Photo Radar blocking

Little Mule

Hey all,

I recently got caught doing 76 in a 65 zone by photo radar. I don't know about where everyone else lives, but here in the Phoenix area, cameras are popping up everywhere. I saw today in Arizona's fiscal budget for next year, the Governor is expecting $90 million from camera citations. Yes, it can help promote safe driving some, but to me their motivation is another way to tax us.

So my question is about these license plate covers and/or photo blocking spray designed to prevent the camera from getting a picture of your plate. Has anyone used them and swear by them? Has anyone used them and not had them work? Is one better than the other?

Let me know your experience.

Thanks

from what i have heard from people that have to deal with this, the spays work.. i am sure if you google around you will find all kinds of way to get around this BS.

the best thing to do is this though:

kerrj20071001125148.jpg

speedcam_burning1.jpg

ain't those purdy? :D :D

I saw an episode of "mythbusters" on the discovery channel a while back that tested out all of the various items you can purchase. I don't think any of them worked well enough to get out of a ticket. I remember for sure that the license plate cover didn't work at all.

Bummer about the ticket. Good Luck

there are camera jammers out there.

Active jammers are illegal without an FCC license (which, to be honest, is rather easy to get). Passive jammers are just plain ineffective.

Some of the new cameras reportedly have "pic on jam" features so they just start snapping pics when they get jammed. Pretty easy to figure out who had the jammer then.

A better way of dealing with it is judicially. If you have the time, money, and a lawyer, fight the ticket on civil rights issues and get photo radar banned by the courts.

Here in Texas, we didn't bother. Automated unmanned photo radar, as of the last legislative session, is permanently banned in the state of Texas.

Edited by GhostPath

Contest the citation.... something about "Demand for Discovery" "Burden of Proof" and "Due Process" Call around to some of your local attorneys... there fee is going to be cheaper in the long run...

Or....since they're not actually radar triggered, rather triggered by timing the in- and out-times going over sensors in the roadways, why just slow down over the sensors in the road (you did notice all of the little snakey tar patches all over the 101 by the cameras, right?). Or, you could just slow down when everyone else does...there's usually a pretty good reason for it.

Or...do the speed limit, that's a pretty simple solution, too. You'll get better gas mileage, and you'll be less stressed out, and you'll be polluting less. It may take you 1.7 minutes longer to reach your destination, but if you're really so important that 1.7 minutes is a big deal, then a photo-ticket shouldn't be a big deal.

I know the redlight camera's in NC were run by a private company and if you got a ticket you didnt have to pay it b/c there were no "legal" ways to make you pay...and when I moved from there to here in CA they actually stopped the vans that took speed pictures and the redlight camera's b/c it was "unjust" or something like that...the best I could say is get a radar detector...if you start getting buzzes then you probably know theres one near by and slow down...or have a plate swapper actuator so the plate turns face down or flips behind the bumper or has a cover that goes over it...

I'd be careful with messing with the plates...I had a teacher in HS that got drunk and drove all the time and spray painted his plate white (you cant see nothing if its all the same color) but they popped him for defacing state property or some crap

I haven't been caught by one yet, but they really do seem ridiculous. I would think fighting the ticket in court would be the best option. Oh, and a little off-topic: if you're worried about pollution, you're in the wrong hobby.

Or....since they're not actually radar triggered, rather triggered by timing the in- and out-times going over sensors in the roadways, why just slow down over the sensors in the road (you did notice all of the little snakey tar patches all over the 101 by the cameras, right?). Or, you could just slow down when everyone else does...there's usually a pretty good reason for it.

Or...do the speed limit, that's a pretty simple solution, too. You'll get better gas mileage, and you'll be less stressed out, and you'll be polluting less. It may take you 1.7 minutes longer to reach your destination, but if you're really so important that 1.7 minutes is a big deal, then a photo-ticket shouldn't be a big deal.

It was on the 101, and I even knew it was there. I've past it about 100 times in the past. They don't take the photo unless you are 11+mph over the speed limit. So I usually only go 5 over the speed limit. However, this particular time I was distracted by my dog, and must have been going a little faster. On the 101 there in Scottsdale, if you are only going 5 miles over the limit, you better be in the right lane. You'll get run off the road. It is pretty common to see people going 80+ mph. They just slow down for the cameras.

Now there are cameras everywhere, including vans parked on the side of the road that they move to different locations. Not to mention a ton of intersections have them now. I'm pretty good about stopping on yellow lights. But who doesn't have that rare occasion when the light turns yellow and you have a brief moment of indecision, and then go through the light realizing afterward you probably should have stopped. Well, if you only do that once per year, you could now easily get a ticket since a camera is there to catch every mistake. I'm a more careful driver these days than I was in the past because I'm older, and I have kids I care for. I haven't had a ticket in years till now (got them often from age 16-25). I just took the online defensive driving course and went in and passed the test to get the ticket removed with no points on my license. But apparently I can't do that again for 2 years. With the cameras everywhere catching any possible mistake, I want to do what I can be prevent it from happening again.

.357 revolver... when you see the camera, pop it off :D

I hate damn cops... they aren't there to enforce the law anymore, they're there to slight the public and fill their quota!

I hate damn cops... they aren't there to enforce the law anymore, they're there to slight the public and fill their quota!

The ones around here are nice to you until they see how old you are on your drivers license...... :(

i got one here in fort collins, co. On the ticket it stated that it wasnt going to be reported to the DMV or to insurance so in my mind they are only doing it to make money. The fine was $40, and im sure thats why it's so low. I wasnt going to take off work and try to fight it and i would end up losing money and would still have to pay court fee's and what not. As for having a radar dectector that wont always work, i have one and i still got hit. It started going off at the same time that i got my pic taken. If you had a pop sensor detector it might work better. As for the mythbusters thing, do you really think that if it did work they would tell you how to get around breaking the law?

You know, I hear this alot and I wonder what society would be without cops. Imagine all the things people would do if they knew there was no penalty?

So my question is about these license plate covers and/or photo blocking spray designed to prevent the camera from getting a picture of your plate. Has anyone used them and swear by them? Has anyone used them and not had them work? Is one better than the other?

Let me know your experience.

Thanks

They don't work. As stated, they've been tested (plastic covers "invisible" spray, etc.) on mainstream TV. Those gimmicks are about as useful as the rest of the last 4 pages of sh!t you find in Motor Trend and Car and Driver, MAXIM and FHM. Don't believe me? Pick up any one of them and take a look...you'll find disappearing license plate spray right next to the pills that grow your manhood 28 inches :togo:

I'm puzzled; do you really think messing with a plate to make it invisible to Johnny-Law's lazy-day cameras is a good idea? Irregardless of whether or not you're ever caught??

Edited by navygz19

As for the mythbusters thing, do you really think that if it did work they would tell you how to get around breaking the law?

You must not have seen the episode where they beat the photo radar by going like 175mph(IIRC) in a badass sports car. :shiftyeyes: The did several passes increasing the speed each time until they drove past the camera so fast it never knew they where there.(meaning it didn't even take a pic) I'm not 100% sure if that was mythbusters or some similar show, but I'm sure someone else saw it and will jump in with a :clickdalink: or something. :crossedwires:

I did just recently read an article about a town that was canceling their photo radar contract because not enough people were getting caught. Yes, the city bluntly admitted they were installed to generate revenue, but people were slowing down where the cameras were and the revenue flow was not what they wanted so they were getting rid of them!

So that is the ONLY proven solution to date - LEARN where the cameras are, EDUCATE everyone where they are, and SLOW down when driving by the cameras.

You must not have seen the episode where they beat the photo radar by going like 175mph(IIRC) in a badass sports car. :shiftyeyes: The did several passes increasing the speed each time until they drove past the camera so fast it never knew they where there.(meaning it didn't even take a pic) I'm not 100% sure if that was mythbusters or some similar show, but I'm sure someone else saw it and will jump in with a :clickdalink: or something. :crossedwires:

...yea that was that scene in tokyo drift where the american kid thought he was gonna get busted and the other guy says if your going over whatever speed they wont even try to catch you ;)

hehe just bustin your balls ;)

Didn't they have an LCD cover on one of the cars in that Spike TV wannabe Cannonball Run show? They flipped a switch, it turned white instantly, flip it off back to clear.

Any device used to attempt to circumvent the camera or radar is illegal, or will be made illegal once realized by the "Authorities".