Home Remodeling

GrimGreg

I never did post my bathroom pics, sorry. I'll have to dig those up and put them up. Here are some of the latest kitchen upgrades, new back splash, sink and faucets. First pic with old sink/faucet.

481327_586322271395994_1899484333_n.jpg

New faucet/sink

576881_590022454359309_985419119_n.jpg

The backsplash took about 3 hours to install, and another hour to grout. It took me 3 days and 4 trips to the hardware store to get the sink done properly.

Looks good! What material is it?

Hey B, I put down black plastic and sand first. The terrain here is very rocky and I had to dig out a bunch of large rock(one was about the size of two basketballs). I had some extra material laying around to bring my height up properly. Laid my plastic the a sand base. I know it would be nice to have a small rock base under it all, but i didn't want to spend any money and it won't really see a lot of traffic.

No need for a rock base, the plastic keeps the sand from migrating and it should stal level unless the ground gets swampy.

Here is the finished product...

IMG_0061_zps15ae53cd.jpg

I was able to get a masonry blade for $10 on clearance at Lowes. Made quick work of the ones that needed trimming. Held the sides in with some pressure treated 1x4 and some stakes. Filled with sand and she's happy. Got two more tree surrounds finished also. Only 7 to go.

Looks good, but no front border as well? Hopefully they don't shift...

B

I recently re-did our family room in our house. Basically, there was an old wood burning fireplace, and brick mantle that looked like crap, as well as flooring that was in desperate need of replacement.

I don't have any before pictures, but here's some in progress, and others showing the finished product. I ended up just walling off the fireplace, as we have no use for one at this time. If I want to install a gas fireplace later on, I'll be able to easily cut out the section of wall I made. I ran some wiring for my TV and AV equipment, as well as ran an ABS conduit in the wall so all the wires would be hidden. It makes snaking cables really easy.

Anyways, on to some pics.

After removing carpet and the mantle. Note the residue from the rubber underpad stuck to the floor. Took hours to scrape it off.

IMG_20121126_114102_zpsc05d87aa.jpg

New framing showing new outlets as well as cable wire behind the wall. I also ran speaker wire for my surround speakers under the floor

IMG_20121201_122759_zpsfc16f365.jpg

Drywalled and mudded. You can see a network cable, speaker wires, and cable wire coming out of the wall.

IMG_20121202_194404_zps099251f7.jpg

Hardwood flooring going in. Took me about a day and a half all told for flooring.

IMG_20121209_101235_zps4b89dced.jpg

Finished flooring with trim in the hallway, going into the family room

IMG_20121214_161529_zps835219e3.jpg

TV hung, and furniture in place on new wall

IMG_20121215_141228_zps9b963625.jpg

As the room stands currently, with all the boy's stuff in there.

IMG_20121216_155035_zpsb4b9f532.jpg

Very nice Simon. When you did your electrical did you get an electrician to inspect it?? I will be doing some work this summer and was just wondering. I plan on running a new circuit to power the built in carport that is me room. Need to also install about 2 or 3 new sockets.

James

I didn't have an electrician inspect it, however, I did get a full lesson on running circuits from a friend who is an electrician. He did my service upgrade (100a to 200a service) and secondary panel in my garage, as well as a bunch of outlets and lights in the garage. I assisted him on the job so I was confident when it came time to run the new wiring. I ran it right back to the panel, on a separate circuit, with a separate breaker, so there's very little to go wrong.

Didn't know granite sinks were readily available. Was it extremely heavy or require counter reinforcement?

Ok, I had to share this as it seems appropriate here. http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/146566-Build-to-Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even.....

The pictures you want to see are on pages 1,5,7,10,11 and 17. It is worth it, trust me!

B

• Like 2

:lmao: I feel so much better about EVERY project I've ever done. Even the cheapest, quickest, thrown together crap....beats this hands down!

Didn't know granite sinks were readily available. Was it extremely heavy or require counter reinforcement?

Ok, I had to share this as it seems appropriate here. http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/146566-Build-to-Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even.....

The pictures you want to see are on pages 1,5,7,10,11 and 17. It is worth it, trust me!

B

BAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHA!!! EPIC FAIL! I am dying here at work looking at this!

• 3 months later...

Ok , so it's not a remodel. Just another project. Decided to build my boys a custom playground area. Removed the sod first a few weekends ago...

IMG_2629_zpse1cfe24f.jpg

Saturday dug holes, concreted posts, dug holes..

IMG_9401_zpsa93ad4ba.jpg

Finished product, well mostly. Still working on the concrete cave. That didn't work out as well as I hade hoped.

IMG_7760_zps079967c2.jpg

That looks really good! And like a lot of work! :blink:

I'm jealous of that huge back yard as well. No garden to share? :scratchhead:

Sorry, I completely forgot about asking my friend about his rock-shed. If it would still be of use, I will call him tonight (wrote myself a note).

B