Do I have an LSD

RowdoggNZ

If it has a little sticker it probably has it, run the vin number to see original equipment, do a burnout on some gravel and see if you have 1(open) or 2(LSD) ruts.

there is a orange sticker at the top of the diff

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess I should explain...

Being used to full size axles, and using different methods of traction gaining devices from high dollar (ARB, Detroit) to low end (Welding up the spiders!) I had to ask...

I know that the CV axles probably could not handle the excess force that would be exerted, but that is fixed by using the breakable warn hub internals...designed to fail before the axle does...

Just looking at different IFS options...

• 1 year later...

Look at the bright side.......LOCKER :jig:

Hey there TerranoNZ. Lokka for the rear diff.

Could you piont me in the right direction where to get one of these, please. I have a Z24 petrol Pathfinder, open diff, H233b as far as i can tell. Don't know if it 2 or 4 spider gears, or 27/31/33 spline.

I have heard it'd the same as the front of a Partol, but don't know what model/year.

Do you know what model lokka fits, or of anyone who has one fitted?

I've been searching all over, and not had a straight answer.

Thanks mate

LS

• 2 months later...

I was thinking of doing a straight axle swap to get my rear lsd. There is an infiniti Qx4 sitting in a junkyard about 5 min from my house. i've been taking stuff off of it like roof racks and struts (well at least part of the struts). The Qx4 is like the LE Pathfinder, if i'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Verify if I'm right. Doesn't the infiniti Qx4 have LSD in the rear? My Pathy is a 1999.5 and the Qx4 is almost beyond recognition. (probably 2000, 2001)I'm pretty sure It has the same body style as mine.

• 7 months later...

well i own a 1995 xe and believe it or not i jacked up rear end and spun wheel they both turned so thats a big yes I have a limited slip differential,Then the crappy 2 ton floor jack I was useing bent under the weight. I know two tons is 2000lbs and the pathy is at least 3500lbs. but all i had at the time and i had to know.no harm no foul and i know better than to be underneath a vehicle with out jack stands.

• Like 1

just because both wheels turned... does not neccesarily mean it has lsd... :( one of my other trucks (have had three) both wheels turned. but it did not have lsd. and the other, one tire spun and the other did not.

• 8 months later...

Hey, if you have the lsd sticker, but its dry, could that just be the problem? I dont hear anything. We did jack it up, and it the other wheel spun in the opposite direction. But i swear that i have felt it at times. i have tried looking up this but i wasnt able to find anything :/ thanks so much for the help! :)

Ya. The whole area is dry outside of it, so thats why i am assuming that. I will try and crack it, but i have read how hard they are so i am not sure if i can :P but i will try!!

If it is dry, could that make it not work?? Im trying to be positive that it works and just needs fluid, but i have read as well, that if it does need fluid, it usually makes noise when it is low/dry.

Anything will make noise with low or no lube.

If you don't know the last time the diff fluid was changed, just change it. Many fluids already have LS additive in them already. If you live near Advance Auto Parts, you can get Mobil 1 75W-90 for cheap if you order online using discount codes (Google for them).

Edited by Towncivilian

Most people use a 1/2 ratchet/breaker bar, but the proper tool is a 13mm square drive socket. If you have a Harbor Frieght nearby you can pick this set up....

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-drain-plug-socket-set-94961.html

I'm not saying you need to spend the money, but if you think it may round out the drain plug you should pick that up

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just watched a vid on youtube where a guy used his e brake to help his LSD grab traction..... interesting!

They call those "Cutting Brakes", I believe. I've heard it works well.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...