gearbox removal question?

gixxaben

hows it goin guys and girls

am in the middle of removing the transmission

as the thrust/throw out bearing is makin a whole lot of noise

now iv got all trans separated from the block but it still in place cos of the input shaft and now the

transfer case is now fouling the torsion bars mount

problem is, did i have to take off the mount that holds the torsion bars

and transfer case off aswel

ive taken off the gearbo mount and thought it would be enough

but theres no more room to slide the whole unit out due to the torsion/transfer case mount in the frickn way

any tips would be greatly appreicated

cheers Ben

another question

got it all back together

but....

the 19mm front anchor on the lower control arm

silly nissan decided to put a nut and bolt there with out tacking it

like many other points on the pathy

any way

theres not enough room for me to fit a ringy or open ender in the Xmember to get to the bolt head,...

howd did you guys go about it

cheers Ben

really wnat to get the pathy back on the road

man its been so long...I remember a big bolt turning and pissing me off and not being able to get to it...i think I may have crammed a flat tip back there to hold it in place while I nailed it with the air gun but I cant remember for sure what I did to fix it but I had the same problem ( I assume this is the splined part that goes through the LCA?

unless your talking about the 10MM bolts and I had to use 2 10mm open end wrenches to get those hold the back bolt and slowly turn the front nut...

Edited by unccpathfinder

all back together now

but the light grinding sound is still there

its on idle but when i get on the clutch the grinding stops

any ideas

I had an 87 Pathfinder that would sound like that. It would do it when the gearbox bearings were going bad. The noise goes away when the clutch is depressed. I've twice had to rebuild that gearbox, basically to replace bad bearings. The first time the noise built up gradually over a few weeks until I finally fixed it. The second time the noise started abruptly: before making a dinner stop it was fine, after dinner it was making an obvious noise that could be heard at highway speeds.

Hopefully this isn't your problem, cause if it is, you'll have to drop your clutch and t-case again. :P

Sounds like my 91 hardbody, its the throwout bearing in that, been liek that for years, i just dont want to pull it apart unless that trans is goeing in the Pathfinder.....

you did replace the throwout bearing right?

yes i replaced the throw out/thrust bearing?

only thing i can think of is the gear box is on its way

or maybe gear oil level is way low?

i didnt end up changing it at the time as the drain plug did not want to budge

i'm goin to do the oil change this weekend see how it goes

one thing i noticed during driving this week was it is only noisy in 1,2,3 and 5th gear

4th gear was normal and quiet

any other suggestions on wat it couild be

please feel free to mention it

cheers Ben

yes i replaced the throw out/thrust bearing?

only thing i can think of is the gear box is on its way

or maybe gear oil level is way low?

i didnt end up changing it at the time as the drain plug did not want to budge

i'm goin to do the oil change this weekend see how it goes

one thing i noticed during driving this week was it is only noisy in 1,2,3 and 5th gear

any other suggestions on wat it couild be

please feel free to mention it

cheers Ben

That's VERY common in fluid starved 5speed trannies. 4th will never make a noise, ever. Mine went on like that for over 80,000kms until it finally started really grinding, and had to be replaced.

AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.....

a) drain the old fluid

B) fill to 5.1L of GL-4 fluid ONLY. Do NOT use GL-5 as that could have contributed to the noise you're hearing as well. You can throw in about 20% Lucas Oil Stabilizer in there as well, as it can't hurt, and has been know to quiet down the whine a little.

I had the exact same symptom the first time I had my gearbox rebuilt. Along with some other worn bearings, one of the bigger bearings was obviously shot: the bracket that held the balls spaced apart in the race had gotten chewed up. Strips of jammed metal were hanging out of the bearing when we got to it.

I don't mean to cause you to panic, but that was just my experience. Before I had it opened up, friends were telling me that manual gearboxes typically don't fail suddenly and catastrophically (as opposed to automatics), and I could drive it around until serious problems started showing up. But since I needed reliability at the time, I opted to have it taken care of. The second time I had my gearbox rebuilt there was no obvious specific problem like the first time, and I believe I could have driven it for a good while longer.

You might get lucky by simply topping off the transmission fluid and/or using an aftermarket additive as Simon suggests. It all depends on your risk tolerance.

did your input shaft have any play at alll

im thinking it could be this,

because ther was a considerable amount of freeplay

suggesting that a bearing would be shot to @!*% in the trans??

cheers ben

Edited by gixxaben

yep mine ground a little then alot (sounded EXACTLY like a throwout bearing) so I put it off;

had to have bearings replaced... syncros and all were fine(rusted frame broke after 3 months though!-)

Sound goes away once pressure on the shaft stops it from wobbling.

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

did your input shaft have any play at alll

Sorry, I don't know. Though I watched as the gearbox was removed and opened, I didn't actually have my hands on it.

Can't say I'm an expert, but considerable play on your input shaft seems very suspicious...

yep mine ground a little then alot (sounded EXACTLY like a throwout bearing) so I put it off;

had to have bearings replaced... syncros and all were fine(rusted frame broke after 3 months though!-)

Sound goes away once pressure on the shaft stops it from wobbling.

thats the exact symptoms

has anyone tore down and freshened up a gbox before

id really want to take it on but

dont know wat to expect

cheers Ben