Rear Spring Options For Lifting Your WD21 Pathy

88pathoffroad

Yeah perfectly understandable and I agree completely... the FN was missing from one of my springs.

Also, any and all identifying information that can be found makes locating the right ones even easier :aok:

more updates....

verified yellow tag for FN's (picked up a pair off a 98 JCG limited) The first one I had, the tag had bleached out to white laying in the sun.

discovered a FH spring - .50 8coil with a grey tag

found an FK spring with original part number (1119) and the tag appeared yellow but that may be stained or faded. It was on a 94 cherokee sport

Edited by k9sar

• 1 month later...

Dumb question...has anyone tried this on an R50? And will I need either Four REAR JGC springs to do this?

Also with the Ford springs, is it only the rear springs that are useful or do you just strip all 4 off a truck?

Lastly, why did you cut them?

heheheheh. My suggestion is to measure your springs (uncompressed length, coil diameter and wire diameter) and head to the local u-pull-it to do some investigating.

heheheheh. My suggestion is to measure your springs (uncompressed length, coil diameter and wire diameter) and head to the local u-pull-it to do some investigating.

Yeah, I may do that actually. I'm checking all sorts of options, even pricing out custom work at a local offroad shop.

Stupid pathy, can't just leave it stock right?

Dumb question...has anyone tried this on an R50? And will I need either Four REAR JGC springs to do this?

Also with the Ford springs, is it only the rear springs that are useful or do you just strip all 4 off a truck?

Lastly, why did you cut them?

R50 coils are larger, so no, no JGC swap for R50's. REAR JGC springs are shorter than the fronts...Ford trucks have leaf springs in the rear...and the top coil on a JGC spring curls down to a 3" diameter that won't fit the seat on a Pathy, so you have to either trim the 3" bit off so it fits, or heat it up and re-shape the coil to 4".

• 2 weeks later...

OK I skimmed this entire thread and didn't see any mention of this so here's my .02

While looking for new JGC springs I found a list of all the vehicles with the exact same coils.

TRW VARIABLE RATE SPRINGS

Part Number: CC782

This product fits the following vehicles

JEEP

1984 - 1996 CHEROKEE

1989 - 1990 GRAND WAGONEER

1986 - 1992 COMANCHE

1984 - 1990 WAGONEER

1993 - 1996 GRAND CHEROKEE

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of front springs out of a 4.0L (I6) Jeep something sitting in front of me (thanks, Red!).

They have just under 8.5 coils, but it appears Red already cut the pig tail off.

The springs are just over 17" long.

The wire is .54 to .55 inches in diameter

OD of spring is about 5.25", ID is about 4.00"

Data points:

I did a bunch of mixing and matching and confused up the data points, but youmay still be able to glean some useful insights.

The '88 came with thick (.58") progressive JGC coils (not sure what model or color code) with pigtails already cut off and Rancho 5000's. Too firm for my taste. Nowhere near as bad as a Cherokee with add-a-leafs, but not as comfortable and compliant as I'd like. So those went on to the '87 going to the nephew who considers it a Cadillac ride compared to the aformentioned heep. With the same mini spare inside, small sub box, and 40lb tool box, this provided just under 1.5" lift.

On the '88, I installed the JGC I6 coils I mentioned below with the same Sears Roadtamer shocks I've been using on the '87. Straight rate, .55 wire.

Stiffer than stock for sure, but still very nice and compliant. Feels ideal to me! No noticeable loss of lift compared to the other springs, so again about 1 to 1.5" lift.

And yes, the Air-Lift bags are still in there for heavy loads or extra lift! I do need to make a spacer so they become effective sooner.

Bottom line: I think the JGC I-6 .55" wire straight rates could be the best option unless you regularly carry very heavy loads or like buckboard ride quaility. If you need more lift, add a spacer.

• 2 months later...
OK I skimmed this entire thread and didn't see any mention of this so here's my .02

While looking for new JGC springs I found a list of all the vehicles with the exact same coils.

TRW VARIABLE RATE SPRINGS

Part Number: CC782

This product fits the following vehicles

JEEP

1984 - 1996 CHEROKEE

1989 - 1990 GRAND WAGONEER

1986 - 1992 COMANCHE

1984 - 1990 WAGONEER

1993 - 1996 GRAND CHEROKEE

Excellent info, thanks. I'll add to the first post so it's easier for new folks to find it.

• 1 year later...
Yes, if the t-bars are adjusted properly. They may need to be reindexed though, due to age.

Hey 88, i'm going to be heading to a couple u pull it yards this weekend to get some jgc coils. I"m wondering, what new shocks should i get to accommodate the lift the new coil springs are going to give? Also, is cranking the torsion bars the only way to get a front end lift?

I'm thinking about going with the JGC coil lift, and getting some coil spacers, which should give about a 5" lift, but what should i do about the front end? Do you recommend me only going with the JGC coil lift, cranking the torsion bars and getting a body lift to help with my oversize tires and clearance?

Any input helps! Thanks alot!

Hey 88, i'm going to be heading to a couple u pull it yards this weekend to get some jgc coils. I"m wondering, what new shocks should i get to accommodate the lift the new coil springs are going to give? Also, is cranking the torsion bars the only way to get a front end lift?

I'm thinking about going with the JGC coil lift, and getting some coil spacers, which should give about a 5" lift, but what should i do about the front end? Do you recommend me only going with the JGC coil lift, cranking the torsion bars and getting a body lift to help with my oversize tires and clearance?

:laugh: @ 5" of lift........... (my other truck king caca only has 7" of lift on 33's.. 4" SL and 3"BL)

one of my trucks (mini me) has the JGC lift (i got 3.5" out back).... with almost equal lift up front (now my t bars er saggin).... i run rancho 5000's with mini's JGC lift...

BL is a way to clear larger tires........ still may have to trim depending on what size tires yer runnin......

besides a SL, yes, cranking the t bars is the only way to get front end lift.....

Edited by Slick

Hey 88, i'm going to be heading to a couple u pull it yards this weekend to get some jgc coils. I"m wondering, what new shocks should i get to accommodate the lift the new coil springs are going to give?

There's a shock discussion thread already in progress somewhere around here...stock length Ranchos are 5118's, I used 5112's with about 4" of lift with good results.

Also, is cranking the torsion bars the only way to get a front end lift?

Basically, yes. You could also go buy a Trailmaster 4" lift kit, which drops the front diff and torsion bars down 4". The real limit on front end lift is the CV axles. You cannot lift it more than around 3 inches max without maxing out the angles on the CV's and potentially ruining them every time you go wheeling. I've replaced at least 4 trashed CV's by now, so I can say this with some authority. ;)

See above. The rear can be lifted much higher than the front can, so take caution with the 5" idea. ;)

There's a shock discussion thread already in progress somewhere around here...stock length Ranchos are 5118's, I used 5112's with about 4" of lift with good results.

Basically, yes. You could also go buy a Trailmaster 4" lift kit, which drops the front diff and torsion bars down 4". The real limit on front end lift is the CV axles. You cannot lift it more than around 3 inches max without maxing out the angles on the CV's and potentially ruining them every time you go wheeling. I've replaced at least 4 trashed CV's by now, so I can say this with some authority. ;)

See above. The rear can be lifted much higher than the front can, so take caution with the 5" idea. ;)

Awesome! Thanks for all the help!

• 1 month later...

question about shocks.. I currently have RS5116 shocks in, but I feel the coils I have in there (calmini 3" lift coils) have a lot more potential for extension. However, I'm not sure if I'm lifted enough to go to RS5112s which is what I want to do. Looking at the shock that's in now it looks like there is about 6" of room on the shock for compression. Will I have problems going to the 5112? or should I go 5114? oooor stay at 5116.

• 4 weeks later...

with the ammount of info on here i am extremely confused(not hard to do). at work i am junking a 89 cherokee laredo i6. are these useful or not on a 88 2 door, no spare tire rack? i have them out but didn't think far enough ahead to measure anything or count the coils,commen sence is lacking with me sometimes. i was just wondering before i go through cutting them and wasting getting them powdercoated.

typically, the I6 have tthe lighter springs (probably FJ's). coil count should be same but throw a quick measurement on the wire thickness. anything over .52 should give you some lift

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to tell everyone about the JGC coils I got at the local JY. It seems everyone say v8 models is where to get them but I found

yellow tag .560 inch coil thickness part number 52088362 FN got them from a 6 cyl Grand Cherokee Limited. hope they work for me.

Just want to help the ass sag and stiffen it up some with a little bit of lift. Going on 95 SE with tire carrier and trailer hitch.

Here is a pic of the new springs

post-5380-1212497697_thumb.jpg

Edited by Creekkid

• 3 months later...

Just saw this "how-to" topic for the first time tonight. Just curious, if I put these springs in the back can I still keep the stock length shocks, and can I get away with just cranking up the tbars in the front to equal out the lift?

Thanks