full open position, it will come back down.

I too have experienced the car wash problem; the other nite I took my rig to the wash and the first thing that comes out of the guys mouth is "we are not responsible for frozen lock's". Now I tell the guy "yeah whatever" and dont really put much mind to the issue. Couple hours later after a 2 hour park, I go to open the door and to my shock, the locks are frozen. Now keep in mind, the temps where at around 0. So that was ignorant of me to believe that my Pathy was immune to this issue. Oh well, after 10 minutes of turning the lock w/ the key I finally got it open, and oh yea, some lock freeze lube also helped. Once the rig got warmed up, no prob.

Good luck..................... B)

• 3 years later...

As posted in other threads, the fix to this problem is usually to resolder some of the connections on the door lock control module board. Else you can change out the board for $200 at the dealer.

The board is located behind the side panel in the back. Just above the rear wheel well. There are two boards there - on mine one was silver and bigger (not the one you are looking for) and the other was grey and smaller (lower and closer to the front). Confirm that it is the right one by unplugging the connector to it. When I did that all my doors locked.

Anyways I took mine out last night and sure enough there were 2 pins that were missing solder. Soldered them up and reinstalled. At first I couldn't get it to lock, they would lock and then go right back up. Drove it around a bit and the locks seemed fine but then I parked and the same thing happened for about four cycles. It now seems to be working fine - hopefully it just had to reinitialize itself or something. Hopefully that's the end of the problem.