How To: Replace Your Starter on a 1987-95

BigMike

Remove the battery to make room unless you have small hands.... Well you really do not have to remove it but i did made my life easier... Im mr big hands :takebow:

I had a hellofatime getting the starter out of the peehole it gave me to remove!

Hey 88 if you selling your old tires i will take them off you? :)

I need some used meety tires asap!

• 4 months later...

Here's a stupid newbie question. I pulled into my garage after work on Friday. Saturday morning I decided to go buy a new TV and the wife did'nt think she had room in her Saturn SC2 to hold it....so I drove. When trying to start the truck it just kept turning over, but did'nt start. After each try I heard the starter spinning. So, today I plan to crawl underneath and pull the starter, take it to the parts store and have them check it out. Does anybody else think that this sounds like a starter problem? I figured it was either that or something fuel related.

• 3 weeks later...

i took mine to a place near where i work. auto services?

like 88 said you can rebuild them your self, just need the brushes. that and not loosing any of the parts. i just didnt have time to do mine my self

• 1 year later...

I bought a starter last fall at autozone for about $120, comes with a Lifetime warranty. Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna have to go through the 3-hour-royal-PITA it is to replace it, but... I am willing to take a chance on their rebuilt starter if at least I won't have to pay for parts if it breaks again.

BTW- I have used their warranty service on an alternator in the past and it was smooth sailing. no troubles there.

- D

• 1 year later...

No start this morning, will be swapping starters from the parts car tonight. (and feed the Mosquitos). I got it to crank yesterday by bumping the starter. Hoped this would get me to the weekend. Sometimes one bump is all you get i guess?

EDIT:

Crap! :P '92 connectors on starter are different than my '87. That was a good waste of 2 hours. since I had it off, I sprayed the plug contacts with cleaner hoping maybe I got some corrosion, but no good. No start. I'll be bumming the mini-van from the fuming wife til Friday.

Edited by dagwoodzz

• 1 month later...
Funny, it took me like 30 minutes to take mine out the first time.

Must be easier for you guys with lifts... currently my starter is half way out and in :P ... I have been working on it for an hour now and I can't seem to get it to go forward any more.. I keep getting the dumb bracket thing stuck on the transmission lines (atleast I think they are tranny lines) then I rotate it to get it unstuck from the tranny lines and now the solenoid is hitting something... arg...

any advice?

Guess I will go back at it..

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem. It just recently stopped randomly. I got my starter/batt/alt all checked after I changed my alt and the guy said everything seems to be good but I dont belive him since my S*** WASNT STARTING CORRECTLY! I have been told a few times that it could be my batt. My alt was overcharging apperently and the day I changed it the batt was like BLOWING up, it was expanding which was kinda scary. Ever since I changed the alt the batt hasnt done anything.

I am gonna change out my batt here soon and see if everything goes well.

Rami

I was at Checker today, because my pathy was doing the same thing.... 3 clicks, then a start... or 20 clicks, and a start....when i asked him to check my starter, he said their little "checker machine thing" would say it is completely fine if it starts.... the starter just has a dead spot... will work sometimes, and sometimes wont... and therefor, you need to have a new one put in. eventually it will just completely die.... tons of clicks, but no turnover.

Edited by zeppelindrummer

• 2 months later...

Here is the story and what is going on.

I was able to start the Pathy when I would pump the clutch for awhile. After that nothing.

Battery Good/Alternator good.

When I turn the key I get 1 click.

On Saturday I replaced the Starter and it fired right up. Today I went home @ lunch and I am having the same problem. 1 click and then nothing.

The Starter I put in was remanufactured. Bought it from Autozone.

Any thoughts?

Clutch switch? If so how do I verify?

Bad Starter? PITA!!

Take the small wire off the starter(the solenoid wire) Put your volt meter on Vdc...black to ground somewhere on the truck and the red lead on that wire. Put your clutch in to see if there is a signal(12V) to the starter. If there is a signal then the solenoid is bad.

If there is no signal. Then you have to find the starting/interlock relay under the dash. Pull that out and test it. I should show you on the relay how the contact are wired up. 2 for the coil and 2 for the N.O. contacts. Put 12V on the Coil side and test for continuity with an OHM meter. If that tests ok then your clutch switch is bad.

If you can get at the clutch switch. Pull the wire off of that and put an ohm meter between the contact and ground. Operate the pedal and check for continuity to ground. There should be 0ohms. If there are two wires on the switch then put the meter between both of the contacts on the switch and test for continuity that way.

This doesn't have to be done in this order....

Edited by cbcaper

• 2 months later...

Basically, you need to disassemble the whole thing, take the electric motor apart and replace the brushes. I ordered brushes from a local auto parts place, took a couple of days but they were able to order them fine. Cost me around $7 IIRC.

If you've never done any electric motor work, I wouldn't really recommend it but hey, if you're in it to win it it couldn't hurt. ;)

So I was googling for rebuilding pathfinder starter, and what do I find...

..a photo of YOURS you posted somewhere else, lol..dang bro, you are famous

starter1.jpg

Which part in that photo is the 'brush'. Also if you rebuild starter, do you get a new solenoid or not?

Second part from the left is the armature with the brushes in it. Brushes are small blocks of carbon with copper wire embedded that transfer electrical power from the battery to the commutator and back out of the starter. They are spring-loaded to keep in solid contact with the surface of the commutator. When the brushes wear out(carbon is very soft), they no longer transfer electricity smoothly and you end up with the starter losing the ability to start the vehicle reliably because power can't transfer from the brushes through the commutator.

You have to thoroughly clean the whole thing and solder the brush wiring back into the armature. Not an easy task with all the oil that gets in there... The solenoid usually doesn't fail, so I left mine alone. The solenoid is where all the battery cables hook up and the wiring plug is, the part to the far right at top.

One last final question before you hit me with a tierod, is it normal electrical soldering? Like my deskbench Weller soldering tool is suffice? Or Soldering with power, like propane torch? I'm sure spraying something like Spray9 and wiping it will eventually get the oil out :crossedwires:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Strange - I just unbolted my starter and got it up between the fender well and the exhaust manifold. Didn't drain the oil or remove any other parts! It was a PITA though. You need to have socket extensions and universal joints. The worst part was - The POS starter I got from Advance auto parts was bad and I had to do the whole job all over again the next day. I just got my money back and bought a remanufactured one from the dealer.

Edited by captainsae

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its always fun. I had to replace mine a couple years ago, then I got a defective reman'd unit, which ended up with 3 or so installs. Swapped it again, then a year ago or so, it died. Pulled it, tested fine, replaced. And again... Wouldn't you know, the wiring between the ignition and starter had fried. After lots of cussing and a few adult beverages until I figured that out, I bypassed and rewired with a relay now in the circuit. As I figure, I've had it out 5 or 6 times, and can report:

1) no weird extentions or joints are required, just 1 long extension and a few tries

2) just drop the front splash/skid plate, the starter really will barely slide out with the right amount of twists and turns. It took me forever on the way out to get it right, but eventually with practice you can almost curse it into place. ;) With practice, it was about a 10-15min exercise in wrenching and linguistics.

ah you have a 5-speed so it's a little easier for you. Us suckers with auto trannies have to spend some extra time bending the tranny cooler lines out of the way before you can slide the starter out the front end. FYI, i have a calmini steering and i had to turn the wheel all the way to one side before i had enough room to get it out.

They recommend you replace the inhibitor relay at the same time you do the starter, but i never bothered.