Transmission Swap

Indigent

I recently picked up a second pathy on the cheap. It has a bad torque converter. Since my red one has a blown connecting rod bearing on the #6, I decided to take its tranny and put it into the newly acquired pathy. Everything has gone wonderfully so far. I have dropped both trannies, and have the replacement in place.

Here is the problem:

How do you get it mated up? I have tried for the past 2 days. I can't see the nub on the torque converter to get it into the hole on the flywheel. Anyone have any tranny install advice?

Thanks,

indigent.

Well, after much frustration I finally got it. I had tried taking the TC off of the tranny and bolting it to the flywheel, but then it was too hard to get onto the spline shaft. So I put the TC back on the tranny.

I ended up sticking a small screwdriver through one of the bolt holes in the flywheel into the TC to semi line it up. I was then able to wiggle the tranny into place after much frustration. Then the bolt holes were pretty much dead on. I just needed a slight bit of adjustment, then all was ok.

I know it seems like a stupid question, but I was just wondering what everyone else does; other than the obvious "just stick it up there and bolt it together" comments, of course.

I am going to be doing one more install at some point in the future, so It would be nice to hear everyone's tips/tricks.

Thanks,

Indigent.

It's easier if you have 2 people on the job. I bolted the torque converter to the flexplate first, then had someone turn the motor via the crank pulley bolt until the splines lined up. No matter how you do it, it's a pain in the arse.

Well that's 2:1 for TC to flexplate first. I hadn't really thought of turning the crank until it lined up the splines. I sure do wish there were an easier way!

Thanks for the tips guys.

indigent.