What do you think

cohen

I graduate from high school this june and my parents want me to get a new truck, (00-04 Chevy 1500). I have about 10k saved up. A friend has already told me they will give me 4 grand for my pathy, but I want to keep it and put 3 or 4 grand into and the other 6 grand into a brand new utility 4wheeler. So my question is, can I get to about 18 mpgs (I'm at 13 right now) with my Pathy, along with maybe doing a SAS, a friend of mine would be doing it for me, and I would only have to pay for parts, no labor. And then putting 35's, maybe 33's if I don't have the money. I want to do an engine rebuild, and I'll probably have to gears also.

This is what I have so far:

-3" BL

-Flowmaster cat-back exhaust

-32x11.50 BFG ATs

-192xxx miles

pics coming up after I edit them.

img1380ji3.jpg

img1292km1.jpg

Edited by cohen

That's a damn nice looking truck, I would have a hard time selling it, too.

Personally, I'd keep it and get a used Accord or something for $5,000 or so to use as a primary commuter. That way you wouldn't be out of a vehicle while you mod the Pathy. BTW, I think 18mpg is a tall order for a SASed VG30 Pathy on 35's, plus you prolly won't leave a new truck stock either which would lower its mpg as well.

So leave your $5k something basically stock and you'll offset the mod costs in fuel savings once gas hits $4.00 a gallon this summer by driving it rather than the Pathy most of the time.

You get a honda it will get stolen, accords are disappearing left and right now, mine was stolen before I got the pathy (why i got the pathy). Get an altima or camry or something that is not as stolen as any honda. I love honda's, especially accords, but I don't want to see that happen to anyone else.

As stated above, get a little 4cyl car for the weekdays, keep the Pathy for the weekends. Nissan, Honda, Toyota, or similar. We got the wifey an Acura CL (a 2-door Accord in fancy clothes) with a V-Tech 4cyl a few years ago, and it gets low 30's on the hwy while wrapped in leather and it cruises quite comfy. Its a perfectly comfortable commuter and road trip car, and it can roll in traffic no problemo. My Pathy (31x12.5 MT's and 6" lift) gets around 12mpg around town or trail these days, and 15 to mayyybe max 16 on pretty flat highway. Lets just say, as 88 has pointed to, mileage just ain't pretty. Regardless of which gears that you swap in, 18mpg is great on a stock Pathy. Any sort of tire or lift mods, and it just isn't happing.

That's a nice truck, and if its in as decent shape as it looks, it would be hard to replace. Keep it, play with it, and buy a daily driver.

a sas is alos gonna cost you anywhere from 2 grand +. expect to spend close to 3 on one. id say get a smaller car for gas mileage. and then either sas. your dreamin about 18... just not gonna happen especially with 35's. my sas is costin me about 2500 all done and said. and ima run 35's and im hopin to get maybe 13.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the compliments, I remember when I first got it bone stock a few years ago I never thought people would be talking about it like that. haha. I do try to keep it clean when I don't plan on wheeling it for awhile because they are so unique, I have only seen a handful that are anything but stock. I really really want to keep it, but if I sell it for the 4 grand, I'll have 14 or 15 to spend on a newer Chevy 1500, which is really tempting. Keeping it and getting something different is kind of out of the question because in VA after having 5 or more cars you have to get on a different insurance plan, and being a freshman in college I can't afford to pay insurance on 1 of the vehicles and gas for both of them. Plus the wheeling spots around here are getting less and less. I take it I would be lucky to keep the 13 mpg I'm getting now after 33's or 35's.

...More thinking to do

If you do sell it... can I have it? Goddamn... I'm in PA... that'd be the PERFECT gift for my fiance!

If you can compete with 4 grand, and depending on how soon I find another truck. He says it won't be until May or maybe June until he can get it.

sell the pathfinder for 4 grand and buy another for 1 grand then buy ur chevy. over in oregon there is not a big market for pathfinders i have never seen a pre 90s go for over 2500$ on craigslist or even auto traders. u can get nice ones for 1000$ bucks + if ur gona use that pathfinder for wheeling its gona take damage anyways. just my 0.02

Edited by bigfisch1191

I really really want to keep it, but if I sell it for the 4 grand, I'll have 14 or 15 to spend on a newer Chevy 1500, which is really tempting. Keeping it and getting something different is kind of out of the question because in VA after having 5 or more cars you have to get on a different insurance plan, and being a freshman in college I can't afford to pay insurance on 1 of the vehicles and gas for both of them.

I say if you really want to keep it... Keep it and use the part of 10k...(be patient) to buy a decent used bike, cash... say $2-3k range in the 550-750cc range, less $ if you can find a deal... use that as your everyday commuter, weather allowing... set aside a couple hundred for the min. liability ins for the year... blow the extra $7-8k the on the pathy, gear, school supplies, beer, toys, music, tatoos, hookers, whatever...

You'll save hell a cash on gas and ins for the everyday commute... still have your girl... and a something for bad weather... and you can take all your girlfriends out in the mode of transportation that is best suited for the occation and/or weather... unlike me when I was in school...

Bikes are really popular these days, as opposed to when I got my first one... Feed off the rookies... most of these guys watch a couple of episode of OCC or Jessie James and go out buy themselves way too much bike that they can handle and a cute outfit to match their new chain wallet... lay it down with in a few months and get rid of it as fast as possible...

Thats the way I bought my last one... she wasn't much of a looker but she was real good to me... I'd run all around the Rio Grande Valley border area... out to South Padre Island... a Weekend Run down into Mexico... several trips up to San Antoinio, Austin, etc... Priceless...

Well thats my 98 cents...

I'm working on trying to find a place to keep it, and get something good on gas. Then take 2 or 3k and make the pathy into a project truck / weekend toy. 3" SL, redo whole exhaust, prolly new tires.. I'm thinkin the 33x13.50 LTBs with rock crawler rims for $800 in Peterson's off road magazine. Warn Premiums. Maybe an LSD rear end also. brand new LSDs and lockers are pretty effin expensive....

any more suggestions?

Edited by cohen

I'm working on trying to find a place to keep it, and get something good on gas. Then take 2 or 3k and make the pathy into a project truck / weekend toy. 3" SL, redo whole exhaust, prolly new tires.. I'm thinkin the 33x13.50 LTBs with rock crawler rims for $800 in Peterson's off road magazine. Warn Premiums. Maybe an LSD rear end also. brand new LSDs and lockers are pretty effin expensive....

any more suggestions?

Good thinking, keep it for playing in the dirt and foul weather, etc. IMHO, tires (and rims if necessary) are the best first mod. Lift is good, especially if needed to fit said tire, and 33" tire generally = 3" suspension + 3" body. Locker = cheap bang for the buck traction and performance. After that, I'd say recovery equipment and basic tools, cb if you get remote and out of cell range or just want to talk on the trail for free, and also maybe some various armor. That can all be accomplished plus some on a $3k budget, maybe even $2k+ with some elbow grease.

R.C. UCA's $anyone know a price?

New Torsion bars Calmini or 4x4parts.com $210

New Coils Calmini (20% spring rate) or 4x4parts.com (30% spring rate) $130

LockRight rear Locker $270

Warn Premiums Which one \/

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/nissanpa...nw36209901.html

or

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/nissanpa...2873958837.html

and do I need an auto to manual conversion kit?

What shocks do you recomend?

Do I need to get an idler arm brace?

Do I need new upper ball joints?

anything else I'm missing for the suspension lift parts?

Edited by cohen

... So my question is, can I get to about 18 mpgs (I'm at 13 right now) with my Pathy, along with maybe doing a SAS, a friend of mine would be doing it for me, and I would only have to pay for parts, no labor. And then putting 35's, maybe 33's if I don't have the money. I want to do an engine rebuild, and I'll probably have to gears also.

I get 20 MPG highway and about 15-16 mpg street in my Pathy. It used to never get above 17 hwy and 14-15 street untill I put a K&N filter(no special intake just the filter) and thorley headers w/ magnaflow 2.25'' hiflow cat and magnaflow 2.25" mufler I wouldn't open the exhaust much more than 2.25 on a stock VG30. Stick w/ NGK plugs to, thats what came in it OEM and I've tried others and see a decrease in MPG (no noticeabe power difeance tho)

And thats with 1" torsion bar lift and 31x10.50 tires

With a rebuild + intake & full exhaust only you might see your 18 mpg on the hwy but you'll lose it adding the weight of a SAS or 35's. Gears effect your mpg too; gear too low and these low rpm motors may get worse mpg on the freeway than on the street and street may be bad too.

Edited by MY1PATH

New Torsion bars Calmini or 4x4parts.com $210

New Coils Calmini (20% spring rate) or 4x4parts.com (30% spring rate) $130

LockRight rear Locker $270

Warn Premiums Which one \/

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/nissanpa...nw36209901.html

or

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/nissanpa...2873958837.html

and do I need an auto to manual conversion kit?

What shocks do you recomend?

Do I need to get an idler arm brace?

Do I need new upper ball joints?

anything else I'm missing for the suspension lift parts?

Yeah, i called the other day.... if i remember correctly, they are wanting 260.00 for them.... seems a bit higher than others have spent, they are all i know of though! anybody else know where they are cheaper? or.... other ones that are of good quality but less $?

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/Guards_Nissan.HTM

its all the way at the bottom, black is $119, and chrome is $144. BUT it isn't a perfect fit. I had to take a hacksaw and cut part of the bottom pieces off so it would fit snug. To install it, you have to remove the 4 screws in the front of your bumper, and drill 2 holes in the top part of the plastic piece. Along with buying longer bolts, but that wasn't a problem. Also, the tabs weren't welded correctly so if you look at it closely, you can tell it sits facing a little to the right. I called the company cussing them out throughout the day for their sh!tty product :crossedwires: , but after it was done and I got the lights mounted up, it looks good..

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks man! i actually got one on craigslist for 10 bucks! i think its for a bronco... but it looks identical to yours, and has holes for the mounts almost exactly where the bumper mount holes are...

do you think you could send me any pictures of the mounted pushbar where it connects to the bumper?

that would be awesome!

thanks dude-the pathy looks great.

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/Guards_Nissan.HTM

its all the way at the bottom, black is $119, and chrome is $144. BUT it isn't a perfect fit. I had to take a hacksaw and cut part of the bottom pieces off so it would fit snug. To install it, you have to remove the 4 screws in the front of your bumper, and drill 2 holes in the top part of the plastic piece. Along with buying longer bolts, but that wasn't a problem. Also, the tabs weren't welded correctly so if you look at it closely, you can tell it sits facing a little to the right. I called the company cussing them out throughout the day for their sh!tty product :crossedwires: , but after it was done and I got the lights mounted up, it looks good..