Turbo idea?

purdyboy89

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with all the information i can find the 3.0 in the pathys and the 3.0 in the 300zx are almost completly alike? would it be possible to bolt on a set of 300zx manifolds/headers and turbo to a pathfinder?

I would like a 4x4 2.4 L 4 cyl turbo , I think it would be great, 250hp to the wheels, :chairfall:

I would like a 4x4 2.4 L 4 cyl turbo , I think it would be great, 250hp to the wheels, :chairfall:

Ya! The more I learn, the more I think the k24 has more potential (turbo or not).

Edited by crazyhayseed

With 8:1 compression the VG30 is a prime canidate for forced induction.

I have seen remote turbo kits that bolt on near the muffler,

but I think there is an eaton SC from a thunderbird that fits nicely.

Used to be a video of some dude smoking the crap out of his tires with it on.

Personally, my Path ahs all the power I need. gets me up every hill, and through every mud bog I have tried so far.

The only performance modifications I would do would be for better gas mileage (turbos increase fuel efficiency BTW)

You guys gotta remember that not everyone has enough brains to keep from shredding a tire or breaking an axle when boost comes in while on the rocks. You can always route the exhaust to the front of the motor and mount a turbo somewhere in the front.

It just seems to me that, in terms of after market support and mod/dollar to output ratio, the KA is the better of the two motors. I was really surprised at what low numbers the VG is rated stock.

I don't see why the KA24DE wouldn't mount in place of the 24E. The trick would be in the tranny I suppose. That, and the differentials. I get the impression that the VG has the better of the two there.

The four banger has to better on gas as well.

Again, I'm not really including forced induction here. I mean overall performance ability.

Edited by crazyhayseed

Yeah, while being the same engine, the exhaust is completely different on a turbo Z. Unless you tunneled out the firewall you couldn't fit the turbo exhaust since it crosses OVER the bell housing at the rear of the engine. Now if you are into trying to make your own custom piping, give it a go if you think you can cram everything in our tiny engine bay.

I think Garrett's "Disco Potato" (GT2860RS) would be good with the 2.4 in terms of lag, but I dunno if it would give you the high torque that a truck requires.

In off-roading, I would imagine that you need to make high numbers in the low end. Is there any type of forced induction that can promise that?

You could set up a small turbo and wastegate so that it was always boosting at idle, but then the truck would fall on its face in the midrange and top end.

The only way to get "power everywhere" with forced induction is a supercharger, which is what Nissan did with the supercharged VG33ER in the Frontier and Xterra from 01-04. The KA's design doesn't exactly lend itself to easy supercharger installation, while you can take any VG, swap the intake manifold for the manifold/blower arrangement off the VG33ER, swap the pulleys/accessories, and hey presto, a blower motor.

FYI, the numbers for the VG33ER are 210 hp (157 kW) at 4800 rpm with 246 ft·lbf (334 Nm) of torque at 2800 rpm. That's with the stock pulley. If you fit a smaller pulley and an intercooler, you can get 100/100 more.

• 6 months later...
You could set up a small turbo and wastegate so that it was always boosting at idle, but then the truck would fall on its face in the midrange and top end.

The only way to get "power everywhere" with forced induction is a supercharger, which is what Nissan did with the supercharged VG33ER in the Frontier and Xterra from 01-04. The KA's design doesn't exactly lend itself to easy supercharger installation, while you can take any VG, swap the intake manifold for the manifold/blower arrangement off the VG33ER, swap the pulleys/accessories, and hey presto, a blower motor.

FYI, the numbers for the VG33ER are 210 hp (157 kW) at 4800 rpm with 246 ft·lbf (334 Nm) of torque at 2800 rpm. That's with the stock pulley. If you fit a smaller pulley and an intercooler, you can get 100/100 more.

how do you propose to install an intercooler on a manifold mounted super charger?

This is intriguing. I have a friend with an extra supercharger off his 03 Xterra SC that he (maybe only partially jokingly) offered me for my truck. I wonder if it would really be that easy to swap over to my VG30. Might be worth a look if it is.

This is intriguing. I have a friend with an extra supercharger off his 03 Xterra SC that he (maybe only partially jokingly) offered me for my truck. I wonder if it would really be that easy to swap over to my VG30. Might be worth a look if it is.

I think I heard somwhere that the VG33ER supercharger will bolt to A VG30e. Hopefully all you have to figure out is the pulley, boost control (possibly steal from xterra) and maybe some piggy back, modified or differant ecu that knows what to do with that boost(more air & fuel etc.)

I'm chanting "doo it! doo it! doo it!" right now so good luck!

I think I heard somwhere that the VG33ER supercharger will bolt to A VG30e. Hopefully all you have to figure out is the pulley, boost control (possibly steal from xterra) and maybe some piggy back, modified or differant ecu that knows what to do with that boost(more air & fuel etc.)

I'm chanting "doo it! doo it! doo it!" right now so good luck!

Well for the belt you could probably use a longer belt for the a/c and attach it to the s/c as well....

Just to add visuals to what has been said so far...

butter_vg831.jpg

This engine has the z31 manifolds and crossover pipe. The intake is not a stock z31.

twisted_300zx078.jpg

This has a stock z31 intake and the crossover pipe. You can see the amount of overhang the intake also has.

1.JPG

2.JPG

For anyone thinking of putting in a VQ30det, it has the same crossover pipe set-up.

The only realistic way to do this is use custom exhaust manifolding or a remote set-up. Here is a twin turbo SOHC pathfinder. I made links so I wouldn't kill anyone on dialup.

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

tt_path

As for the supercharger it will fit with the appropriate lower intake. Getting the belt and pulleys arranged is another beast to tackle entirely.

VG33ER Supercharger Manifold Layout

wd22_ER_us.jpg

wow thanks for the run-down zbeck! that twin turbo pathy looks crowded as hell (hates crammed engine bays). so with proper manifolds, upgraded injectors, pulley set-up and SC parts it looks like it can be done right? Is there anykind of boost control or blow-off required for a supercharger? How will the ECU react?

How will your MPG's be Impacted? anyone know MPG's of a VG33e vs VG33ER (SC fronter vs N/A frontier)?