where to install ARB air compressor?

alexrex20

I'd pull that whole panel off and see what's behind it. You might find some supports that you can attach a mounting plate to. Does the 2000 have a recessed area in te floor of the way back? (Under the carpet) You might be able to mount it their. How about outside the truck, like u inside the fenderwells (Behind all the plastic) or maybe behind the rear tires, under the fenders....

Just my 2cents.....BTW nice compressor....did you get the air locker with it?

I eventually intend on putting a compressor behind that rear quarter interior panel. Very easy to pull all that stuff out and there is a lot of room behind it (though not a lot to attach to). I intend on cutting out the stock cubby space just leaving enough material so the stock panel can go back on.

But like I said, very easy to get to, the panels and flooring all come out quite easily.

Did you get the compressor to operate an air locker or for some other purpose? If you got it for an air-locker, do keep in mind that the wiring harness ARB supplies with the air-locker isn't long enough to reach the back of the truck unless you cut it and splice in your own wires. Take into account how and where you'll run the ARB air line from the compressor to the diff as well. Also, be aware that when the air locker disengages, a trace amount of gear oil sometimes sprays out of the solenoid. As you may know, gear oil isn't the most pleasant odor to smell inside the cab.

Heat generally won't be an issue if you only use the compressor to operate the air-locker.

BTW, you don't need to pull up all the carpet to run wires back to the cargo area. You only need to pull up the door sill plates, the driver's kick panel, and the rear left cargo panel. The carpet pretty much stays put. There's a convenient plastic channel right at the edge of the carpet through which you can run wires to the rear, where you just route them over the rear fender and behind the left rear cargo panel.

Edited by XPLORx4

I put my mv-50 compressor in the back compartment. The panels are pretty easy to pop off. I cut most of the plastic out from the inside of the compartment then ran 2 pieces of 1" angle iron across from the rear fender sheetmetal to the back by the taillight. I also have a drain plug or something at the bottom of the fender. I used this to run a larger power cable and my air lines. Ill post pics if I can

Here is were I put mine:

IMG_2106Small.jpg

It was a tight fit, but in the end it worked out really well. I used a piece of hose to relocate the filter element for better access. I'll try to find a better picture.

i just looked and that's where my ABS is located. DAMN!

Yep, no ABS on mine. No airbags either. I always wondered if that was normal for a '98 SE. I thought ABS brakes and airbags would be standard equipment, even back then.

here's where I put mine. The block of wood and zipties holding the manifold was supposed to be temporary but that was over a month ago. If you do bolt it to any steel make sure you use rubber isolators to reduce the noise

20080625007yx5.jpg

20080625005ng6.jpg

20080625066ud8.jpg

20080625007yx5.jpg

Nice, stealth installation. Is it loud inside the cabin when running?

I hope you ran some heavy-gauge wire to that compressor. It draws a lot of current!

With that installation, I would keep an eye on:

1) the ARB air line, where it comes close (or in contact with) the compressor head.

2) heat build-up on the head, since when the cargo door is attached, there's little ventilation.

3) traces of gear oil spraying out the solenoid.

What is that small tank attached in front of the spare tire mount?

Thanks

good point on my locker line. maybe I will put some of that protective wire wrap or something on there until I install all those valves properly.

The tank underneath is a 1/2 gallon viair tank so my compressor doesn't run every time i engage the locker. It takes 25 seconds to fill up to 105psi which gives me 10 or so locker engagements before compressor kicks in at 85 psi. It then takes 10 seconds to go from 85 to 105. In this scenario I do not think heat would be a problem.

If I am filling tires the access panel would be removed so there would be better ventilation in there.

I experienced my first gear oil burp on Saturday. I had just drove 20 miles down the highway then pulled off onto the trail head, stopped, and engaged my locker to charge up tank(locker and compressor are wired together) and when I disengaged the locker I could hear the oil coming out :( so I stuck a rag under it.

Is that bad for the solenoid?

I have two 12 gauge 3-wire cables run under the truck one for my compressor and one for my roof lights both fused.

oh ya it is really loud! Better since I added rubber isolators to where I bolted compressor and sound insulation where I could put it. But still really loud.

The MV-50 is the harley of electric compressors though

Edited by keelhaul

So, I'm trying to understand how you've got your system set up.

You've got the compressor, which then feeds the 1/2-gal air tank, which is then connected to your manifold. It looks like you have a pressure switch (big grey box?) on the manifold, and a regulator for the locker. Is that right?

Regarding the gear oil discharge, a simple and mess-free remedy for this is to remove the fine screen mesh plug on the solenoid to expose the threaded hole. Cut about 1/2" off the plastic pick-up straw from an empty spray cleaner bottle (degreaser, window cleaner, etc.). The O.D. of the pick-up straw is the same as the I.D. of the threaded hole in the solenoid. Screw the straw into the threaded hole. Use gentle pressure with pliers if necessary. The straw will self-tap.

Then, attach a length of clear plastic aquarium tubing to the plastic straw sticking out of the solenoid, and secure it with a zip tie. Route the clear tubing to a convenient location where any discharge will exit the cabin.

Here's my set-up:

oba.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

exactly!! I don't really need the regulator because the pressure switch kicks out at 105 but i hooked it up anyway as a backup so I don't blow my locker seal.

I am going to find a straw asap thanks for the tip. I opened up the cover and it stinks like gear oil. (one of the worst smells IMO)

Nice install! Looks like you need to replace your brake fluid, though!

For the switch backlight, you should connect it to a circuit that goes hot when you turn on the lights. I tapped into the wiring that lights up the hazard and defrost switches, but you could use any wire that's live when you turn the parking lights on.