torque converter bolts

Joey

Ok, i am dropping the transmission in my 1990 pathfinder 4x4 and I am getting throught it pretty good so far. I just took the starter off so i can access the torque converter bolts, yet i cannot get to the bolts. I can see them but do not have a clue on how to get a socket or a wrench in there to get them out. Any ideas???

Thank you!!

I seem to recall that taking the starter out isn't enough. There's a plate there that, when removed, will allow better access. Disconnect your coil and turn the engine/converter by hand on the crankshaft pully (big socket)

If its the same as an 88, its a pain in the ass unless you have the right tools.

I ended up pulling this plate out because I thought it would give me more access to the bolts. But I don't think it did much.

post-559-1201308807_thumb.jpg

What I ended up doing, was using a ratchet with a long extension and then a flex head extension on the end with the socket. The flexing extension allows you to get a socket on the bolts. You might want to try dropping the plate i posted in the picture, but it was a pain to get out, and if you have the flex head, then you shouldn't need to. They're tight as hell too, lock-tited in there.

good luck.

now that I think about it, you might need to pull the bolts holding that plate in there anyways b/c i think they secure the block to the tranny.

Edited by madhatter_xe

Yep, you're going to have to remove that plate that Madhatter_xe posted. Only way.

I think i used a 3 or 6" extension to get to the bolt and held the crank down with a cheater bar to torque the tc bolts loose. BTW, I just finished replacing the RMS and oil pan.

ok well my plate looks different then that one pictured. It is about half the size, and there is still a big metal gasket that needs to come out, would that be a gasket that went around the whole tranny? or what?

DSCN4053.jpg

with lower plate removed and one of the 4 flexplate/tc bolts exposed. Slight difference from what you will see since i'm running a different oil pan and I have a Dana 44 up front....

here's a before picture with the original 4x4 deep sump pan:

DSCN3937.jpg

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

Actually, Nissan didn't change until the gen 2 xterras/frontiers because of a different engine platform. The picture you see is off my 93 Pathfinder. I'm using a 2wd oil pan from a turbo z31 so I don't have that deep offset sump getting in the way. Reason I swapped pan was because my front diff on the Dana 44 was hitting the oil pan under full compression. I'm hoping my engine doesn't starve on deep descends....

enough with the post jack. How is the tranny removal going?

• 8 years later...

Does anyone have the part number for the torque converter bolts? I'm missing 2 and can't find where to order them anywhere

Courstesyparts.com or nissanpartsonline.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 5/8/2016 at 11:48 AM, Cuong Nguyen said:

Courstesyparts.com or nissanpartsonline.

I couldn't find them on either of these sites. Anyone have any other ideas, or a part number, or a link to a listing? Or even just the specs? 

I think I have extras from another build, used though if you want them.

I couldn't find them on either of these sites. Anyone have any other ideas, or a part number, or a link to a listing? Or even just the specs? 

5 minutes ago, Cuong Nguyen said:

I think I have extras from another build, used though if you want them.

That would be great, if had at least two, and could mail them to me. May I PM you about it? 

20 minutes ago, Cuong Nguyen said:

I found them on line 90cc9f4eb14e7317d1ffef7aa67ce154.jpg7b926327266dacaae4979d031d88e315.jpg

You are brilliant. I never thought to check that section. Thank you so much! 

It's the 31009, that's exactly what I needed, the part number. I owe you one, @Cuong Nguyen

Edited by Wroth