Beefing up the Power steering Pump

msavides

I read On AC forum something about helping improve the power steering system in our pathfinders. Basically it is replacing our Power steering pump with one from a 1988 hardbody or pathfinder. The reason is they have a removable restrictor valve that can be drilled out to provide more flow. In addition you have to modify the regulator with a couple of spacers to provide more flow. This mod is supose to make a huge improvement on the stock system. The reason this was don in the first place was to increase the flow and pressure in order to create a hydro-assist ram system. A few has said that is improves the stock system as well.

Has anybody done this? and if so is there any difference between a 1988 power steering pump pulley and a 1991 pulley? I just want to make sure that if I get a 1988 pump from the auto parts store that it will work with my 1991 pulley.

Thanks

Mark

google up some fluid dynamics and you can check out the philosophy for yourself...I'm @ work right now and have been running calcs all morning and don't feel like thinking about it right now...plus fluids isn't one of my strong points as far as memorizing equations so I'd need to look up some stuff but googling that should give you insight

typically if you increase your cross sectional area but dont increase your velocity your volumetric flowrate will decrease so I guess you could back out the fluid velocity from changes in pressure by modding the regulator (assume it regulates pressure)

just a thought

also remember if you increase the pressure you may experience leaks since the seals/hoses may not be designed for the pressure increase but I doubt thats the case but you may notice that leaks will develop in the steering gear box

Edited by unccpathfinder

I read On AC forum something about helping improve the power steering system in our pathfinders. Basically it is replacing our Power steering pump with one from a 1988 hardbody or pathfinder. The reason is they have a removable restrictor valve that can be drilled out to provide more flow. In addition you have to modify the regulator with a couple of spacers to provide more flow. This mod is supose to make a huge improvement on the stock system. The reason this was don in the first place was to increase the flow and pressure in order to create a hydro-assist ram system. A few has said that is improves the stock system as well.

Has anybody done this? and if so is there any difference between a 1988 power steering pump pulley and a 1991 pulley? I just want to make sure that if I get a 1988 pump from the auto parts store that it will work with my 1991 pulley.

Thanks

Mark

I have not personally done it but I think it will work as long as the pump came with a single v-belt pulley you should be able to mount in on the vg30e motor. Worst case scenario you may have to get a bracket from the 88 motor. I am just speculating here. As for the pressure and flow increase, If I were to do this on my truck I would get a rebuild kit for the steering box and change all the power steering line o-rings and compression rings (COPPER) after modifying the steering pump. I think I may try this mod also since I am having power assist problems with these 35 Inch tires.

Ummmm....why? stock power steering seems pretty easy to steer with ....practically use two fingers to turn the wheel....even with larger tires.

maybe eating more Wheaties or a gym membership will help with your power steering woes...... :)

Ummmm....why? stock power steering seems pretty easy to steer with ....practically use two fingers to turn the wheel....even with larger tires.

maybe eating more Wheaties or a gym membership will help with your power steering woes...... :)

Only reason I want to beef up the steering is I have a front locker. I don't care how buff you are: try turning or for that matter holding the steering straight with the front locker on and I only have 32's

Mark

Edited by msavides
  • Like 1

I have not personally done it but I think it will work as long as the pump came with a single v-belt pulley you should be able to mount in on the vg30e motor. Worst case scenario you may have to get a bracket from the 88 motor. I am just speculating here. As for the pressure and flow increase, If I were to do this on my truck I would get a rebuild kit for the steering box and change all the power steering line o-rings and compression rings (COPPER) after modifying the steering pump. I think I may try this mod also since I am having power assist problems with these 35 Inch tires.

It bolts up to the engine just fine. In the thread they said they got a junkyard power steering pump off an 88 hardbody. and bolted it right up. Since you do not get the pulley when you buy one from the auto parts store, the only reason I can see there being a difference is if the pully shaft diameter or spline count was different form an 88 to a 91. I guess I will find out.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

When you're in some offroading situations it would be a great help even if you don't have a front locker. Like when you're walking a wall with the drivers side and the passenger side is in a rut. Cranking as hard as I can on the steering wheel would have no effect, and the only thing you can do to turn is 10-15 little back-ups were the slight release in pressure will allow the wheel to turn about a quarter of a degree.

The main possible drawback I see is the increased pressure on the tierods. I've often wondered how much it would take to break the ball joint.

I think I am going to go with a hydro assist system. using the beefed up pump. I found out the pump mounts to the 91 pathfinders just fine and will work, however the pulley splined shaft is smaller. So I will have to get a pump and pulley from the junk yard. Then I will have to shell out the 3 bills for the hydro ram, and the 2 bills for the custom lines to run to the ram. I will have to pick up a steering box as well and drill it. I don't want my truck down during the prep work so I will just get one from the junkyard on Half price day.

I will document the procedure, when I do it.

Edited by msavides

Why not take the cheap way out and buy a steering wheel knob? It makes turning lock to lock a breeze and it only runs $15 or less.

Those are illegal up here :nono:

They might be illegal here too, but I've yet to have any complaints. We always had them on the farm tucks back home.

Not to mention down right dangerous. A real wrist breaker in the wrong conditions.

I understand how they could be dangerous on the road. They promote sharp turns, which isn't a good idea at traffic speed.

But if you keep your hands at 10-2 like they supposed to be and only use the ball for tight manuvers (ie: parking spaces) it does it's job well.

You'd have to bash the hell out of the wheels to get it to snap your wrist! Do you know someone who's done that?!!

Well, that's my .o2 anyhow. I said cheap, not perfect. ;)

You won't be able to run Hyro assist with IFS.

opening up a restrictor valve in the pump will not increase pressure, only flow.

If you increase pressure be prepared to replace your steering box after you snap the sector shaft.

I run 36 x 12.5 TSLs on beadlocks at 3 psi and i can still turn. (locked to)

go to the gym and build some muscles.

or are you sure your pump isn't on its way out?

You won't be able to run Hyro assist with IFS.

opening up a restrictor valve in the pump will not increase pressure, only flow.

If you increase pressure be prepared to replace your steering box after you snap the sector shaft.

I run 36 x 12.5 TSLs on beadlocks at 3 psi and i can still turn. (locked to)

go to the gym and build some muscles.

or are you sure your pump isn't on its way out?

I have just replaced the power steering pump. Twice, (original one was knocking and the first replacement one leaked)

I thought I saw an article somewhere that someone did a hydro assist on the stock IFS with the stock Box drilling and tapping. They installed the ram onto the centerlink, much like a steering stabilizer. I will have to look for that article again and confirm that it was on IFS and not sased.

Mark

No stock steering here. I have the calmini HD steering.

Actually the 94+ have the best pumps. I just put in parts of the 94 in my 93 and wow what a differrence.

93_94_outlet.JPG

I am going to bust the pressure next.

Actually the 94+ have the best pumps. I just put in parts of the 94 in my 93 and wow what a differrence.

93_94_outlet.JPG

I am going to bust the pressure next.

Keep me posted on your progress. Did you do the hydro assist mod with the stock front axle?

Mark

No assist. Its stock steering box with DOM style steering. Both my rigs have solid axles. I noticed a while ago my buddys 94 has much better steering than my 93 or 92. I found out that in 94 the flow increased. Not sure on pressure yet.

I have modified a flow valve. Just need to install and test. Also need to install the 94 valve in one of mine.

I ll do a complete writeup when done.

• 9 years later...

Did anyone find out what pressure the stock 94+ pumps put out? I am killing gm p-series pumps on my truck. The steering box seems to be up to the challenge of pushing around 35s on a SAS system. Would be great to know what the stock steering box needs out of the pump to not die.