Rattling sound

When my truck is in DRIVE and I’m at a complete stop I hear a rattling sound coming from my dashboard. I hear this more when I turn the steering wheel left or right. Does anyone have any idea on what it can be?

When my truck is in DRIVE and I’m at a complete stop I hear a rattling sound coming from my dashboard. I hear this more when I turn the steering wheel left or right. Does anyone have any idea on what it can be?

Anyone have any ideas? Is it safe to keep driving my truck? I really need some imput here.

Thanks

Under the dashboard? Drop a coin in a defrost vent lately?

Probably just a loose heat shield. If the rattling goes away when you change the RPM (press both the gas and brake simultaneously), it's just a resonant vibration, and nothing to worry about.

I've got an annoying rattle in the dash somewhere, as well. I have yet to hunt it down.

Mine really rattles at certain speeds, and its obvious that its from my mud tires. It rattles when the tires make the most ruckus. If I had street tires, dash would likely be nice and quiet.

Under the dashboard? Drop a coin in a defrost vent lately?

Probably just a loose heat shield. If the rattling goes away when you change the RPM (press both the gas and brake simultaneously), it's just a resonant vibration, and nothing to worry about.

Hmmm maybe!

Press gas and brake while in drive or park? I only hear it when in drive and at a complete stop and the wheel is slightly turned either way. Sometimes without turning the wheel. Thanks at least I know I won't break down.

Hmmm maybe!

Press gas and brake while in drive or park? I only hear it when in drive and at a complete stop and the wheel is slightly turned either way. Sometimes without turning the wheel. Thanks at least I know I won't break down.

sounds like an exhaust rattle to me...if you can leave the vehicle in park and stick ur head under the truck and have someone push the gas pedal and see if you hear the rattle...mine was the exhaust shields on the downpipes

sounds like an exhaust rattle to me...if you can leave the vehicle in park and stick ur head under the truck and have someone push the gas pedal and see if you hear the rattle...mine was the exhaust shields on the downpipes

X2 that what mine was, it was the heat shield on the exhaust, right before the second O2 sensor and after the cat on the driver side and it would only do it in gear and around 2k rpm. And yes put it in gear/D and rev the engine and see if it does it then. If so have some one help you to figure out exactly where its coming from. Have them set the Park brake, put the tranny in D, step on the gas and brake at the same time and look underneath and see where its coming from. It prob best to have some one you trust help you with this though as your gonna be under it while its running and in gear.

Edited by csutke

X2 that what mine was, it was the heat shield on the exhaust, right before the second O2 sensor and after the cat on the driver side and it would only do it in gear and around 2k rpm. And yes put it in gear/D and rev the engine and see if it does it then. If so have some one help you to figure out exactly where its coming from. Have them set the Park brake, put the tranny in D, step on the gas and brake at the same time and look underneath and see where its coming from. It prob best to have some one you trust help you with this though as your gonna be under it while its running and in gear.

mine did while in neutral and being revved. You could always get under there and give the heat shields a bang with a screwdriver and youll probably here them rattle

mine did while in neutral and being revved. You could always get under there and give the heat shields a bang with a screwdriver and youll probably here them rattle

My 03 had the same problem but it was after I installed my skid plates. Had to have a "GOOD" friend press the brake and gas to track down the rattle. I ended up adding a washer for the correct spacing on the shield but it was an easy fix.

My 03 had the same problem but it was after I installed my skid plates. Had to have a "GOOD" friend press the brake and gas to track down the rattle. I ended up adding a washer for the correct spacing on the shield but it was an easy fix.

Mine were rusted through, Im still debating replacing them or not...

I was able to take the heat shields off on my xterra.... The way the skid plates sat the almost acted os half&ssed heat shields.

So its safe to say it won't cause me to break down.

So its safe to say it won't cause me to break down.

I could have removed my shields and most likely never had a problem. I just figured I would try the other way first.

The only real issue with removing heat shields is seeing how tiny the OEM pipes are! Lol, seems embarrassing that such a tough vehicle has pee-shooters for exhaust piping!

Oh, tore mine off!

Edited by 02silverpathy

• 3 weeks later...
The only real issue with removing heat shields is seeing how tiny the OEM pipes are! Lol, seems embarrassing that such a tough vehicle has pee-shooters for exhaust piping!

Oh, tore mine off!

I found where the rattling sound is coming from. It's coming from a Box (Black) right under the glove compartment. When I applied pressure to it the sound was gone. Does anyone one know what that box is (1997 LE)?

I found where the rattling sound is coming from. It's coming from a Box (Black) right under the glove compartment. When I applied pressure to it the sound was gone. Does anyone one know what that box is (1997 LE)?

Anyone? I've looked in the manual and can't find anything.

This sounds like your air condenser box...probably a pebble or small seed in there from squirrels running around over head...I found a "whirley bird" and a spiders nest in mine...go figure all that wind and still they found time to sneak in and build!!

Addind a dryer sheet to this box is also very helpful for removing smells!!

This sounds like your air condenser box...probably a pebble or small seed in there from squirrels running around over head...I found a "whirley bird" and a spiders nest in mine...go figure all that wind and still they found time to sneak in and build!!

Addind a dryer sheet to this box is also very helpful for removing smells!!

Thanks, Is this something easy to remove? If so is there anywhere on this site that I can find instructions?

• 4 months later...
Thanks, Is this something easy to remove? If so is there anywhere on this site that I can find instructions?

Is there anyone that can please tell me how to remove the box or where I can find instructions?

Thanks

Take the glove box down for easier access--but that part is preference.

A few screws and the box will spread open--just far enough to vaccuum out the debris, and maybe wipe inside just a little. If yours has a filter you can change it, but most don't have the cabin filter.

I added dryer sheets to my wifes Altima and they smelled wonder full for quite some time. I added these when I took her blower motor down--I just stuffed them in the black condenser box through the fan's access hole.

• 8 months later...

Is there anyone that can please tell me how to remove the box or where I can find instructions?

Thanks

Thanks

You can only really open the AC evaporator box.

To remove it you would have to disconnect it from your AC, letting your refrigerant go/ripping new sections in the atmosphere/introducing moisture & possibly dirt into your system, and taking the box out completely...then you can open it fully.

A strong shop vac and some patience will be the king of this exercise!

Also, check the area under the center console. My R50 has a gap and a 2-piece rubber trim piece that folds around the emergency brake. You'd be amazed how easily stuff drops in there - pennies, screws, pens (!), crumbs etc. You can pop up the hard plastic trim piece in front of the e-brake and also the trim piece around the gear shifter. (The large wood/plastic one, NOT the aluminum-colored shift gate itself.) A shop vac in there will do wonders.

I developed the heat shield problem after installing the AC skids. The clamp after the driver's side cat was causing an audible hum when driving. Solved it by using a pair of heavy-duty scissors to trim the shield around the clamp bolt and a pair of pliers to twist a small section up and away from everything else. Solved the problem.

Also, MJBBMANO, I highly recommend buying a Nissan shop manual. If nothing else, reading it will give you peace of mind. The more you know, the less you'll worry about things. You can get them online. Just google "Nissan Pathfinder service manual" and your year. Just make sure it's the original Nissan one and not a knockoff. I got a pdf version of mine for $20 online. It has paid for itself many many times over.