Up and down idle problem

Red87Path

Hi all, new member Trav here. I have an 87 pathfinder with the z24i engine in it, has 197k miles on it, drives great. My problem is it wont idle steady, revs up and down, wich is making it impossible to set the timing wich im sure is off by the way it hesitates and misfires. any advice would be helpful. Im just itching to take this thing out in the Arizona desert and play.

Sounds like you make have a vacuum leak somewhere. I would start by spraying some carb/choke spray around mating surfaces and rubber hoses. If nothing pops up, I would check for any codes set in the ECU(under your passenger seat-see how to's on how to check codes). There are a couple of different things that it may be.

Sounds like you make have a vacuum leak somewhere. I would start by spraying some carb/choke spray around mating surfaces and rubber hoses. If nothing pops up, I would check for any codes set in the ECU(under your passenger seat-see how to's on how to check codes). There are a couple of different things that it may be.

Already checked for vacuum leaks, none apparent. been looking for the exact diagram for my engine since the sticker is no longer under the hood. also wanted to check the ecu but no check enging light on dash, previous owner took dash apart for some strange reason. when i bought it the interior had all been removed was piled in the back. the guy was in the process of restoring it when his son lost interest. lucky for me though because this truck is in prettty good shape. other than the idle problem.

There still may be code stored even though the light is not on. I would check for codes and then continue. You say it was being restored? Was the engine gone through? Maybe there are some vacuum lines misrouted, or something plugged in, in the wrong spot.

the light may be dead.

the vacuum leak may not be apparent thus the suggestion of spraying mating surfaces blah, blah, blah.

and yup, it could be all sorts of things. if you fiddle with the timing it may jump into the right spot but i surely would check all the other stuff first because timing hardly ever goes out. actuall, i don't think any of my cars, ever went out of time. EVER, NONE.

the light may be dead.

the vacuum leak may not be apparent thus the suggestion of spraying mating surfaces blah, blah, blah.

and yup, it could be all sorts of things. if you fiddle with the timing it may jump into the right spot but i surely would check all the other stuff first because timing hardly ever goes out. actuall, i don't think any of my cars, ever went out of time. EVER, NONE.

So, i unplugged the o2 sensor, the idle smoothed out. so i replaced the o2 sensor, now it starts and runs for about a minute then dies. and i finally found the vacuum diagram for this engine. going to check through all the hoses this morning and see if that changes anything.

So, i unplugged the o2 sensor, the idle smoothed out. so i replaced the o2 sensor, now it starts and runs for about a minute then dies. and i finally found the vacuum diagram for this engine. going to check through all the hoses this morning and see if that changes anything.

well, i hooked all the vacuum hoses up according to diagram, im getting spark, getting gas. but no start. could a vacuum hose hooked up to the wrong place prevent it from starting? i can get it to start but only by tapping the gas it will run real choppy. i was wondering if when i unplugged the o2 sensor if it could have ran rich and fouled the plugs up or not?

(repeatedly banging head on radiator)

• 2 weeks later...
the light may be dead.

so the most ive come up with is maf sensor, anyone know how to test it? or am i gonna need to shell out 160$ for a new one i might not need?

so the most ive come up with is maf sensor, anyone know how to test it? or am i gonna need to shell out 160$ for a new one i might not need?

first off, you can remove the MAF and clean it gently with alcohol........ then replace. when you get the truck started, wiggle the wire that goes to the MAF...... they have a tendency to get squished under the hood and cause issues.

first off, you can remove the MAF and clean it gently with alcohol........ then replace. when you get the truck started, wiggle the wire that goes to the MAF...... they have a tendency to get squished under the hood and cause issues.

already cleaned it, the sensor is underneath the air cleaner on the side of the throttle body. i thought of doing the wiggle test but the issue is not at idle, it is when it is driving. it is idling pretty good.

I have an 87 pathfinder with the z24i engine in it,

I had a 84 PU with the Z24 motor and had that problem off and on for a while. Do the exhaust plugs have spark?

I would start by spraying some carb/choke spray around mating surfaces and rubber hoses.

I prefer WD-40, but same idea. Have you done this? Any vacuum leak that goes to the intake will cause the idle to

increase. It's a most effective way to check. I don't trust visual inspections; it's too easy to miss a tiny crack.

B

I had a 84 PU with the Z24 motor and had that problem off and on for a while. Do the exhaust plugs have spark?

I prefer WD-40, but same idea. Have you done this? Any vacuum leak that goes to the intake will cause the idle to

increase. It's a most effective way to check. I don't trust visual inspections; it's too easy to miss a tiny crack.

B

yea i sparayed all the vacuum hoses as well as around the intake manifold and bottom of the throttle body, everything. and really the main problem im having with it right now is worse than the idle problem, the only way to get it to accelerate is to pump the gas pedal up and down. if i just step on the gas it stumbles and jerks. the exhaust plugs are getting spark, although, the guy i bought it from put new wires and plugs in it, im not sure if he has the right coils hooked up to the right side. nor am i sure of the firing order, what i find in my haynes manual is diffrent from what i have found online. but it runs, and accelerates great if i pump the gas. new fuel pump, new fuel filter, rotor, cap, timing chain and gears, the guy who had it put a lot of money into it before i got it. i hope i can get this problem worked out before the end of the month, my temp tag runs out and i gotta get it through emissions.

ok also, a thermostat can cause an erratic idle. is yours stuck open?

im not sure, i know it takes forever to get warmed up in morning, afternoon not so much here in the AZ heat. but never gets above 1/4 of the gauge. ive been wondering if there is something wrong with the dashpot, ive never noticed it to move, it is always in same postion , hot or cold.

Had a thought (it's been years since I worked on a Z24 so bear with me...). I believe you have a vacuum advance distributor (I did). Make sure the line is hooked up and not cracked. Check vacuum at the distributor end of the line. Does the truck run any different with the line on or off? Hook up the line the the distributor and apply vaccum (yeah, suck it!!) Does it hold a vacuum (checking the diaphram)? I think you get what I mean... If you are not getting timing advance upon acceleration, it may stumble like you are experiencing...

B

Had a thought (it's been years since I worked on a Z24 so bear with me...). I believe you have a vacuum advance distributor (I did). Make sure the line is hooked up and not cracked. Check vacuum at the distributor end of the line. Does the truck run any different with the line on or off? Hook up the line the the distributor and apply vaccum (yeah, suck it!!) Does it hold a vacuum (checking the diaphram)? I think you get what I mean... If you are not getting timing advance upon acceleration, it may stumble like you are experiencing...

B

mine has electronic distributor, no vacuum. thats kinda what it seems like is the timing is off, but it isnt. although im still unsure if the setting i got of internet is correct. 10 degrees btdc.

sammy, mine has a chain, it is the 4 cylinder. and it has a new timing chain , guy i bought it from put it in. ive only had it a month. its got all kinds of new, new injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and wires, cap and rotor, radiator is new, all new vacuum lines, new catylitic converter. i think i need to find a wiring diagram for this engine and make sure all the wiring is correct. there are a few hacked and spliced wires. im thinking this moter was not the original.

mine has electronic distributor, no vacuum. thats kinda what it seems like is the timing is off, but it isnt. although im still unsure if the setting i got of internet is correct. 10 degrees btdc.

Well, double check that... Damn, I thought I may have narrowed it down. I'll keep noodling it...

B

I believe the timing for VG30I engines is 12 degrees btdc. For VG30E, it's 15 degress btdc.

2 degrees shouldn't make much of a difference though, at least not at idle.

check your egr system. I am having similar problems with mine (erratic idling, poor acceleration, stalling on de-acceleration). I spent about $8 and replaced all the small vacuum hoses with new ones and it made it seem to run better. I must have done something right because my check engine came on when i took it for a test drive (i knew there was something wrong with it, but the ecu didn't think so. I got a code 32 (EGR System malfunction)

Edited by skrillaguerilla

• 3 weeks later...

latest on this problem, the idle is good finally, i got a really detailed vacuum diagram from nissannuts page, checked and replaced a couple vacuum hoses, my idle is good now. now if i could just get it to accelerate like its supposed to without pumpiing the gas pedal like a madman. anyone ever have this happen? when ya step on the gas it just falls on its face at sputters and jerks?

Check all and any diaphrams you may have in the vacuum system. A torn or frozen one could effect acceleration like you mentioned. You have checked the dizzy cap, so thats not it. Frankly, I'm running out of ideas. You may need to take it to a good mechanic just for troubleshooting.

B

yea, thats what im thinking, im gonna be pissed when i find out it was "just" some little thing. soon as i find a decent shop i can take it to in phoenix, besides a dealership im gonna take it in. soo looking forward to taking this thing off in the dirt soon.

Sorry we weren't more help. It's maybe one of those 'if I was there' fiddle with it things, but yeah, don't feel bad, I've had to take cars in occasionally because I couldn't figure it out without randomly throwing $ at the problem. Good luck, and please remember to post what the problem/solution was. It may save someone else some headache.

B

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry we weren't more help. It's maybe one of those 'if I was there' fiddle with it things, but yeah, don't feel bad, I've had to take cars in occasionally because I couldn't figure it out without randomly throwing $ at the problem. Good luck, and please remember to post what the problem/solution was. It may save someone else some headache.

B

well heres the update so far, took it to pitstop performance here in phoenix. guy worked on it all day and narrowed it down to a wiring problem. either a short in the wiring for the crank angle sensor or throttle position sensors wiring. so i got a troubleshooting chart from alldata and going to try and track it down. anyone who has a z24i i could really use some info, on my throttle sensor there are two plugs to it, one is a pigtail coming off the sensor itself, the other plugs in to it, well this one that plugs into it has been damaged, it has slots for three wires, there are only two, a red and a green, im not sure they are in the right terminals. green on bottom red in middle top one empty. is this correct?