distributor cap and roter

Bobby

I ended up having to use Vice-Grips and a hacksaw to get my rotor off last time. They sure do get stuck on there sometimes...

yeah they really do.

not really sure, but i think the pin that keeps the gear in the right spot on the shaft broke. I think that is because i was trying to turn the rotor to get it off and it broke.

I ended up having to use Vice-Grips and a hacksaw to get my rotor off last time. They sure do get stuck on there sometimes...

Damn, I saw this mentioned in the PoHo thread and answered there, but I guess it wasn't seen. NEXT time, just heat it up with a torch. Don't melt it, (the pot metal goes quick) soft is good, then it pulls off just fine. I had to do this a few months ago... Sorry I was too late to save grief.

Prying and hacking are bad and unnecessary!

B

Damn, I saw this mentioned in the PoHo thread and answered there, but I guess it wasn't seen. NEXT time, just heat it up with a torch. Don't melt it, (the pot metal goes quick) soft is good, then it pulls off just fine. I had to do this a few months ago... Sorry I was too late to save grief.

Prying and hacking are bad and unnecessary!

B

yeah i know

and i could of got a torch from work oh well life goes on

Buy a torch end, but not the cheapest!! You'll have problems with shut off and flame regulation if you do. Still for $20-30 you have it and a canister sitting and waiting for you in the garage. It will pay for it's self in time and frustration quickly.

Besides, with it, you can:

1) fugger with the neighbors car

2) melt the crazy glue in your car locks

3) burn ants

4) light the crack pipe

5) remelt tar to seal a leaky roof

6) burn down the house

7) burn bushings out

The list is endless... ;)

B

Buy a torch end, but not the cheapest!! You'll have problems with shut off and flame regulation if you do. Still for $20-30 you have it and a canister sitting and waiting for you in the garage. It will pay for it's self in time and frustration quickly.

3) burn ants

4) light the crack pipe

6) burn down the house

7) burn bushings out

B

lol i love the list

but thanks for the advise

3) burn ants

4) light the crack pipe

6) burn down the house

7) burn bushings out

B

Don't forget 8) Superpunk; light fireworks on 4th of July. They don't even need fuses...

• 3 weeks later...

so after messing with it and getting the timing right i now have a miss in the engine and dont know why. I changed all the wires and yes they are in the right order. I pull wire by wire to see witch cylinder is not firing but i cant seem to tell by the sound. I need some real help on this one.

hookup a timing light to each plug and see if any are not firing. if all are firing, let the engine cool then pull the coil wire and crank it for a bit. Then pull each plug and see which is dry (failed injector). that's the route I'd take

hookup a timing light to each plug and see if any are not firing. if all are firing, let the engine cool then pull the coil wire and crank it for a bit. Then pull each plug and see which is dry (failed injector). that's the route I'd take

okay thanks Dag and I will try that tomrrow

Good, I'm glad! So the old Dizzy wasn't firing right or messing up the timing?

B

Yeah, the cam angle sensor was bad plus the bearing in the distributor was going out so I got a new one.

Happy days Happy days

One bit of future advice. I would recommend tapping of the rotor lightly with a hammer. It is better than pulling it up harshly. Also, if you pry on the rotor with the edge of the distributor as your prybase, you will break the distributor. Our distributors work like a mouse wheel. It has little holes in it as reference signal points. If you mess up the spacing of those holes, it will not work. The circuit board and whatnot inside of there is very easy to break. I would bet that if you were to take that old distributor apart, you will see some cracks inside.

It is better to pound down to break torque on it because of the way the shaft sits in the bearings and mount. It will help absorb and brace some of that force. Pulling up will tweak the bearings. I am not talking about going at it with a 10 pound sledge or anything, just a few stern taps. It *should* help release it.

Anyone else experience that?

indigent.