wtf negative camber from lift?

nick9871

I put a OME HD lift on my brothers 98 pathfinder a few months ago. I told him to go get an alignment after a few weeks. I didnt look at the alignment after the lift, it looked normal to me but i knew that it would probably need to be adjusted. Well he waited 2 months and he went to les schawb to get it aligned and it was 2.4 degrees NEGATIVE camber in the front!!! so the tires are sitting like this / \ . I have never had this happen with a lift kit. Could the springs be defective? Will camber bolts be able to repair this negative camber?

I put a OME HD lift on my brothers 98 pathfinder a few months ago. I told him to go get an alignment after a few weeks. I didnt look at the alignment after the lift, it looked normal to me but i knew that it would probably need to be adjusted. Well he waited 2 months and he went to les schawb to get it aligned and it was 2.4 degrees NEGATIVE camber in the front!!! so the tires are sitting like this / \ . I have never had this happen with a lift kit. Could the springs be defective? Will camber bolts be able to repair this negative camber?

Wow that is unusual. are you sure they arent posotive camber \ /? Anyway you should be able to get most of the camber out of it with camber bolts, I think some that I have seen for our pathys are good for 0-2.5 degrees of adjustment.

Camber bolts can help correct the negative camber, but it's possible that the struts are bent, or that they were installed incorrectly. It would be better to at least verify that everything's straight and installed properly before proceeding.

Camber bolts can help correct the negative camber, but it's possible that the struts are bent, or that they were installed incorrectly. It would be better to at least verify that everything's straight and installed properly before proceeding.

Is it possible to have installed the struts backwards? I would imagine they are 1. labeled and 2. would only fit correctly on the correct sides...

And yes to the picture post, it is definitely negative camber / \

I would think bent struts..

well that sucks for him. Guess he should've gone and done what I had asked him to do...

You know what, now that I think about it, he had an alignment because I got him some new wheels and tires after the lift as well. I would imagine they would have said something about negatve 2.4 degrees of camber. I know that he has been wheeling since then. I have never owned an off road vehicle with IFS up front and struts for suspension. Is it physically possible to "bend" the strut or other suspension components enough to through you out of camber?

Yes. having the front struts take a hard landing and bottoming out can easily bend them. I've easily bent 2 having that happen.

Me too. I had a really hard landing on the front suspension in Death Valley (hit a series of whoop-de-doos, and came down hard on the up-side of a whoop). Had to replace both struts. They were slightly bent just above where they bolt to the hub assembly.

The struts can't be installed backwards, but if the top mount is not aligned properly with the bottom mount, that could cause a problem. That's what I mean by "installed incorrectly."

The yellow marks must aligned:

13strut_alignmark.jpg

Me too. I had a really hard landing on the front suspension in Death Valley (hit a series of whoop-de-doos, and came down hard on the up-side of a whoop). Had to replace both struts. They were slightly bent just above where they bolt to the hub assembly.

The struts can't be installed backwards, but if the top mount is not aligned properly with the bottom mount, that could cause a problem. That's what I mean by "installed incorrectly."

The yellow marks must aligned:

13strut_alignmark.jpg

Ok well I checked out the struts and it was scary. Basically where the strut passes through the top hat (the small hole) had become oblong. So there was about a 1.5" long oblong hole where the top of the strut moved back and forth in. Which explains the negative camber, the shaking, the noises etc. What was scary was the top of the strut, where it had been rubbing through the tophat had sort of dwindled. In other words the strut post was "toothpicked" at the top. I deemed the car undriveble and will have to order new struts and top hats.

What I am concerned about is why this happened. I remembered that when I put the struts in I had the local nissan dealership assemble the sruts and springs. What the heck could they have done for this to happen? Or is it possible that the OME struts I received were the wrong model?

• 5 years later...

Any update on this?

nick9871Member Since 19 Dec 2006

OFFLINE Last Active Feb 10 2009 05:15 AM

Don't hold your breath.

First we flame members for not using the search feature. When they do, we flame them for it! (I'm guilty too) :lol:

For the record sroeser01, I went with two sets (two camber bolt per strut) and have had success. Some other active members here have not (for reasons none of us can figure) and have slotted the top strut mount holes so that they could manually angle them. If I could do it again, I'd just slot the top bolt holes and save some coin. :aok:

• Like 2

It would help if people update their forum topics when the issue is resolved and also request that a mod/admin mark the title as "resolved" or "fixed".

3uph2t.jpg

Edited by Leo94

Something like that would be nice but all too often the question is never known if solved or not :shrug: like said though the op has to let us know if/how an issue was solved to begin with

Would like to know more about slotting the strut mounts...

Yea not sure about the slotting myself or how to do it

Rocky 2 had a thread on the subject, if you want to get flamed you can search for it or if I can get my fat arse away from the TV I'll try to find it for ya.