Weeling again pt2

da0z

Ok late April is good for me. Should not be any snow left.

Riiight, almost April now... get the last of the snow out of my yard, then we can talk about the tons in the hills. ;)

On a side note, you can usually hit up Evans and stay below the snow by then, or head out to Tahuya or somewhere else, FS roads and such. Whatever's clever.

Isn't the Naches stuff pretty high up too? = snow There's that one west of Olympia, I can never remember the name, but Red knows. Or Tahuya. I know that's pretty mild, but for once, we have decent water, and there's the mud area we didn't go to last year. But... and a big but... I'm all but out end of April til mid May or so. Got family out of town stuff lined up, then we're heading down to San Diego for a bit. But hell, I may be able to fit something in here and there. This weekend would be nice, for once.

ahh it is pretty high up. and do remember that it is like high 50's low 60's so most of the stuff has melted. a little left. oh and btw WE ROCK nationals is coming to ellensburg june 20-22. im watching them build th ecourse 12 mile outside fo town and then they are leaving it there when they are done. but im going to go watch it i think and if any of you would like to join you are more than welcome to join and stay at my place. which means no hotel charge. and we can do some wheeling. id be down for whatever. o pickles when are you good till. if you want to come out to eburg this weekend im going down to yakima to run a thing called the slab.

Ellensburg is a bit out of my range at the moment. I'm right off Hwy410, so Yakima isn't too bad once they open the pass for the summer. Have fun though! I've resigned myself to taking care of a couple projects Sat., then golfing with the guys Sun. :)

Hold on, so do they, or do they not, have truck trails there-abouts? I heard they did a while back, but don't see mention of it really, other than trucks hauling dirt bikes and quads to those trails.

Is it just for bikes and quads? We need some new options...

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I had heard the same, but since I have not been there myself....

From the Brochure:

One mile motocross track with four-wheel drive and off-road course on its infield.

Straddleline is an intensive use facility which includes 5 miles of bike trails in the park and access to over 100 miles of trails within Capitol State Forest. It offers over 150 acres of open riding, 1 mile MX track, 1/8 mile flat track, off-road courses, sand drag strip, kid’s mini MX course, 4-wheel drive obstacle course, camp sites, meeting hall, restrooms with showers, concession stand with restrooms, covered grandstands, a main office and a caretaker’s residence.

Without clarification on this and given the rates for entry/camping... along with some of the rules, I am thinking that Straddline is probably a no go at this point

I have been ther its lower land 2400 or so. There is an enterence to the forest at the orv park. You can take the trail back east and it will dump you back on to hwy 8. There is some trails close to the orv park from what i got off the website. I have been out there a few times 10 or so to shelton being the home base. But olny once to the trails over by belfair/bellingham. One time we went from Lake Winochinee to Lake Cushman but that was befor the fires in the park. That was a fun loop. But back to the orv park there is some good 4x4 trails out there and a few quad/jeep/wink wink PATHFINDER trails under the power lines. But I lack a good map or any map of the trails. Most ot the trails are just logging roads. There is a camp ground back under past the powerlines that looked like it could be a cood party spot. I think it had a creek and mabe a concret toilet. There was alot of quads in the camp along with 4x4 rigs.

Hmmm... yeah, Straddleline sounds out pretty much, unless someone could point out the other mystery trails.

On the subject of the Wynoochee Lake/River area, I'm up there often, at least 1-2 times a year for camping and screwing off. I know there are roads you can take from the dam area and go all the way out to the ocean, or you can go the other direction out toward Lake Cushman and the east part of 101. There are lots of roads to venture on, but most are just plain maintained forest service roads. I've hit a couple fun little patches out there while out with a buddy, but most of the group has pavement pounders, so we usually go hiking around, fishing, plunking, drinking... etc. But all in all, I haven't seen anything really worthy of a trail run by itself, especially being as far out as it is. Pretty much next exit past Montesano off Hwy 8 going toward the ocean, then north on the road like 20 miles till it turns to dirt, then another 20 miles or so above the dam and lake to where we camp. I'll try and ask around and explore some more, we'll be out there late June or early July.

Ok, I went out by the gravle pit out at Wilkerson and there was more dam snow! I'm starting to think the ice caps are building back up, new ice age lol. Idon't know in 2 weeks if the snow is going to melt. So.....

looks like i'm out for awhile on any wheeling. living out of a camp trailer during the week for work and going to my house in wenatchee on weekends there is no time for fun. sorry guys. post pics when you guys do go.

Reiter = up in Snohomish or Skagit Co., right? I've never been wheeling way up there. Where is Walker Valley? *looks like same general area*

F'n gas is gonna kill us soon enough. Its tough to justify driving all over hell lately. grrr

*edit* Huh, can't seem to find much on Walker Valley. The DNR stuff is down or no longer exists, and this is about all I could find on a quick search. Linky Most sites either didn't say anything about 4x4 and focused only on trail or mountain bikes, or were bashing trucks and talking about the terrain they left for bikers. Looks like there may be a 4 mile 4x4 trail, but there's no word on if that is actual trail, or just forest service roads and such to access for the bikes. It doesn't sound too promising, but has anybody been there?

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Well.. i guess reiter is (i dont know how many acres) of free land, and its pretty much free roaming on random trails.. i guess you can make your own trails if you really wanted, and alot of them are supposed to be really tough (tail carnage :D)

And walker valley.. dont know much about that one either... i can get info if needed :shiftyeyes:

ORRR!! ORRR!!! we can go wheelin down in portland with niss88 :D if he wanted to

Edited by Nissyota88

unless you want body damage stay away from Reiter.

90% of the trails are narrow steep, sliding, trees, rocks, roots, stumps...

I smashed a door, thought i was going to bust a wheel off, had to winch over 3 obstacles..

unless you want body damage stay away from Reiter.

90% of the trails are narrow steep, sliding, trees, rocks, roots, stumps...

I smashed a door, thought i was going to bust a wheel off, had to winch over 3 obstacles..

:D sounds like fun, but you have a sas so... it probably be a lil more tricky fer me :shiftyeyes: