Blower motor issue

Little Mule

My 01 Path is having blower motor issues, which in no good in metro Phoenix in the summer. I did a search and read about typical blower motor and resistor issues. My issue seems to be a little different. We turn the fan on, and sometimes it come on, and sometimes it doesn't.

First, I took the blower motor out. Spins freely, no debris or leaves or junk stuck in it. I was actually surprised how pristine it looked in there. It was barely even dusty.

Second, I've read about other's people's resistor issues. But it doesn't matter what speed I set the fan, (1,2,3, or 4), it won't come on. I'll try it again a minute later, and it does. I'll try it again a minute later, and it won't again. When it does run, it will run on any speed.

It doesn't seem to be the dial switch either, as far as I can tell. I'll flip it back and forth, and it doesn't change anything.

Fuse is unbroken (obviously, or it would never come on.) All the connections seem solid. No rust or corrosion issues.

I think I'll try to just replace the resistor first since it is a cheaper part than the motor and see what happens, especially since I see that the motor works at times. But I'd thought I ask to see if anyone else has any ideas what might be going on. Thanks.

My 01 Path is having blower motor issues, which in no good in metro Phoenix in the summer. I did a search and read about typical blower motor and resistor issues. My issue seems to be a little different. We turn the fan on, and sometimes it come on, and sometimes it doesn't.

First, I took the blower motor out. Spins freely, no debris or leaves or junk stuck in it. I was actually surprised how pristine it looked in there. It was barely even dusty.

Second, I've read about other's people's resistor issues. But it doesn't matter what speed I set the fan, (1,2,3, or 4), it won't come on. I'll try it again a minute later, and it does. I'll try it again a minute later, and it won't again. When it does run, it will run on any speed.

It doesn't seem to be the dial switch either, as far as I can tell. I'll flip it back and forth, and it doesn't change anything.

Fuse is unbroken (obviously, or it would never come on.) All the connections seem solid. No rust or corrosion issues.

I think I'll try to just replace the resistor first since it is a cheaper part than the motor and see what happens, especially since I see that the motor works at times. But I'd thought I ask to see if anyone else has any ideas what might be going on. Thanks.

Sounds like the AC Control Amplifier

amp.jpg

I assume that is the red hi-lighted part in the pic?

If you hadn't included the picture, I would have thought you were making up parts and was pulling my leg. Got directions on how to get to it?

Yes, it is the part highlighted in red.

The diagram is a little misleading. It is actually behind and to the left and down of the radio inside the console. You will have to pull the center bezel, radio and ac control head to get to all of it. The AC control has a harness leading to it.

It is a white box with the control harnesses going into it.

Basically it is the 'brains' for this AC system.

Edited by Alkorahil

As I look at the diagram, this control amplifier isn't just in the digital air controls, is it? I have the manual dials to adjust fan, temp, and location of air flow.

Edited by Little Mule

Thanks for you help on this Rob,

I checked your profile. So I assume this is a dealer only part, and I see you are in charge of a dealer parts department. How much does this part cost? Does it benefit you if I order it from your company instead of locally here? That could be a small way to repay you for your help.

-Dean

The ideas in my head all point to dealer only parts.

I can probably beat the price your local dealer will charge. If you order from me it will be less $$ but take a few days to ship it. It is up to you.

I am not helping people just to make $$

I am helping people because they have helped me in the past.

For anyone who might have the same issue in the future, I THINK it must be my blower motor slowly dying. Tonight, I took the center console apart and checked the switch and its connections. It looked great. See pic. I dusted all connectios off with a little blast of air. I wanted to use my electric multitester to check everything, but it was at this moment that I found out the fuse in my multitester was blown, and I didn't have a spare. It just turned 9pm, so the autoparts store just closed.

post-507-1216878469_thumb.jpg

Then I took the glove box off, etc, and took the blower motor resistor out. Looked pristine. See pics. Blasted connections with air.

post-507-1216878573_thumb.jpg

post-507-1216878590_thumb.jpg

Then took blower motor out again. Housing only has a little dust. No leaves to deal with. The connections on the motor looked pristine. See pics.

post-507-1216878646_thumb.jpg

post-507-1216878838_thumb.jpg

post-507-1216878693_thumb.jpg

I plugged the harness back in, while carefully holding the back of the motor, and turned the fan on. It didn't come on. I have it a little shake just so see if I could hear any possible loose part rattle, and it suddenly started spinning. Turned the fan switch off. Turned it back on and the fan came right on again. Played with the connection, wiggled it, etc to see if it had any effect on the fan, and it didn't. Turned the switch off and on again a few more times, and the fan responded as it should. So I reassembled everything.

I had everthing put back together. Turned the ignition on and the turned the fan switch....nothing. It didn't come on. I reach under the dash, give the blower motor a little love tap, and instantly it comes on. I've found a pattern. If I leave the fan off for a few minutes, it won't come back on without some sort of little bump.

So it has to be the motor, right?

Edited by Little Mule

Might just need the blower motor serviced and the mechanism lubed up. My 93 got some water in it's blower motor from a clogged condensation drain on the AC. It stopped running properly so I pulled it all apart, cleaned and lubed everything and put it back in. Been working fine for 3 years since.

There's brushes in the motor, very similar to those in an alternator. Yours could be worn out, or just dirty and stuck. Follow GrimGreg's suggestion and clean it out, before you go ahead and replace.