Pathfinder Common Problems/Fixes, Read this first!

88pathoffroad

Yes, that's exactly what it sounds like and acts like. Replacement exhaust manifolds (if needed) cost about $300 each and it costs a lot to get the studs changed at a mechanic's...they're real hard to get to on a stock Pathy, especially if any are broken.

i thought that if it keeps pace with motor its the valves and when its hot they swell stopping some ticking but as soon as u accellerate the tick returns

WD21 Rocker Panel Rust

Cut out the rust on the rocker panels on my 2dr wd21 today and saw something interesting that i thought i should share.
22122012297_zps234da11b.jpg?t=1361858056

That is in the rocker panel and just behind the front door. This is on the drivers side (RHD vehicle). It looked like a sunroof pisser to me so after checking my sunroof i found something else interesting (No pictures sorry). From what i could see there are two pissers on the sun roof, one on the drivers side and one on the passengers. The drivers side pisser was full of dirt and clogged up whilst the passengers wasnt. My theory on this (being that the hose i saw is the sunroof pisser) Is that when dirt gets in, it travels down the pisser and into the body and clogs up the small body drain holes. From there the moisture can build up and there you go a rusty panel.

Fix:

Cleaning the sunroof channels and maybe some compressed air to the pisser then some fish oil?

Edited by Leo94
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

http://blogs.automotive.com/strut-housing-corrosion-leads-to-nissan-pathfinder-infinite-qx4-recalls-12344.html#ixzz1p2B7OpGA

Has anyone looked into this. I have already replaced my struts once, and they already need to be replaced again. I have alot of problems with my steering column as well. Just last night I had to get towed back home, because my wheel locked up, and it started smoking under the hood. One of my pullies locked up, and im pretty sure I lost a belt somewhere. Has anyone had similar issues, or called the number given in the link and tried getting Nissan to replace the struts?

WD21 Rocker Panel Rust

Cut out the rust on the rocker panels on my 2dr wd21 today and saw something interesting that i thought i should share.

22122012297_zps13436712.jpg

That is in the rocker panel and just behind the front door. This is on the drivers side (RHD vehicle). It looked like a sunroof pisser to me so after checking my sunroof i found something else interesting (No pictures sorry). From what i could see there are two pissers on the sun roof, one on the drivers side and one on the passengers. The drivers side pisser was full of dirt and clogged up whilst the passengers wasnt. My theory on this (being that the hose i saw is the sunroof pisser) Is that when dirt gets in, it travels down the pisser and into the body and clogs up the small body drain holes. From there the moisture can build up and there you go a rusty panel.

Fix:

Cleaning the sunroof channels and maybe some compressed air to the pisser then some fish oil?

i found this out on my 92 pathfinder i think those are the reason the rear part of the rockers and the front rott out. I think it drains there and pools water. I had a rusted hole and extended mine to drain outside the rockers and patched the hole and t he rust stopped!!

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone or anyone. My 94 pathfinder has a factory alarm well it went off and I don't own the key alarm remote it was lost. So I used the key to enter the passenger door and turned the switch to off and then went to start my truck and it wouldn't even turn over just dash lights and that's it.

If anyone knows what I need to do to get it to start please let me know

My understanding is that the factory alarm doesn't have an ignition kill function. I've started and run my truck with the alarm brain unplugged. (I don't know if this is normal, but I haven't found much hacked wiring that would indicate modification to the alarm system.) I don't know the alarm well enough to rule it out completely, but if messing with it (you might try turning the switch back on, just to see) doesn't get the truck running, take a look at the park/neutral interlock relay (if you've got the auto trans) or the clutch interlock (manual). You might also check the battery terminals, I've seen a couple rigs where the lights would come on but the corroded terminals couldn't pass enough power to get the starter going. Clean and tighten usually does the trick with those. Maybe a faulty connection interrupted power and confused the alarm. :shrug:

• 1 month later...

I have a weird issue I am looking for help with, My pathfinder was showing typical Oxygen sensor issues, hesitation on acceleration, runs fine when it warms up, ECU threw trouble code 33, so I just replaced the sensor simple enough right? WRONG now when I hit the gas pedal the check engine light comes on, it only does this when gas pedal is depressed as soon as you let off the gas the light turns off. The motor runs fine, and I went through the diagnostics procedure for checking the TPS, and starter etc. all except for the speed sensor because I just havent unbolted the ecu to watch it while I am driving, Any ideas what could be causing this? Im tempted to say its a crossed wire, however I do not know enough about pathys yet to figure it out. It runs and drives fine (there might be an exghaust stud broken cause it ticks until its warm, I'll have to check that) but the problem is more one of annoyance that there is a light on my dash that flashes on and off. Any help would be appreciated

I have a weird issue I am looking for help with, My pathfinder was showing typical Oxygen sensor issues, hesitation on acceleration, runs fine when it warms up, ECU threw trouble code 33, so I just replaced the sensor simple enough right? WRONG now when I hit the gas pedal the check engine light comes on, it only does this when gas pedal is depressed as soon as you let off the gas the light turns off. The motor runs fine, and I went through the diagnostics procedure for checking the TPS, and starter etc. all except for the speed sensor because I just havent unbolted the ecu to watch it while I am driving, Any ideas what could be causing this? Im tempted to say its a crossed wire, however I do not know enough about pathys yet to figure it out. It runs and drives fine (there might be an exghaust stud broken cause it ticks until its warm, I'll have to check that) but the problem is more one of annoyance that there is a light on my dash that flashes on and off. Any help would be appreciated

Forget I said anything, check engine light doesn't come on now, and it runs perfectly

• 1 month later...

Wow the nail was really hit o the head with this helpful set of problems and solutions to them ....I have almost had every one of these things go wrong...the most scary was when my floorboard caught fire due to the hole under gas pedal LOL put it out with a 44oz pepsi :lol: thank god i had it in the truck at the time...the hole is actually still therei put a flat rock over it and layed the carpet back down LOL hope to fix soon maybe ill post a pick of my redneck fix {I am from West Virginia ya know}

Thanks for the very informative post....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So posted this on another thread before reading this one and just bought an 01 and while it hasn't gotten a death wobble yet, I hear a distinct clunking sound every time I let off the clutch and step on the gas with any urgency. It also happens over bumps too. I have looked at the bushings and they definitely look worn. The thing is though, I still have access to my old 97 that was in an accident recently, but the trailing arms are all okay and it appears that it's bushings were replaced at some point.

The real question is, how hard it is to swap the trailing arms from one vehicle to another? Everyone has mentioned it is difficult getting the old bushings out, but if I am swapping the whole arm that should be easier, right?

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Could anybody enlighten me as to how to get the cigarette lighter holder out of the dash so as to connect the plug onto the rear of it that seems to have come loose. (1993 SE-V6 4WD) Thanks!

It also depends on your radio surround too if it gets in the way but you will need to remove your ash tray. There are 4 screws thst need to be removed. 2 under the top of the trim and two below the bottom trim. Be careful as the plastic vent trims becomes brittle with age when removing the trim outwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi. My name is Dane Cooper I drive a 1988 Pathfinder 4x4 XE 3.0L V6. My entire front end suspension needs to be rebuilt and I have searched everywhere for suspension lift kits and parts and I have had no luck does anyone know where I can find these things?

• 1 month later...

I have a 1993 RE401A A/T 4x4. Reverse, 1st and 2nd gear works great. Will not take off while in "D" but after getting up to speed I can shift it fro 2 to D and third gear works and it will shift into OF until it reaches an incline then it must be shifted back to 2. Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I am looking at picking up a used first gen pathfinder. I don't care much for the look of the second gen and can't afford a third gen. Right now I have a 95 Ram 1500 I am trying to get rid of. It's a blast when you want to haul stuff or run someone off the road but it sucks on trails and doesn't fit in a lot of places. Anyone have any special pointers on what I should look for and/or check as I go car shopping?