Differential Plugs Stuck-whats next?

raftingkayaker

:confused: Had all the fluids changed in my new to me 96 Pathfinder SE (108500miles) along with new timing belt and H2O pump. Mechanics at Made in Japan said he could not service the rear differential because the plugs would not come out. Broke one bit with power tool and started to strip plug with second. Service adviser said they could heat it up, then try again, but a good chance they would have to drill it out, then get the metal shavings out of the differential. He finally advised waiting until problems develop with the rear diff. before doing anything else. What would the sage experts on this forum suggest? :bow:

I have yet to see a rear diff check plug that won't come out with a breaker bar and some weight behind it. I worked at Jiffy Lube for 'bout a year and every RWD vehicle that I worked on got it's plug pulled to check the fluid level. :)

:D Well, I took "something cool" and "88 pathyoffroads" advise, applied PB Penetrating Catalyst last PM and took my pathy over to Jiffy Lube. After the first tech couldn't muscle it off with standard tools, he called over a bigger tech with "Big Bertha" (basically a hollow aluminum or steel bar". He was able to pry the plugs off. Now all the fluids in my 1996 are fresh! :rolleyes:

Next I'll try out the CRC Air-Intake Cleaner on the sticky throttle linkage as advised in another thread.

:D Well, I took "something cool" and "88 pathyoffroads" advise, applied PB Penetrating Catalyst last PM and took my pathy over to Jiffy Lube. After the first tech couldn't muscle it off with standard tools, he called over a bigger tech with "Big Bertha" (basically a hollow aluminum or steel bar". He was able to pry the plugs off. Now all the fluids in my 1996 are fresh! :rolleyes:

Next I'll try out the CRC Air-Intake Cleaner on the sticky throttle linkage as advised in another thread.

Right on. Nothing a properly sized cheater bar and some motivation can't solve.