VH45 Swap & SAS Update (Merged Threads)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

do i see one of our (derale) heat sink coolers up front on pass side of the radiator? just make sure u are not using that as your primary tranny cooler (if thats what it is) because it will not provide sufficient cooling. those are only used as secondary helper coolers

by the way that your truck is beast. i think that pic just motivated my to make mine into a full on pre runner. SAS, full cage, motor swap, tubular chassies and everything. gonna have to start lookin for another daily

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had an idea, would it be possible to take the whole front off like you did here, and then buy any engine, ranging from a lawn mower to a step below a semi truck, and build a cage on the front to hold it?

I know it would be a lot of work, but would it be possible?

• 4 weeks later...

wow. beastly siting. looks like those purpose built rock crawler stances. might as well weld up the rear doors and smooth out the rear fender wells to give it a clean look. TYLER!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!

Jose

• 1 year later...

Parted it out and scrapped the body according to his latest posts on Ronin. Sigh, I know the feeling... with mine in "mid build" its easy to get frustrated.... and the way the spousal unit despises it.... scrap yard might bring some peace.... but I refuse!!! NOO!!! Anyway, good build thread to follow, I learned a bunch.

The engine/tranny/tcase adapter are behind my house under a tarp.... It is going in my buggy project down the road..

I have done the same thing with a couple rigs throughout the years. Ya get about half way done and realize what you learned and what you want to change because of the learning process... it is easier to just start over. This is thinking like a fabricator... not a person who just wants to go wheel. A fabricator wheels to see if his contraption works well... then rips it apart again to make it better. Like said before.. it gets to a point where it is easier to just start over.

This is also why, for me, I say "buggy project"... This time all the parts will be here (at least 20-30K worth) before it gets started. There will not be any "good enough for now"...parts on the rig. Then it gets built correctly the first time... no half (_i_)..

Edited by GrandpaX

Yes, for those who do not know exactly what they are getting into... and why they would even want to...

I did not mean for it to sound like I regretted my decision. Simply put, with every project I under take I end up changing plans at some point to either "improve" or "fix" something along the way... I assume it is this way with anyone who is a DIY'er.

On another note as you have already made clear... if I had all of the parts either behind the shop, or readily available it would certainly be that much easier and cost effective...

• 7 years later...
On 5/18/2008 at 10:45 AM, tmorgan4 said:

Once the transmission was in, there were a good 2 or 3 months spent on getting it running right. I had a large vacuum leak and I kept cracking the lower runner for the #6 cylinder. Turns out a hose clamp on the IAC valve was keeping the plenum from sitting flat, so when the bolt was torqued it would crack the runner. Vacuum leaks appear to be gone now.

I've got a huge oil leak from the oil pan. The entire underside of the car is covered in oil. It has a UV dye in it so people like to tell me it's antifreeze.

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

Haven't taken the time to install the other 3.5 to 3" coupler I waited 3 months for on the intake.

IMG_4301.jpg

How I ended up routing the upper radiator hose since this one is a little shorter than the stock radiator.

IMG_4314.jpg

How my interior looks:

IMG_4319.jpg