Are special tools needed to replace o2 sensor?

BobLoblaw

I read in another topic that the newer model Pathy ('96+) needed a special tool/socket to be removed. Do I need a special tool to remove/replace my o2 sensor in my '94? Any tips for easy removal/replacement would also be appreciated. I got to deal with a few feet of snow here!

I read in another topic that the newer model Pathy ('96+) needed a special tool/socket to be removed. Do I need a special tool to remove/replace my o2 sensor in my '94? Any tips for easy removal/replacement would also be appreciated. I got to deal with a few feet of snow here!

A wrench of the appropriate size is all that is required. Our sensor isn't in a weird location, so it does not need a socket to remove.

You will also want to soak it in penetrating lube (SeaFoam, Kroil. NOT WD40) for a day before attempting it.

mine was a pita.. it was spot welded.. i ended up destroying it to get it out.

Mine is like that too! I've left it alone for now, but I think I'm gonna have to replace the whole pipe. It won't budge.

Why would someone do that? Surely they didn't come from the factory tacked like that.

Well... the bung or fitting that the O2 sensor screws into is welded to the pipe. If the O2 sensor has been in there longer than it's supposed to, it can look like it's part of the sensor. And if you're in a rust-promoting environment or the previous person didn't use antiseize, it may have rust-welded together.

Okay, I'm finally getting to take a look at the pathy and I can't find the bloody o2 sensor. Mind you, it is -20C almost and pitch black (other than my .

Where is the o2 sensor located and what's the best way to attack this thing?

Where is the o2 sensor located and what's the best way to attack this thing?

The Intermediate Pipe pictured in Yellow:

WalkerExhaust.jpg

It's around the driver-side door, inside the frame.

That's the Walker PN BTW. Sold by O'reilly.

Wow, thanks for the diagram! I'll be sliding under my Pathy tomorrow (in the snow) to check it out.

I was going to replace my current o2 sensor with a NTK (Part# 24157), $86.00. Is this the best option or are their better/cheaper o2 sensors?