JGC console in an '87 Pathfinder

JGC console in an '87 Pathfinder.

This is the console I found. It's wider than a stock one and fits pretty tight between the seats. Originally, it was beige and black. I sprayed it with Dupli-color plastic paint to mach my interior and repainted the black area to freshen it up a bit.

I cut four triangles from some black vinyl fabric for a shift boot and had a local alteration shop sew the sides up for me for $10. Then I made a trim ring from press board and secured the boot to the console from the bottom.

console2.jpg

post-5-1088463876.jpg

Edited by jj big shoe

In order to make it fit, a few things have to be modified.

First, relocate your emergency brake handle about two inches toward the driver's side. The rear mount for the e-brake must be bent down to match the contour of the center hump in order to bolt it back to the body. I also trimmed the bracket plate that used to hold the old console so it wouldn't interfere with the new console or e-brake location.

I trimmed the rear of the e-brake handle so it wouldn't rub the tray insert once it's in.

ebrake.jpg

post-5-1088463452.jpg

Edited by jj big shoe

I had to move the t-case shifter as well to match the cut-out in the JGC console. Just remove it and heat it up the base with a torch. I had it pretty well centered, but when the shop put my new trans in, the guy notched out part of the trim on the console around it to make it fit. He used the modified lever from the old t-case lever, but I guess he felt it was necessary. Lazy.

shifter1.jpg

post-5-1088464570.jpg

Edited by jj big shoe

Here it is in the truck. It feels a little different because it's sits higher and the arm rest pad is a bit closer to the dash, but it feels good now that I'm used to it. People say it looks stock. The paint matches perfectly and now I have cup holders.

installed1.jpg

post-5-1088464862.jpg

Edited by jj big shoe

Here's another shot of it.

The only problem is the seat belt reciever. The console is a tight fit and my pathy is a two door, so when you slide the seat forward to get in the back, the hinge bolts for the front seat backs will push the belt retainer under the seat and you have to dig it back out. A little re-engineering is in order when I get the time.

installed2.jpg

post-5-1088464940.jpg

Edited by jj big shoe

• 1 year later...

:o I noticed the R50 also!!!

That guys neighbors truck is probably why he decided to get a new console as that JGC console is very very (scary, sheep and all) close to the R50 stocker!!

GRRRREAT mod by the way!!! So when are you getting an R50 so that you can design new stuff for our models too?!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

In the picture shown, it's a 2.5-3" suspension lift, with 32" tires. That's it in terms of lifts. I thought I remember you talking about a BL, jj....am I wrong?

Thanks, Harv. It's a 3" suspension lift (really more like 2.5") and a 2" body lift on 32" BFG A/Ts. Plus a fair amount of fender trimming in the front. I'm not a big fan of body lifts so I went with the 2" and extra trimming on the fenders so as not to crumple the piss out of them again.

I didn't research what console would fit best, I just went to the junkyard and looked around until I saw something cheap that looked like it might work and the '93ish JGC fit the bill. I've also swapped the seats out with a set from a '94 Acura Integra, which are about 3" thinner which gives the console lid enough room to open smoothly. It'll work with the stock seats, but it will be tight.

I also chopped the bottom 3" of the storage insert off and fiberglassed a new bottom for it while I was doing some bodywork. I was tired of the e-brake handle knocking against it and if you ever saw how rediculously deep it was to begin with you'd know that losing 3" of it is no big deal.

sweet...yea I was looking around on ebay for future refs b/c I liked the whole cupholder thing but damn their expensive and they vary a good bit...

any major mods for the teg seats? that would be a great upgrade for my 87 since the GF is still bummed she sold her rice rocket a couple years ago (it was a 2 dr integra) I think she would dig the seats

Thanks, Harv. It's a 3" suspension lift (really more like 2.5") and a 2" body lift on 32" BFG A/Ts. Plus a fair amount of fender trimming in the front. I'm not a big fan of body lifts so I went with the 2" and extra trimming on the fenders so as not to crumple the piss out of them again.

JJ was the fender crumple due to the width or the height of the tyres? Most folks here in the Uk tend to opt for 265/75 tyres for 32" on their Montero's what i also own but i opted for 235/85 to get the same height and haven't had any problems.... hence my thinking for the Pathy? What's your experience & tyre choice that you've currently chosen?

Harv.

any major mods for the teg seats?

Nah, not really. You have to use the rails from your Pathy seats and figure a way to graft them on the bottom of the 'Tegs. I didn't have access to a welder at the time so I made brackets from angle iron with a hacksaw and a drill. Not pretty, but functional. Just be completely sure your driver's seat is centered. Mine was off about 3/4" and it drove me nuts until I fixed it.

JJ was the fender crumple due to the width or the height of the tyres?

A little of both, plus the backspacing and the three feet I launched the front up into the air. I have 32"x11.5" BFG A/T's on 15"x8" rims with 3.75" backspacing and, at the time, a 2.5"-3" suspension lift with minimal fender trimming (I've since added a 2" body lift). I think if I had an inch either way (body height, tire height, tire width or backspacing) I would've been alright, but I stilll wouldn't recommend trying it. :skull:

citrus032.jpg

post-253-1192759109_thumb.jpg

Edited by jj big shoe

• 6 months later...