Steering Squeals

Zibi

So for the last month or so the steering on the drivers side has been making an awful squeal. I got it nice and muddy one day and took it to the car wash, and after that the noise started. After a few days it went away but within the last 2 weeks it's been doing it again. When it first happened I lifted it up to look at the suspension but the strut was fine and I admittedly didn't know what else to look for.

It squeals loudly whenever I turn the wheel. It sometimes squeals more quietly when I go over bumps (did some offroading today and listened to that the whole time instead of the radio). It's only on the drivers side.

Any idea what this could be? The common problem page lists a problem between the strut rod and rubber spacer, however this sounds more like it has to do with the steering.

1996 Pathfinder LE

211,000 KM with all it's regular services done. Suspension was all done at 160,000km by a dealer (previous owner).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Zibi

So for the last month or so the steering on the drivers side has been making an awful squeal. I got it nice and muddy one day and took it to the car wash, and after that the noise started. After a few days it went away but within the last 2 weeks it's been doing it again. When it first happened I lifted it up to look at the suspension but the strut was fine and I admittedly didn't know what else to look for.

It squeals loudly whenever I turn the wheel. It sometimes squeals more quietly when I go over bumps (did some offroading today and listened to that the whole time instead of the radio). It's only on the drivers side.

Any idea what this could be? The common problem page lists a problem between the strut rod and rubber spacer, however this sounds more like it has to do with the steering.

1996 Pathfinder LE

211,000 KM with all it's regular services done. Suspension was all done at 160,000km by a dealer (previous owner).

Thanks in advance.

Check power steering fluid, make sure it is not empty. Check power steering lines for leaks, also causes loss of fluid, check belt tension on all pulleys. A squeel like that is usually power steering. Will scream at full lock and also when just being used if fluid is too low.

Aye it was below the low line, hopefully thats just the problem. Didn't really think to check since I just had it serviced a little over a month ago.

Aye it was below the low line, hopefully thats just the problem. Didn't really think to check since I just had it serviced a little over a month ago.

Hope it is that simple. Be sure to check the lines while you have some one turn the wheels to look for leaking, etc.

I probably won't find out until sunday, as thats the only day I have off and the only time I'll be able to fit more than my front tires in the shop :)

Related question: My Haynes manual said that the power steering resevoir on all 96+ pathies, frontiers, and xs were on the passenger side, but mine is on the driver side (3.3L 4WD). Anything else about the power steering system different?

I probably won't find out until sunday, as thats the only day I have off and the only time I'll be able to fit more than my front tires in the shop :)

Related question: My Haynes manual said that the power steering resevoir on all 96+ pathies, frontiers, and xs were on the passenger side, but mine is on the driver side (3.3L 4WD). Anything else about the power steering system different?

Mine is on the right side. Have no idea on where yours might be. Any leaks are almost always on the pressure side and not the return side on the lines. The pressure side has the more robust couplings to handle the pressure. If there is a leak that bad you should see drips of power steering fluid or find the actual leak while turning the wheel back and forth.

And hey, it just might be mice. lol