Turbo idea?

purdyboy89

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets not forget that eaton M62 and eaton M90 superchargers can be bolted directly to the lower manifold. someone said they don't provide much but 40 ftlbs @ 4 psi of boost seems like allot to me esp when thats the stock pulley. And lets not forget 40 ftllbs from a supercharger is felt across the board vs equal or more from a turbo that you have to wait for it to spool up.

Sorry I guess I'm stuck on the whole SC Idea and wont budge maybe I'll do one in the far future.(after my VG36 wich is also far away)

have you considered the self-contained centrifugal superchargers?? they make 8-9 psi boost and are belt driven, they are small, could go where the A/C pump is. here is some pics of a kit for the g35 from Vortec, for a good example.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=117

img-117-0-xlarge.jpg

img-118-1-xlarge.jpg

Edited by slade420

Ok, i found THE best one in my opinion, for our trucks.

Vortech V-9 F-Trim Supercharger

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=17

Max Boost: 13.5 PSI

"The V-9 Series is ideal for applications where space around the engine is a consideration, as with GM F-Body and Sport Compact vehicles. Designed for engines ranging in size from 1.2L to 6.0L, the V-9 features our AirAssist/Power Drain lubrication system, exclusive D-port volute for improved efficiency and a V-band volute clamp for easy under-hood packaging."

Price: $2096.95

img-17-0-xlarge.jpg

WOW! Not enough room for turbo's but you can fit a chevy v8! Are they that small!!! How about rebuilding the motor for torque and gearing to match then learn to drive a stick and use the engine's potential instead of wasting it on a lot of rotating mass in an auto? If you are looking for gas economy go buy a Prius, if you want power go buy a Vette! If you want cheap fun to play off road now and then the Pathfinder works great! I will be putting in a later model VG30 when mine goes and using a MegaSquirt to control it, good cams and exhaust, K&N and Snorkel with an electric fan! I will also increase the compression to 9 to 1! Should work well enough for me!

WOW! Not enough room for turbo's but you can fit a chevy v8! Are they that small!!! How about rebuilding the motor for torque and gearing to match then learn to drive a stick and use the engine's potential instead of wasting it on a lot of rotating mass in an auto? If you are looking for gas economy go buy a Prius, if you want power go buy a Vette! If you want cheap fun to play off road now and then the Pathfinder works great! I will be putting in a later model VG30 when mine goes and using a MegaSquirt to control it, good cams and exhaust, K&N and Snorkel with an electric fan! I will also increase the compression to 9 to 1! Should work well enough for me!

Um the compression already is 9:1 so how about 9.5 or 10:1(it was 8.5 & 8.7 for the turbo motors) also why not go with a newer VG33, go big or go home!

a friend of mine swapped a 3.3 into his 300zx, left the stock internals, bolted back on his stock turbo kit, ran 10psi and was making 310 ft/lbs of tq at just under 3000rpm. You can get turbos to perform at different rmps. I wouldn't cancel it out all the way. That was on the 3.3 though and not the 3.0L.

a friend of mine swapped a 3.3 into his 300zx, left the stock internals, bolted back on his stock turbo kit, ran 10psi and was making 310 ft/lbs of tq at just under 3000rpm. You can get turbos to perform at different rmps. I wouldn't cancel it out all the way. That was on the 3.3 though and not the 3.0L.

10lbs boost on 9:1 pistons I imagine it was pretty quick :) I hope he only puts premium in it. A larger displacement on the same turbo should make it spool sooner so I bet the power came on allot sooner(and harder) in his 3.3 than when it had a 3.0

Just to add visuals to what has been said so far...

butter_vg831.jpg

This engine has the z31 manifolds and crossover pipe. The intake is not a stock z31.

twisted_300zx078.jpg

This has a stock z31 intake and the crossover pipe. You can see the amount of overhang the intake also has.

1.JPG

2.JPG

For anyone thinking of putting in a VQ30det, it has the same crossover pipe set-up.

The only realistic way to do this is use custom exhaust manifolding or a remote set-up. Here is a twin turbo SOHC pathfinder. I made links so I wouldn't kill anyone on dialup.

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

As for the supercharger it will fit with the appropriate lower intake. Getting the belt and pulleys arranged is another beast to tackle entirely.

VG33ER Supercharger Manifold Layout

wd22_ER_us.jpg

Hey, who did the Turbo job on this Pathfinder, because I'm tempted to do a twin Turbo job to my Pathfinder.

Here is the list of parts needed...

(Exclusively Z32)

I highlighted and quoted this part, because the z32 has a DOHC vg30de or vg30dett, completely different block, heads, etc. etc.

some parts may interchange, but most won't; this list doesn't apply to our trucks.

Edited by BenStoked

I highlighted and quoted this part, because the z32 has a DOHC vg30de or vg30dett, completely different block, heads, etc. etc.

some parts may interchange, but most won't; this list doesn't apply to our trucks.

Same bock, differant heads. Too wide to fit between our fenderwells...

If you really wanted to do a TT conversion and you don't do a lot of water crossings etc. how about some custom top mount headers with the turbos sticking through the bonnet/hood (assuming theres room of course)? It might be a bit laggy but the sound at full noise would be incredible lol. Just an idea...

what about a single turbo-setup.?save some room. or what about a remote turbo setup

heres some info from Squires Turbo Systems http://ststurbo.com/the_technology

'Benefits of STS Remote-Mounted Turbochargers'

** "Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer,

The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an aftermarket performance muffler.

# Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.

# Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components

Lower under-hood temperature, Cooler oil to the turbo

THIS PART MIGHT BE DECIDING FACTOR >>> No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems!!!!!!!!!.<<<

For under the hood, i still prefer the centrifugal super charger set up. no stupid exhaust piping taking up precious room and extreme turbo temps, most have internal cooling, no need to drill a hole in your oil pan or engine . the temperature difference alone sways me.

but thats just my opinion. here is a power curve map that compares a Stock 350z hp,Greddy Turbo 350z, Vortech SC centrifugal-supercharged 350z, and a Stillen Stage 2 SC (roots style) supercharger.

0609impp_08z+turbo_vs_supercharger+dyno_chart.jpg

Results

Red: Vortech SC - 336HP/295TQ 2nd

Green: Stillen Stage 2 SC - 313HP/285TQ 3rd

Blue: Greddy Turbo 350z - 347HP/322TQ 1st

Grey: 2003 Nissan 350Z - 232HP/223TQ Stock

heres some cool example pictures from a Import Tuner article:

Turbocharger vs Supercharger: Which Is Right For You?

photo_04.html

0609impp_09z+turbo_vs_supercharger+vortech_cutaway.JPG.jpg

0609impp_03z+turbo_vs_supercharger+vortech_supercharger.JPG.jpg

img_2176.jpg

just gotta do something about the air filter. gotta mount it somewhere water tight. like in the cab haha. listen to that woooooosh!

Edited by slade420

vortech sc 336HP, nice power curve, i justnoticed how power spikes at 5000rpm 6000rpm and 6500rpm, 165 hp jump from 5000rpm to 6000rpm and 21hp jump from 6000 to 7000.

vortech centrifugal supercharger starts making power at 2000rpm, greddy turbo starts @ 2500 on the350z.

i think our engines red-line at a lot lower rpm

oh yea it did, went for a ride and it was very powerful. He also swapped a Q45 engine into another 300zx he owns.

i know who your talking about im on the z31performance page becasue i have a z31 na currently but will be swapping to a turbo one.

just gotta do something about the air filter. gotta mount it somewhere water tight. like in the cab haha. listen to that woooooosh!

I stand by my opinion that remote mount turbos are just horrible ideas. And unless you run your air filter to the front of the vehicle or in the passenger compartment you'll never keep water and all from getting in the engine.

If you only drive it in dry conditions it's fine I'm sure. But still, i just don't think they are worth the trouble