Can you repack the wheel bearings on a '97 4x4 Pathfinder?

ntwrkguy1

Apparently the guy at the alignment shop says I need to have the front wheel bearings repacked on my '97 4x4. He tried to set the alignment, but said due to the bearings being 'loose', he could not get it set correctly.

How difficult of a job is this? The shop quoted me $120 to do it, so it seems like they are treating it at about 1.5 hours of labor. And also, is there a difference between bearings that are bad and bearings that need to be replaced? I'm assuming if they were shot, they would be making some grinding noise.

Yes, they can be repacked... it's not a hard job, just a messy one... I've done it a few times on my truck. Not sure if there are any how to's online/on the board...

We just replaced the DS bearings on mine, as they were shot, and yes, they were grinding & making a ruckus.

Networkguy- $120 for repacking both front bearings is a pretty good deal. But if you want to save the money and learn a little, you can follow the instructions for an Xterra bearing repack here (Xterra and Pathfinder bearings are the same). You can get some more ideas by looking at some of the steps of a bearing repack I've done on my 97 Pathfinder here and complete hub replacement here. Details about removing the outer hub cap are shown here.

A bearing repacking tool is essential, a grease gun is helpful, and disposable latex gloves are highly recommended. You'll need to replace the inner grease seals when you repack the bearings. The parts are cheap (<$10 each). When removing the inner bearing and grease seal, place the hub face-up on the ground or workbench, but suspend it a couple of inches above the work surface, so that you can tap out the bearing and seal from the top using the handle of a hammer (or other non-metal instrument). The Xterra how-to shows prying the seal out with pliers or a screwdriver from the rear, which can be overly destructive.

Edited by XPLORx4

I just paid $30.00 just for the seals from Nissan. $120.00 sounds reasonable. I want to say Nissan recomends repack at 80k under maintanace guidelines???? But that could have been one of my other cars