3rd member stuck?

keelhaul

I took my 02 into "the gear center", which is an arb authorized dealer and installer, to have my locker put in. It took them from 10am to 4pm to remove the 3rd member from the axle housing. They said it was stuck on there and that most of the studs got stripped in the process of removal. Does anyone have experience removing Nissan 3rd members? Is it that difficult? I'm not sure whether to be happy someone else is wrestling with it or mad that I didn't attempt it myself. I have pulled third members off other vehicles with no difficulty. The only thing I can think of is something is bent like the housing or the the 3rd member even though my pathy's been treated well and I haven't hit the diff or anything like that.

I took my 02 into "the gear center", which is an arb authorized dealer and installer, to have my locker put in. It took them from 10am to 4pm to remove the 3rd member from the axle housing. They said it was stuck on there and that most of the studs got stripped in the process of removal. Does anyone have experience removing Nissan 3rd members? Is it that difficult? I'm not sure whether to be happy someone else is wrestling with it or mad that I didn't attempt it myself. I have pulled third members off other vehicles with no difficulty. The only thing I can think of is something is bent like the housing or the the 3rd member even though my pathy's been treated well and I haven't hit the diff or anything like that.

Sounds kind of odd, but they should know what they're doing if it's a dedicated shop that does this kind of install every day. When I pulled one out of Pathfinder in the junkyard a couple of the nuts were seized onto the studs but it just backed the studs out of the housing. I don't really see how the studs would get stripped. If anything it seems like they'd break off. It took me about an hour to get it out of the rear housing but this was in a gravel lot with some basic tools and some sketchy situations.

Did they give you a hard time about the install or just commented that it was difficult?

They have been pretty good about it so far. They told me before I booked my truck in that they have never put an ARB in a Nissan before. I was quoted 4-6 hours labor whether it takes them longer or not since the manager felt they shouldn't charge people to learn new things. So with the 6 hours today and whatever it takes them tomorrow I guess I am glad we agreed on a set price.

I have the worst luck when it comes to somebody other than me working on my stuff. At first I thought I was just paranoid but it seems wherever I go I get the most careless guy in the shop working on my ride. The last time I paid for an oil change I asked them to check the diff oil, and what do I see when I start spying through the glass? The F%^$n tech pulling with all his might on a breaker bar on my diff plug IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. sigh

I don't care how long it takes them to do my locker as long as the gears are set up good and it doesn't leak air. The last time I set up gears they lasted 6 months

I switched out the 3rd member on my 03 R-50 to put the 4:66 gears in. The bolts all seemed to be a tad righter than I would expect but by spraying them with liquid wrench, or similar bolt lossener, it was not that big a deal. None of the bolts broke off but I am quite sure I exercised much more caution than a shop would do. I think they just tried to hurry the process along and that usually spells trouble.

I'm with RWC552. I did the swap alone in my driveway with basic hand tools. Like Tmorgan said, some of the studs just backed out, but never stripped. All in all, an amazingly strait forward task. I was marveling at the mass production efficiency of the design. I can't imagine how a shop that has a lift and all the right tools could take four hours, but hey, your not paying for it luckily :shrug:.

I can't imagine how a shop that has a lift and all the right tools could take four hours, but hey, your not paying for it luckily :shrug:.

Considering where he lives, perhaps rust/corrosion is the issue. Rust-welded nuts, bolts, and other fasteners make things much more difficult.

From what I understand they got all the nuts off a without problem. It was when they tried to slide the 3rd member out over the studs that it hung up and damaged the studs. Anyway today they said they are just about done. That is, if they don't have to machine the axles? In the instructions that came with the locker it said some axles are required to be machined. It didn't say which h233b's needed this just that some did. I hope mine don't or I am walking all weekend:(

From what I understand they got all the nuts off a without problem. It was when they tried to slide the 3rd member out over the studs that it hung up and damaged the studs. Anyway today they said they are just about done. That is, if they don't have to machine the axles? In the instructions that came with the locker it said some axles are required to be machined. It didn't say which h233b's needed this just that some did. I hope mine don't or I am walking all weekend:(

With regard to the 3rd member getting stuck, or being stuck, after removing the nuts, mine was a bitch to break free. Took a lot of tapping and careful creative use of a large screwdriver to get the dang thing loose to slide off. I saw nothing when removing mine that should have damaged the bolts in the process of removal, unless they got frustrated and just began pounding them with a small sledge hammer. I thought the lockers would come with the correct spline count for the axels. Should be a 33 spline if it is like mine. But, I only swapped out the 3rd member for a LSD with 4:66 gears so it was a straight plug and play application.

My locker is in and I am very impressed so far. I tested on a twisty hill that that has previously stopped me dead while in 4wd. I made it up in 2wd(locked) without spinning a wheel! I carried on down the trail through some sloppy mud, forded a couple mudholes and made it out the otherside for the first time. Thinking I was invincible I then proceeded to sink myself in the farmers field. Nearest tree...500ft, so much for the winch. As we waited the half hour for recovery, the mud I had sprayed all over froze solid, which made my door impossible to open from the outside. I also stepped out of my shoe in the mud and and ended up with 2 muddy soakers. What a blast!

Worst part... I forgot my camera.

It sounds like your problem was similar to mine RWC5S2 except apparently they used bottle jacks up and down to wiggle it. They were also considering putting a come-a-long on the pinion(they said they didn't). I haven't looked but I have at lease one grade 8 bolt in place of stud and nut. The gears seems to run quiet but I am losing air between the solenoid and the locker. I had it locked for 20 minutes and it didn't kick the compressor(0.5 gallon tank) in but it was close. I will have to soap test the fitting and I guess the fill plug? Anyone have experience with how well the air seals inside hold up.

oh ya rear brakes. hmm I should start new one I guess?