Which Nissan to buy?

Stan

Within the next six months I want to replace my 2001 Pathfinder 4X4 with something that is only 1-3 years old. What are he suggestions for an equivalent vehicle? The new ride must be as tough as my present vehicle and not fall apart when driven continuously on bumpy roads. It must be capable of having a cat 3 hitch. Ideally it will have a manual transmission, but I suppose that will be next to impossible. Sure wish I could get a diesel.

I know the QX4 is just a Pathfinder in a tux, but are there any advantages with the QX4 over a Pathfinder? Does it have any additional soundproofing or ride any different?

For an equivalent vehicle I will even consider (gasp) a Toyota.

You could pick up a really nice used 05 and up Xterra. Make sure that you get the off road version, it has hill descent control, hill start control, brake applied limited slip, and the all important electronic locking differential. When equipped with the Off road package it is absolutely the best new SUV in its price range, and will out perform what you currently have.... then some.

go with a 05 Mercedes ML500...

Nice, but too pricey.

Thanks for the answers so far. No, I had not considerd the Xterra as I had always presumed it was too small. I checked the specs of the 2005/2006 and see that it has grown and is close to what I have now. The reviews I read all say that it is not that comfortable and is horrible for gas consumption, (one reason why I prefer diesels) but give it reasonably good marks otherwise.

So based on what I have read so far, yes, the Xterra will be considered. Now if only I can get the same thing a tad larger and a lot more comfortable and quieter

• 4 years later...

Xterra was first thing came into my mind when I started reading your post. The 2001-2003 pathfinders were the last good years, after that (for me anyway) they just fell off. Don't get me started on the newest one, it's horrid. If I were you I'd stay in the gen your in now, just move it up a little bit, fresher lower miles 03, maybe 04 but that's it. Hey man those things have 250 hp engines too.

I was also wondering why you're looking to replace your Pathfinder. Is there something major wrong with it, or do you just feel uncomfortable with a decade old vehicle?

EDIT: Oh, ancient thread. Heh.

Edited by Towncivilian