Rear Spring Options For Lifting Your WD21 Pathy

88pathoffroad

I've got a 4 door with the rear spare and all the weight, including a sub box, and I got about 2 1/2 inches lift. Could be that my old springs were really sagging though. :shrug: You could also install air shocks to give you a little boost. They're pretty cheap.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest audiosportconcepts

I have an 88 w/ the rear tire carier (not anymore, cause i smoothed it), but stock that thing sagged wicked, i'm sure it didn't help with my 200 lb sub box in the back. But anyways I put the f-100 springs in, but instead of cutting the pigtail off, i bent it out to the 4" diameter that i needed, and my stock shocks are all the way extended, with no more room. I fully cranked the torsions up, and it still sits 1.5" lower than the back, I have never re- indexed torsions before, is it worth the hassle, or should I just go out and get the ball joint spacers? -thnkboutit-

I don't think you're going to want to use the Ball joint spacers, unless you have aftermarket Upper control Arms, or you'll end up like 88's Pathy with the bent UCA's. Better off to buy aftermarket UCA's, reindex your T-bars, and crank away. :aok:

Exactly......no need for spacers if you get new UCA's. Most aftermarket ones are made to allow for more natural angles of the ball joint, same as if you added a spacer to your current UCA's

Guest audiosportconcepts

Hey Thanx you've been real helpfull, I printed out 88's profile on re-indexing and i think i'll give her a whirl P...

• 6 months later...

There's been some talk lately of using aftermarket lift springs for a JGC. There are some front coil springs available at partsamerica.com for Grand Cherokees with 2 and 3 inch lifts. Can anyone confirm using these to lift a pathy? It would be hard to guess how much lift they would give. I know anything about 3" over stock will start to make the rear higher than the front but I wouldn't mind an inch or so higher in the back. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Getalilmudonthetires

Hey all, I tried putting the ford springs in my 92 Pathfinder i bought them brand new their moog springs and i got at least 3inches maybe even 4" lift in the rear now and i found it so easy to do following the instructions from the damagedreality website thanks everyone who put all the information together everything was pretty helpfull

• 4 months later...

How sure are you about the lift for the 4 door pathfinders with wheel carier. I want to do one of these sping lifts but am only looking for 1-1.5 inch of extra lift. Is there any way in can make the springs smaller if i get to much lift.

Must sound weird about not wanting the full amount but i drive my truck pretty hard and without being able to get aftermarket steeing upgrades (living in Australia) im sure i will be breaking tire rods and the like left, right an centre with any lift above 1.5

I read your write up 2 times b 4 I did my JGC coil conversion.... I paid $70 for both coils brand new from krangen.. and for some unknown reason.. my coils were slightly different.. but without the tire carrier on my 4 door I got almost 4" of lift... I must be one of the lucky ones. Thanks 88!! :aok:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

iv got a set of coils from a 93 jgc, and im waiting for a 2 inch body lift to show up at my doorstep from ebay, but before i get too far into lifting my pathfinder (a 94 xe) what about break lins, park breaks fuel lines and shocks? ill probably pick up some rancho's or trailmaster shocks anyways cause mine are still the originals, but what about the lines? anyone know? thanks

will

iv got a set of coils from a 93 jgc, and im waiting for a 2 inch body lift to show up at my doorstep from ebay, but before i get too far into lifting my pathfinder (a 94 xe) what about break lins, park breaks fuel lines and shocks? ill probably pick up some rancho's or trailmaster shocks anyways cause mine are still the originals, but what about the lines? anyone know? thanks

will

Far as I've heard, you don't have to do extensions on any of those with a 2" kit. I did 3" and only had to extend the fuel filler hose and relocate the power steering reservoir a bit, both covered in the instructions for the Performance Accessories body lift. No biggie at all. So I think you should be OK. Replacing the coils doesn't involve the lines either, other than being careful not to stretch the brake lines or E brake cable when lowering the axle. I simply removed the bolt holding the brake line guides on either side to allow some slack, then lowered the axle with no issues.

perfect, thanks alot. i went into the nissan dealersihp in the area, cause the parts manager drives a 94 nissan pickup with a big bunch of lift on it, and he said the same thing. there are mounts that hold hte lines to the body and the frame and to jut unbold them to have enough play. thanks tho

ill post pictures when its done. ( 2 inch body lift, jgc coils , torsion bars and 33's_ i cant wait!!!!!)

Right on. Those rear coils really are super easy and straight forward. Look for 88pathoffroad's instructions, or just follow common sense (unbolt lower shock mount and brake cable guides, etc.), watch the brake lines and e brake cable, etc. I had the springs in and mounted in maybe 45 min. taking my time. Be sure to post any pics or questions, and good luck!

okay i understand. i got the coils from a friend of mines boss, ho replaced the coils in his charokee, and he told me the longer of the coils were the backs. so i was kinda thinking if the short ones ould lift it a bit, then wouldnt hte longer ones do a better job??? but i figgurerd id ask first haha. but that makes sence now

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

i think with body lift too.. rancho 9000's. i have the rancho 5000's but no lift other than the jgcc and cranked t-bars :aok:

some peeps also love their bilsteins, pro comps.... there are several shocks to choose from ranging from $80 for a pair up to $150 a pair.

ONCE AGAIN, rear Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 coils are SHORTER than the fronts. The boss is wrong or has a different vehicle if they're longer in the rear. Actually, only ZJ's and Wranglers have coils front and rear, so that narrows down the selection. Do not use standard Cherokee 6-cyl front springs, they will not give you any lift.

You can keep the stock shocks on, but they'll top out and eventually they'll pop a seal from it. Get replacement shocks for the rear that are between 22 and 25 inches long fully extended, like a pair of Rancho RS5112's.

• 1 month later...